Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Could the town of Crag not be at the entrance of Etceter (request)

Discussion in 'Release 65 Feedback' started by Anpu, Apr 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

When you try to head to the entrance of Etceter (this is a Main Quest related town), instead of finding the entrance of Etecter near by, you find however the entrance of Crag.

[​IMG]

From what I have observed, there is a circular entrance trigger, it however seems to be shifted to the right, which also is right near the entrance of Etecter. Since Crag is basically abandoned, could this entrance trigger be shifted away from the entrance to Etceter? You have to go right next to the actual building of Etceter to enter the city. This would really make getting into this Quest Related town a lot less confusing.

Thank you.

04/25/2019 21:27
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16303
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8079
    SotA.Win.64.958.Date.04.25.19
    Area: Novia
    Area Display Name: Novia
    Loc: (-179.6, 12.6, -258.4)
    Debug: Tm92aWF8fCgtMTc5LjYzNCwgMTIuNjM3LCAtMjU4LjQ0NCl8KDAsIC0wLjY1LCAwLCAtMC43Nil8NzQuODQyMjJ8NDcuNjQ2MDN8MzYuOTk5OTg=

Spoon, Elwyn and Alley Oop like this.
  2. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Agree 100% I've ended up in that PoT way too many times (It has changed names/biomes a few times along the way).

Jaesun likes this.
  3. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

I get what you're asking for, but let me explain why Crag shouldn't move from my perspective. Also, why moving it wouldn't fully help your concerns.

Some insights as to overworld access points: Both Novia and Hidden Vale have an invisible hexagon-based grid reaching across each map. The hex grid is a permanent, unmoving system required by each overworld map. Each scene (NPC Towns, POTs, adventure scenes, etc.) on the overworld is roughly centered within a hex, but sometimes there are features (rocks, roads, rivers, etc.) that cause the decorations for that scene to be nudged to one side or another. The circular entrance trigger you mentioned is actually a hexagon--when you enter the hex that has a scene assigned to it, you get prompted to enter that scene.

And so Crag (a POT) is assigned to a hex right next to Etceter. Nudging the decorations for Crag won't move the hex or the access location. Also, we won't reassign Crag to an entirely new hex unless the owner requests it.

Also, it might be important to know that moving Crag (or any POT in a hex adjacent to an NPC town) won't change how you access Etceter. Etceter's single-hex access won't move or expand, so you'll still have to run toward its center to enter it.

But don't think I'm not sympathetic. I agree that it's sometimes awkward to enter an NPC town or adventure scene when the very next hex is also assigned to another scene. We made a smart move with Brittany by giving its collection of neighborhoods a surrounding "buffer zone." We'll keep that buffer zone concept in mind when the Episode 2 map is being created and try to keep buffer zones around NPC towns and adventure scenes as often as reasonable.

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Was wondering how those entry points work. It’s just really frustrating (and confusing) that it’s SO close to the entrance of Etceter. If I had a COTO for every time I accidentally clicked the Crag entrance, instead of Etceter, I’d be a millionaire.... :D

Mishikal likes this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Jaesun

For reference what Sannio is saying; here is an old version of the Novia map where the hexagons are plainly visible.
    [​IMG]

@Sannio

Just a thought here.
    What could be done though is simply move the gfx of the bay slightly to make the hexes more distinct.
    This since the issue is that the coastline has been adjusted away from the hex pattern and thus it "feels" like you are on the Etceter hex while really it is the Crag hex extended. But you devs can see the hexes and thus just nudge the coast a teeny tiny bit and the issue would pretty much go away.

[​IMG]
    lower pic bad paintshop of solution

I'm hoping such a minuscule change could be allowed even if the map is "frozen"?

CatherineRose, Alley Oop and Jaesun like this.
  6. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

I would ask the town owner, if he is willing to move to another hex.
    Anyway, this is a dead town and should be invisible on map. (Means removed from map, but keep it at that position in the case the owner starts to maintain the town)

Jaesun likes this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Bladewyke is not willing to move, just Incase people start getting funny ideas.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Chrystoph Reis likes this.
  8. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Totally disagree.

9. Amariithynar

Amariithynar Avatar

So he likes making people get frustrated by entering the wrong hex when attempting to access a major town? This should be fixed, by changing the hex it accesses on or something (I don't know the back-end of it, only that this isn't right), because there is no way that the hex the player is standing on in the screenshot is Crag's. Etceter should have priority trigger at that location.

10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Etceter is easy to enter as it is, I’ve been in there 100s of times with zero issues. The player needs to take 1-2 more steps closer to town and stop being so lazy.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  11. Amariithynar

Amariithynar Avatar

It's not about being lazy, it's about that point being nowhere near Crag OR its hex, yet somehow it is grabbing that, instead of Etceter. Plain and simple.

Mishikal likes this.
  12. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I agree. I've been playing since persistence, am fully aware of the problem, and I still periodically end up entering whatever PoT is there (it's had different names and biomes over the years). It's obnoxious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.