Fishing Baits, they need an explanation and a look into.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Red Worm - Common / Useful in any water (Completely Useless)
    Minnow - Common / Small Bonus in any water (Cheap and easy)
    Hopper - Common / Bonus in Fresh
    Pale Leech - Common / Bonus in any water / Bonus for Blood Leeches
    Sardine - Common / Bonus in Salt / Small Bonus in Fresh or Fetid / as good day or night
    Drudge Leech - Uncommon / Large in Fetid / Bonus in Salt and Fresh
    Herring - Uncommon / Large in Salt / Bonus in Fresh and Fetid / as good Day or Night
    Blood Leech - Rare / Very Large Bonus in Fetid / Large in Salt or Fresh / ++ Very Large bonus for Sharks / Day or Night
    Bait Squid -Rare /Very Large Bonus to catching in Slat Water/Large bonus in Fresh and Fetid/ day or Night

Ok here we go
    Useful - Standard
    Small Bonus - X
    Bonus - XX
    Large Bonus - XXX
    Very Large Bonus - XXXX
    So how dopes this work - If I am fishing in Salt Water and am using Herring is my bonus for catching a fish in salt 2 times better? How about catching a rare?? Take same bait to other water and is it 1x and rares?

So here is how I see fishing .
    Cast into are where you can fish; #s scroll by and you get a roll(s) to see if you catch anything - then another roll to see if junk or a fish - roll for fish type (common or +) - roll for Uncommon or Rare) = end up with a catch.

How many rolls do I get while the time spins? If I am at level 10 fishing and level 100 do I get more rolls per cast??

Notice there is actually 4 diff roles . . .
    Catch
    item or fish
    common or +
    Uncommon or Rare

SO if looking above I can catch anything using a Red Worm
    HOWEVER I can also catch ANYTHING using a Bait Squid

Now if you look at a blood Leech that Very Large Bonus for a Shark will only even get a roll if ALL the rolls = a Rare (in salt water)

Sooo in using a Blood Leech on cast in fetid my chances should be XXX chance to catch ANY fish but does the XXX carry over to the increase chance from Common to rare?

Obviously a Blood Leech in Salt Water should have Catch change XX ok great but am I at Standard chance at roll 2,3,4 and then if on 4 I hit a rare there is another roll at XXX to get s shark.

Port I am sorry but you history with math tell me something in here is fundamentally broken.

If I am using a blood Leech in Fetid I should never catch a Boot or Common both those rolls should be 100% or just skipped and my first roll should be uncommon or rare.

Notice I have not covered the Lava baits as they same the exact same thing.

Now if you are going to just guess stop, I have been fishing since it started and was one of the first to catch one of every fish.

Something is not right, Devs if it is good show me the math.

Or give me 10000 baits in QA and ill cast nd record data, BTW have to put caught nothing back in so I can crunch #s

gtesser, FrostII, Rinaldi and 2 others like this.
  2. Iain

Iain Avatar

I tried to ask for some clarity from Atos's live stream yesterday but he never got round to my question. Like you I just don't understand how the maths work. is it better to go past GM fishing or the water type ? e.g if I want to catch sharks do lock fishing at GM and try to get 100 in salty?

3. Iain

Iain Avatar

Also, what bonus is applied when fishing in the daily pots

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The RNG for fishing is SO EXTREMELY small that using the other baits is pointless. Adding any description to them is a waste of time.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

that not an issue they add PACU to the list easy catch. they appear to be common when active.

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

When I see posts aobut the RNG I just laugh because they make zero sense, everyone knows that RNG is not viable as there si no such thing.

When we are looking at somthign like this lets just be intelligent and use what is given to us % therefore simply a 100 sided dice (EAXMPLE)

so wen you make a first cast I have 73% chance.

that means 1-37 =no catch 38 - 100 catch

So that is just off the cast. If I was using a Red Worm that is the base number then there is another roll (we will use 100 siders as they are easy)

Roll 1 is 50 = equals a catch
    roll 2 now for a Item or a fish no idea what number is what
    Roll 3 is now either a roll for an diff item OR for a type of fish
    roll 4 now is for What common type OR if more which category (Uncommon / Rare / Ultra Rare)
    Roll 5 if one of the categories which one
    Roll 6 which fish in that category

I any of those a bonus can be applied, sooo where and what is it.

As I have said if I am using a Blood Leech
    Roll 1 = 100% Salt / 80% fresh fetid
    Roll 2 = 100 for a fish no matter what
    Roll 3 = should lean toward the more category and less from common in salt and more balance but still in favor of more in fresh /fetid
    roll 4 = now again a choice between which category

so there could be anywhere from 1 roll to 6. And now we again look at how many times is roll # 1 done in each cast?

there are so many possibilities that this is not really easy but still needs to be actually tested.

THERE IS NO WAY FOR US TO TEST THIS UNLESS WE KNOW THE MATH.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, all I know is finding rare bait is hard, and the chance of catching something good is small enough that I don't want to waste my rare bait and I'm just going to hoard them in a chest.

I don't know the right way to fix this, but its in general the problem with building a RNG system only helped by marginal modifiers. Devs should not be afraid to weigh things more when it makes sense.

Synergy Blaize, FrostII and Weins201 like this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The problem is probably the same as a weapon critical chance bonus. I make myself a full supple leather suit of armor that gives what, a 12% weapon critical chance bonus? My weapon has a base 5% critical chance, so 12% of 5 is 0.6. That suit of armor boosts my chance of scoring a critical hit by a whopping 0.6%!

Jaesun likes this.
  9. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Are the current baits even working?

10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Both are kind of why I am doing this I just burned thru 10 Hoppers and found zero diff in just using Minnows. SOOO that is why I am asking.

I know RNGs are hard but if they are used 3 - 6 times in the same skill use they compound the problem exponentially.

FrostII likes this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Chris said he took "You caught nothing" out of the chat log to "reduce clutter" .
    I think he took it out because he doesn't want anyone to produce the numbers showing how many casts it takes before you catch a top tier fish.
    I DARE you to put it back in, @Chris ;)

Synergy Blaize and Weins201 like this.
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

No one yet (that I know of) has done any extensive testing (with actual numbers). We also don’t have the ability to fully replicate a fishing session, because of the various fishing chances in spots.

You could probably run around fishing in a POT bonus area and get some “basic” information and numbers. Then head to the other bonus area and use different bait and collect results there. For obvious reasons, should probably do this on QA when it’s available.

I actually have a chest set up to do exactly this, just.... need time... :(

13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

the only bonus is the Pacu

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

All I know is there is no noticeable change in the % shown to me when I've used different baits. Which makes it feel like they don't work at all. Maybe I just don't fish enough to notice?

Weins201 likes this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The rare baits dont do anything atm

16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

how do you know? Data / numbers please

17. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

I've been told this data is held in the mind of @Bzus

Weins201 likes this.
  18. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Your asking me to go calculate every attempt ive made with various baits.

Youre asking me to “game the play” or whatever. I dont feel like doing that for you. EDIT: or for anyone. I dont feel like doing that in general, not just you :p

Hundreds of minnows vs hundreds of herring, no noticeble difference. If there IS a difference its way too small to notice and therefore isnt doing anything.

Unless you’re trying to game the play.

If your just playing the game, its enough info to know that its making no difference to your game

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Weins201 and Jaesun like this.
  19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I just went to one of the daily bonus pot fishing area and just noticed that. They seem to have taken away the extra 10% success chance you used to find in them. Which now renders them utterly useless. Lol. Well, unless you want to find the completely useless Pacu.

Good to know. I will be conducting tests tonight when I get home from work. At least now I know I don’t have to go to the bonus towns, because they don’t do anything. :D

Weins201 likes this.
  20. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

@Bzus, Soo someone said you might be the man for this.

Questions;
    Are Baits working?
    Look at like the 5th cast I caught a trout with under 1/4 of the timers gone? How many "Casts" are there in the full timer?
    When are the checks made for Catches, types, rarity, . . . ?
    How is the progression in % calculated down and why does not a 100 Skill give more than just Range?

This is what I do often is fish a spot from first cast 73% - <1% then either move on or just go away till it refreshes. Please can we get some explanation and some looking into what is going on.

Also since the day Darkstarr came into a Lava Fishing tourney and repeated over and over how he has no idea what the diff is for two lava lures and you also explain them?

This whole thread has nothing but ??? and statements how nothing is working.

We either need some serious look from you guys, an explanation, or give us back the "Not Caught" and some numbers so we can actually test things.

Fishing is becoming a joke as just another mechanic implemented 1/2 arsed, and left floundering.

PLEASE HELP US ANGLERS OUT

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.