POT Contest - Please tell the news outlets!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Apr 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Already deco-ing lots???

The competition doesn't officially start until next release. (As @Chris stated)

This whole competition needs to be officially announced here on the forums, so any participants are fully aware of the rules & guidelines before anyone begins decorating.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Cordelayne, Dhanas, Sarek and 2 others like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

You can bind to your lot there Alioth and then use your teleport to zone scroll for you home. that way you will teleport right to your lot. Well jut an idea.

DGgnome and Alioth like this.
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

This thing should have been announced, pushed out to potential new players (advertised) with the thought that they would have enough time to get their deed and get into the contest. Like 2 months long, not 3 weeks.

And yes, you can make 100k for the entry fee in 2 months.

Dhanas likes this.
  4. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

I have just returned from work & have heard that Chris has been handing out lots (BEFORE there was any official announcement made????)

Looking at the lot owners, the majority are cashed up, well-known players & in some cases POT owners!

@Chris This really is a missed opportunity to promote Shroud in a positive light to NEW Players...

5. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Not all the ones who got lots today are High end players. It was a matter of being in the stream today and getting one. I just wish they would post the rules for deco. Flying blind and decoing a lot without knowing what you can and cant do is rough. All i know is you cannot magic mover a preexisting lot. One...that would cost you money to move it. Its honestly not that hard to deco out a village lot. Just coming up with a new and different idea from the norm is the key. But i agree there needs to be some MAJOR Announcement on the Forums , Discord or even the Daily Message. But heck took them two weeks to put a new Daily message in after the previous one. LOL. From what i have seen so far....nothing grabbing my attention yet. LOL

Cordelayne and Dhanas like this.
  6. Death Magnet

Death Magnet Avatar

@Chris @DarkStarr

Wow what a way to start a contest to win a POT.
    • No announcement on the Offical Forum from Port
    • No rules.
    • 28 lots already allocated and houses placed.
    • IMO the worst biome selected for a contest, all hills and no easy way to find all the houses.
    If this contest was designed to attract new players - has this been achieved?
    • Of the 28 lots already allocated many are existing POT owners.
    Why not just hand out a new POT to existing town owners and be done with it, forget the design contest.

No thought or planning has gone into this yet again, much like the easter egg hunt that was over in 5 minutes, you are beginning to look like a joke Port.

I will not even bother trying to win this,
    • I don't have access to the rares that are going to be splashed about but some players.
    • I don't think the contest is in anyway fair given that there are zero rules.
    • Smells a lot like favouritism to me only those that watch Atos's stream knew about it and got in first.
    • If you already own a POT should you be eligible for this??
    How about you FIX whats broken rather than keep breaking more things Port

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  7. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Avatar

This is a fucking JOKE right!

I have asked repeatedly, begged, waited, asked some more for over a year for my POT to be added to the https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/ website (tropical island just north of Brit) and be given the ability to edit my town as it grows and improves. I spent $7,000 for the town and thousands upon thousands more to acquire lot deeds, houses, (rare ones at that) anything to make my town unique and nice for the residence.

I get **** from you developers except more excuses saying the map is broken? It ain't broken to me when I see other town owners thriving and using the map daily to show off their vendors, available lots, and other attractive features they have built.

To me you are just not wanting to take the time to put a (3 of your guys according to ATOS) on the task for a few minutes or hours or day what ever it takes to help us POT owners who are struggling for success!

In the meantime we expected to sit for months on end, even years waiting for you to turn our way and give us the respect and love as loyal customers we deserve.

Now you want to give away a POT?

Boy do I eve feel dumb for trusting you guys!

I have tried and tried to believe in you guys, but time and time again you disrespect me as a customer. I have very little respect left for this company.

I don't know what else I can do or say to get you to get my town onto the sotamap with editor privileges. I have been a registered user their for years going back to when I had 4 towns on it before selling them all after the launch debacle Then I come back in hopes that things will get better as long as I keep my goals and dreams small and simple

. But now I can't even get one town onto the map.

FYI my town is Sea Bear's Black Market
    Sea Bear out

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well just another reason for some people to get upset. I know Chris just throws some things out there with only the best intentions. So either be mad or not. I did right away go in game and buzz it for whoever was playing at that time. Why must we always throw fits? Don't you know by now this team mostly isn't over planning or planning at all in most cases. No matter how much someone wants this development to be all organized and perfect they are human beings. I really don't think planned out will be. That is why in the end we will get some very cool things. So jump on the band wagon or don't.

Imo it really is just what it is with no planned malice. We are the ones who give meaning to everything in life. We say it is either bad or good, right or wrong. No one can do that for us. Imagine if it doesn't mean anything other than what we say it means. Lol OK going to bed since I'm sounding like a self help book. Be well and prosper.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  9. Cyin

Cyin Avatar

If this was meant to draw in new players, I don't think they would place such a high cost of entry. I am not sure about other players, but it was a long time before I ever came close to accumulating 100,000 gold. So if they haven't stated any rules on what can be used as deco, and most PoT owners are going to have more deco to work with than other players. It stands to reason they are doing this to help current PoT owners get an additional PoT for free. So it does seem this contest is meant to reward those of us who have spent a lot of money on the game. I think a better solution could be something like, current PoT owners can sign up to help judge the event. Their votes would not count as much as the Portalarium judges, but could help balance the contest. Current PoT owners would be excluded from the decorating part of this event. They could be given some nice new feature or deco for their PoT for helping judge the event. Then lift the entry fee so new players have a better shot at entering. You might even restrict the deco to crafted and Coto merchant stuff. This would make it even for any new players who want to participate. Then you should advertise this on as many sites, including your own forums, as you can. Then you might get some new players to participate.

10. sotasota4

sotasota4 Avatar

that new players excuse - it is a contest to win a pot not a contest for new players - otherwise it would not have had such a high entry fee )

Cordelayne likes this.
  11. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Yet another half baked idea poorly executed and as ever only there to benefit the Chosen Few rather than what's left of the wider community or (shock horror) trying to encourage players to return or new players to give the game a go.

The most depressing thing for me in the whole saga of this game is the Devs complete unwillingness to listen to those who aren't the Chosen Few and therefore simply repeating the mistakes of the past over and over again.

Here we go again.

12. oplek

oplek Avatar

First I've heard of this contest. For things like this, they shouldn't be "leaking" that information early... the first mention should be an official announcement. That way, neglected chaotic threads like this, with conflicting hearsay reports, don't brew and simmer.

... but maybe run it past a focus group or something? They seem to be increasingly insular and non-communicative.... even though the entire project was based around community feedback and involvement.

I don't expect them to be perfectly organized and effective.

I'd settle for this:
    ----------------------------------------v
    --------------|--------------|--------------|--------------|
    -------^

But this is where they are.

Edit: spaces

Sometimes I think they need some kind of intervention. It's frustrating to watch misstep after misstep.

13. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

Kind of agree with you there, really hard to find the lots. Ideally it would showcase the really cool designs for everyone to visit, as it is now, I can barely find the lot I reserved. Grasslands Biome might work better for this sort of thing.

He said there would be rules, they should be coming soon.

He also said it would be judged by viewers on twitch.

He also said he would open up a second POT if we reach capacity on the first, so no worries about space.

It was a lot of shoot first, ask questions later.

The effort seems to be directed toward boosting Twitch viewership. It seems like he had a pretty solid 120+ viewers on during the stream. There are multiple ways to pay for entry. Easiest is shell out $10 for 1000 twitch bits to boost the games official twitch stream. For a free to play game that is an incredibly low entry fee. He is working hard on making twitch a viable way to bring on more players, and it’s a good idea since that’s where tons of gamers hang out.

Hopefully we get a formal announcement soon (like today) I just happened to be logged on in game when it was happening.

Scanphor likes this.
  14. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

I agree this was not organized very well. @DarkStarr should have made a post about it before lots were being handed out. I am one of the POT owners who entered, but personally I have my own set of rules I am going to follow (I will be using only a house and items craftable or obtainable in-game - because this is the way I think it should be, to make it fair for everyone - @Lace had originally suggested this should be done this way and I agree).

Cordelayne, Alioth, Cyin and 2 others like this.
  15. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Whilst the start of the process has been somewhat disorganised to be fair - no one has been seriously advantaged or disadvantaged by some getting in earlier - its a 3 week contest so at best a 48 hour head start is not going to be a deciding factor...

I'm not convinced on the new players point - this isn't something really aimed at new players.

I agree that limiting to items (including the house) obtainable or craftable in game would focus on decorating skills rather than how much RL money people throw at it. I was debating whether or not to enter and this was the thing that decided me against - some will be throwing vast amounts of cash at store deco items etc to make their houses look more impressive.

Dhanas likes this.
  16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I know I am focusing on you but this sentiment is exactly what a lot of the negative hits they are taking are all about.

There is Z E R O excuse for not planning, and/or piss poor planning. Their methodology is bass ackwards to say the least.

Look at these replies hardly any thnk this was done in any professional manner.

They keep slipping further and further away from actually supporting their core player base and seem to deliberately do things that actually anger them.

I have yet to see any thing on the web site of forums about this other than here.

P I S S P O O R

This should be a HUGE headliner in announcements. And not only the announcement but it appears to be a 1/2 baked event overall.

I am not attacking you but that concept is much to accepted here

17. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

I agree, some folks will throw tons of money towards it. I have no expectation of winning, or placing, against that, but I really want folks to know (especially new folks who are looking at the game) - that you don't have to spend a ton of money to participate in the housing system and have fun.

Cordelayne, Scanphor and Sarek like this.
  18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I didn't mean to start such a whine fest.

I just want them to start putting out press releases and getting the news out.

While more than three weeks would have been more inclusive the price to enter is low considering the size of the prizes.

Unfortunately we, including everyone crying here, are "the Chosen few" as you put it. I would have liked it to go out farther

Seriously, three weeks is plenty of time to raise the in game funds with the fast and loose loot of today. Or drop ten bucks support the game, and be in the running for something that's probably close to $1000 now.

If you need tips on how to raise the gold check out tinyurl.com/racetohome, my steam guide or just bring a bunch of your excess trash to the swap meet tonight.

Or ask in the community in your guild. I know mine is sponsoring low level guild members who want to participate.

Now back to: how can this be read about on kotaku?

Scanphor and Belladonna Rose like this.
  19. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

It is kind of sad, that you feel that players sharing their feedback, is in fact a "whine fest".... :(

I felt that nearly All of the feedback here, was about how great this concept "could be" in promoting Shroud in a Very Positive Light!
    But as it has eventuated, "the Cart was put before the Horse" & this contest has commenced without any pre-anticipation/promotion about how a wonderful prize awaits players in a couple of weeks!

You may find disdain in players commenting that this contest being released prior to the proposed start date of R65.
    That was the info that was mentioned on Shrouds official Stream on Friday.

I agree, that getting together 100K these days isn't that hard, especially with the support of many of the great Guilds out there....

The issue is that the Start of this contest, was never released in a Formal Manner & not mentioned by any Dev HERE on Shrouds Own "Official Website" for All Players.

EVERY Contest, whether it be for Movie Tickets, or in this case a POT, (worth $1,000 RL dollars) must have Terms & Conditions/Rules, for all to follow.
    (I know this as I was a "professional comper" for many Years & earned prizes in excess of 200K RL dollars!)

The players on the whole, who are providing Feedback here are NOT "Whiners" < as you call Us....
    They are RL people, with thoughts & feelings about how this potentially AMAZING Goodwill/Feelgood Contest, could have been Promoted to the Masses.

20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

There's a difference between feedback and whining. I was going to say a b*fest but don't know what the line is on swearing here.

I'm sure you see most of my posts, I don't normally go "Whoa, chill". But there's a lot of over the top in this thread and I regret even starting it.

@Sea Bear is excepted. He's getting screwed and should have his problems solved by the Devs.

Scanphor and Alioth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.