POT Contest - Please tell the news outlets!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Apr 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Sadly I keep watching as great things happen and only Massively and MMORPG even know about them.

Please don't just fire off this contest for a couple of weeks and let it slip off into the past without any fanfare. Spread the word before it even starts so players who aren't in the game yet have a chance to come in and participate.

Advertise it! "Win your own town, a $900 Value!"

Put it on the Discord Activity stream so that players who have left a year ago can suddenly go "Whoa, I could go deco a home and win a town, which I never though was a possibility!"

Please.

2. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

They definitely need to blast this out to all of their backers via email too. Maybe even REDDIT? Nah....

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Where is this?

Boris Mondragon and Jaesun like this.
  4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I agree with you, portal always chooses the least effective way to promote a cool idea. This could be a cool one time deal but it will end up going to someone who doesn’t really need it vrs pulling in mobs of people with hopes to win in.

Yolo SoLive and Boris Mondragon like this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It is coming down the pipe, news announced during the livestreams. While I appreciate @Arkah EMPstrike 's summaries, the summaries are a bit easier to read over at ShroudoftheAvatar.net

I fear that this will be another thing that only we know about. Please do not let that happen. If it takes a month or two to get the buzz going, that is OK!

If there is no buzz, then it is still too early to have the contest. "Ready, Fire, Aim" is not the way to do this one.

Dhanas and Brass Knuckles like this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Lol. Reddit is a cheap advertising venue though, MMORPG sub, this one would be great over in Second Life and the Sims, as much as some people hate the idea of us having anything to do with those games.

Town ownership is the big "Empire Building" step, maybe even the Minecraft sub? Or some simulations?

Boris Mondragon and Astirian like this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

all this shows is how out of touch they are and why they need to just SLOW DOWN.

There is no way this should have came out in a Stream, NONE

Sorry PORT but this is piss poor.

Is the idea good sure, is it going to bring in new players NOT, is it going to show how flawed systems are YEP.

stop trying to move forward and F I N I S H and F I X what is incomplete and Broken.

BTW any time spent even thinking about this and pushing it out is a lot of time that could be used to fix all that is breaking.

Xandra7, Gorthyn, Tiki Pirate and 8 others like this.
  8. Thxforthememories

Thxforthememories Avatar

So, from the livestream summary link you mentioned (thank you for that - it is much easier to parse on that site!) --

PoT Giveaway Deco Contest
    Portalarium will be adding their own contest zone for a new deco contest!

• Each contestant will be allowed to claim a village lot
    • Magic movers will most likely be disabled
    • No specific date for the contest.
    • Contest should run for one week
    • 100k gold or 1,000 crown entry fee
    • The PoT prize will be an overland PoT available in Episode 1 or Episode 2 zones

Before we get too crazy on shouting this from the mountain tops, there are a bunch of caveats - Port should really think through these before going out to the world, because I foresee trouble as currently being thought out, particularly these items -

- 100k gold or 1,000 crown entry fee

That is either an entry fee equivalent to $12 of crown purchases or $7 worth of IGG (or just 100k gold if you don't RMT, which was a least for me, a lot of gold). Regardless of the end prize, that is a pretty big ask of coin, especially if a large number of entrants are allowed (i.e., if 100+ entries are allowed, that $12 in crowns I pretty much flushed down the toilet given the odds). "Win a $900 prize but you must spend $7-$12 to enter (p.s., don't forget you will need to have already bought a ton of deco to stand a chance!)" Should that be advertised?

- a new deco contest

So this is going to be judged based on deco skills? Is Port judging? Players? Both? You know that whoever wins an overland POT based on subjective judging is going to cause a mess, right? For example, if a large backer won, I can just see the conversation about getting a POT because of their spend. The optics are bad even if judging is totally on the level - just asking for trouble.

- a new deco contest!

Making this a deco contest pretty much eliminates any new player from having a chance, because they won't know how to deco effectively let alone have the deco inventory to make a house lot decorated. So this is not going to look feasible to anyone but the current player base, and likely even a smaller subset player base that has acquired a ton of deco. Advertising this as something a new player or someone away from the game could actually win is more than a stretch, so maybe slow that roll.

So, nice to have an idea outside of the box, nice to have a really huge prize, but the design and thought process of how this goes down needs to be thought out pretty carefully. I mean, if Port wants to use this as a trumpet for new players, that is - because the spit balling above is just going cause trouble. If this is just to make existing players happy and suck a few cotos out of them, have at it the way it is envisioned above because it doesn't really matter if that is the goal.

If this is meant to get new players to think they could own a POT, this needs to be a random, no purchase necessary type of affair.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, players want to stay and live in a game world because they love the game world.

Its true that SotA's housing system is probably the most stand out feature compared to other MMOs, but if they use this as the selling point for the game, they're really missing the point IMO. A game isn't just a bunch of features.

Not prejudging what they're thinking; I just hope someone on the dev team understands this.

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I think this thought could be carried to "Six months from now we will be judging", that's plenty of time for a new player to come in, get a free Village deed and participate at a competitive level if they are really into it. That also gives a lot of potential for mini-events between now and then, to get the buzz going, etc.

Meh. Not much to get excited about there considering the large pool of entrants and zero actual involvement.

But you're right, if it's just to get more things moving through the Crown Store, fine, forget this whole post. That is a good idea anyway, they gotta make money to stay in business. It just won't be a "new player" draw.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Warning this got a bit long:

It is amazing that some things don't go to the emails. To get players back we need to highlight the new things we've gotten and that are coming. Emails should let players know there have been changes in Shroud of the Avatar. Changes some players were asking for forever.

So for example who wanted runes and rune books for example? Well we did not exactly get those but we did get an option that is perhaps not quite as cool but is definitely an wonderful improvement for this broken up world. Teleport to zone is very awesome and it does mark new locations you visit but you must re-visit to get those marked, and it does describe all scenes you visit with the 'hold the control key' option, and it does have filtering so you can filter mines for example since the list can get long.

Who got sick of dying trying to go through those passes at low level and one of the only options were to pay mucho gold to go from one side to the other? Now you don't even have to enter those just walk right past them on the map.

Who wanted refining more than 20 items at once? Well you can if you raise it. Although wood pulp and a few more things needs to be on that list for sure to refine more than 20.

Who wanted dye-able furniture?

Who wanted back slots enchant-able?

Who wanted free deeds and upgrade-able deeds?

Who wanted taming improvements ( although more is coming), fishing improvements (still more needed also), who wanted sitting while fishing, sitting while playing an instrument?

Who wanted a looking for group system? Well we did get one. Just do alt f in game to open up that system.

Who wanted a global chat system? Well we now have it and it is called Universe chat and recently we got a separate Trade chat window to advertise our vendors and things for sale to separate the two subjects.

Who wanted deco limits improved? We got them doubled and we also got larger lot sizes use less of the placeable limit so we can now place more smaller lots. This was a very big deal imo. *crosses fingers* for a bit bigger light limit and a couple of npcs ;)

And a recent request was Player owned town owners got the ability to add their own daily message to their town.

And the changes, additions, and fix list goes on and on.

For those waiting for improved quest system as an excuse to not play for that they still need to wait. Many, many bug fixes and work arounds have been implemented though for those who have been frustrated with that. So just ask.

Players need to know these things. Not just find them out if they come in to the game. Previous and current players of Shroud of the Avatar need to know. We need it all highlighted and double underlined so people do know this game's developers are actively taking action on complaints players have made about this game.

@DarkStarr @Lord British If Portalarium needs help from it's players to make that announcement by listing things that we think have made this game a much better game then please just ask us. We will happily tell you what things have made a difference for us now in playing the game as well as future requests of course ;)

Are we done yet well imo of course we are not? Things that are still just not there yet are out there. The opportunity to get those items checked off is what is up-coming. Such as a raid system, and continuous game system updates and improvements.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Mhtic, OzzyOsbourne, Alioth and 5 others like this.
  12. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Well, as supporters of the game, we can all help ourselves by sharing. I think a lot of people here have done that. I totally agree with Vladamir that port should try to reach out wide with the top gaming sites trying to get the press machine moving. I didn't hop in to try to disagree with his notion. I'm with @Vladamir Begemot 100%

I think Portalarium needs to seriously consider an affiliate program with in-game rewards, in-game rankings or even cash, so people have that little extra reason to direct people to the game and focus on converting people into regular players. Right now, no one knows where any player comes from and it's not a technical issue. This is done somewhat in gaming, but with a little innovation they could have the most hardcore guys that have invested way too much time into blogs, videos, etc generating cheap marketing.

You can reward affiliates or "heralds" for new users successfully:
    • Installing the game
    • Playing through the starter content
    • Earning their shroud
    • Placeing a lot
    • yada yada
    Some of us are putting in serious time supporting the game and Port should really find new ways to encourage the current base of "heralds" and recruit new ones.

Making this a game for the player base could really help grow the game. Maybe it spoils the game for some, so in-game stuff might be completely wrong for this type of effort, but I digress.

Alioth, Dhanas, CatherineRose and 2 others like this.
  13. Sarek

Sarek Avatar

Deco a lot to win a town? Oh game on... This is the contest I have been waiting for

14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Who will be the judge(s) ?

15. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

Atos wants exciting livestream video and the idea to stream an ongoing POT decoration in progress does indeed help to show off a great feature.

The first area associated with Episode 2 will appear in RELEASE 66, May 30, 2019.

A great way to thank the community would be to allow contest participants to be the first to claim a lot in a town on the new continent.

That's still 7 weeks away from the time of this post. This should be enough time to spread the word and iron out the fine print of contest rules.

16. Jikininki

Jikininki Avatar

So a couple questions, because I unfortunately can not tune into the stream right now.... contestants need their own village deed, right?
    So I have one, which is placed, I’ll have to pull it temporarily to enter?
    Is there limited entry?
    And when does it start?

Drilikath likes this.
  17. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

Apparently official announcement is coming out soon, possibly tomorrow.

Field notes I've gathered from the stream -

Three ways to enter
    - Pay 1000 bits in stream on Twitch to Atos
    - Pay 100,000 IGG to Atos in game in person, or mail it to him and let him know you want to enter
    - Pay 1000 COTOs to Atos to enter the contest

You need your own deed to place on the lot. If you don't have one, you can get them either from the Crown store, from the player quest, or the easiest most cost effective way might be to get the free Outskirts Deed and then upgrade it for 2000 COTOs to a village deed.

The town where the contest is going is a called "Mount Midir"

The contest runs from now until 1 week after R65 is released.

The contest will end and be judged live on Twitch by audience participation, on Friday May 3rd. Atos says he thinks it will take about 4 hours to go through all the village lots.

The top prize is a small overworld Player Owned Town

There will be a few other prizes as well, based on a few categories TBD.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  18. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

@Chris @DarkStarr

Firstly, this could very well be one of the most amazing goodwill tools for promoting Shroud!

But, BEFORE this competition is publicly spoken about any further, I implore you to consult your current player base for feedback, guidance & their concerns about finalizing the official rules.

The players are already discussing the nuts & bolts & perhaps the potential flaws of this giveaway.

This in-part is due to the lack of details we currently have & for some how this was initially announced.
    Don't rush in & change the goal-posts along the way.

Make a post HERE on this forum, outlining your current ideas & let the players help you mold & shape this into a spectacular concept!

19. Grimace2

Grimace2 Avatar

The contest has begun?

20. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

I'd assume so, since folks are already deco'ing their lots. The town is just south of Central Brittany area. Wish it was easier to navigate, there is no map so hard to find the lots : )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.