1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

UPDATED: Player Deco Contest! GO!!!!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Congratulations to all :)

2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

So was anything done to account for misspellings?

I had four different spellings of my name in that list, three were wrong.

CatherineRose likes this.
  3. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

Congratulations to all you who decorated homes. They were all soooooo good. Congratulations to to the top 10 winners. I look forward to the finale next Friday. :)

Skye Azure, Lesni, Elrond and 4 others like this.
  4. Morhir (IronFist Warhamm

Morhir (IronFist Warhamm Avatar

There was some very nice decorated houses! Congrats on all the hard work. There is a very lackluster method of tallying the votes that nobody still knows how it works????? I'd like to know what votes counted, what votes did not and why not? Hanging Chad

5. tyorl999

tyorl999 Avatar

First of all: I dont wanna blame any of the competators; everyone makes a great job and there are many of nice homes,

but the votingsystem really sucked.

@Chris pls rewatch the stream on 1:43 to 1:46.

Pfauenauge gots for her Jausten-arena only votings a from 7 up to 10 in the first 2 minutes of her voting; hours later the scamm-votings came and vote her down and you just cut of the 10s and 9s of the peoples choice

and she did NOT qualified for the top 10?

Sorry man: that really sucks and that was not fair to some other competators who dont reach the top ten with some of the same votings ( a.e. Antrax or care death)

Pls recheck the stream, with this kind of voting there is the fairness kick in its butt

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    CatherineRose and Dhanas like this.
  6. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

in order to be a fair, informed voter, everyone would have had to tour around all the houses (in that template that's so horrible to get around and find anything in) in advance and develop and rank a top ten list, free of personal bias. even without trying to exclude bias, that's still a huge amount of work. it was clear very few people, if any, were going to do it. i knew i wouldn't, so i didn't vote. better none than an ill-informed one.

7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think the sheer number of entrants made any sort of system pretty difficult and a lot of the detail, nuance that people did (stories, quests, etc.) was easily missed.

I think perhaps it may have been better if either the devs/organizers (with or without a panel of selected player judges if they desired) made some sort of shortlist in advance, or perhaps left voting open for a period of time rather than trying to do it "live." Particularly houses visited in the final hour of the stream went by so fast I didn't feel I'd had a chance to get a good look at them and trying to find the properties after the fact was difficult.

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Good start, learn from it and repeat again after a while.

Have a popular Sims streamer who loves decorating in that game stream the judging of the next deco contest.

Good for them as they've got us all watching, good for us as we've got Sims players watching, and they are potential Shroud players.

Synergy Blaize and kaeshiva like this.
  9. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

It was fun to be creative and it was a tremendous amount of work for Chris. Thank you Chris for all that time you spent during the livestream and all the time setting up the areas for us to decorate on top of all that. All in all a positive first run on a large scale.

A few notes on the experience:
    The elven village one story has all those lovely ceiling hanging beams.. I can't place a single drop of deco from. Please fix that.
    The cypress trees seem like they should be able to fit in tighter spaces, but I found that not to be the case and was unable to place them where it seemed they should fit. Their inventory icon still has a white box around the picture as well.
    Would be really great if room dividers allowed for pictures, lights and other deco on them as well as have them dyable.
    Crafting stations did not seem to be scalable.
    Placing spider webs on floors and walls seemed to require more space around them than seemed appropriate. Would be nice if these could be overlapped on edges/or stackable.
    Voting: private stream voting would have been preferred, being able to vote more than during the stream would have been preferred, adding at least one category for dev judging would have been helpful, the decision to eliminate 10s and 1s may be both a blessing and a curse as well as announcing it in advance, spelling corrections need a solution (maybe give people entry numbers that you list for us to vote on, the format of !vote vote# playername should be changed to !vote playernam(entrant number) score - just so I can prep my vote as I am watching, voting in game over a week would have been preferred - maybe a vendor purchase vote system of sorts where ballots are mailed or collected in some fashion? I know vendors can record who bought what so this can help with duplicates.

10. Summer Breeze

Summer Breeze Avatar

I toured ALL contestants, several times. Well, those that had not locked their doors.
    The last visit alone, on the day of the contest, took me about 8 hours.

I looked at each deco job as a whole (does it have a theme or feeling; is the space used well), the neatness of placement (do things align well), whether they had placed small things by hand or used bigger entities (tea cups vs tea sets; plates vs table settings) and if it had that something extra (like Engineer's figures outside and use of sound or Rhiannon Rogue's fully decorated 5-story basement).

Many wonderful deco jobs did not come across on stream at all.

The worst house to be shown on stream was the gothic mansion. The numerous smaller rooms made for a terrible fly-by. If you want to see an incredible deco job on one of these, visit Caree Death's one.
    And for tons of incredibly neat placed items, visit FelonyMelanie's wedding site. And all cutlery here is placed as seperate items!
    The jousting scene of Pfauenauge was very original. And all parts of the scene are very well done.
    And go visit Shimizu's blue observatory to read the notes for some nice insights in the 'cult' that lives here.

All four of these didn't make top 10!

EDIT:
    The day after the contest, the above mentioned deco jobs of Caree Death and Pfauenauge can no longer be admired in Mount Midir. *sadface*

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  11. Yolo SoLive

Yolo SoLive Avatar

Chris thank you for all the blood, sweat, and tears with this one! To all the winners: Congrats! It was great to see everyone's imagination and creativity at work! And to all the non winners, it was also fantastic to see your hard work and creativity at work as well. Everyone is a winner in my book! So many great ideas all around.
    Here is to the community at SOTA! and to those that keep it interesting :)

12. shathiell

shathiell Avatar

Mine as well.

@Chris can this be reflected for Belegen Vensworn's house as well (Unsure if that makes a difference or not?)

13. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

A big thank you to everyone who voted for my small ''Evergreen '' christmas cabin and to those who sent me decorations they were a big help.... See ya all on the next deco contest :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Skye Azure, Lily Byrd, Cianna and 6 others like this.
  14. Caree Death

Caree Death Avatar

@Summer Breeze - My house was magic movered because I wasn't sure what to do with it since contest is over and I placed pretty far down on the list. I'm not sure if anyone would be interested but I could always pop it back up. Just don't see the point in keeping it there now.

15. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

First off, congratulations to everyone who participated in the contest. There were many surprises, several disappointments and bad beats. @Chris said that top ten were within about .1 (just 1%) of each other in voter scoring -- that means that people who were eliminated were done so by the slightest of margins. :(

@Summer Breeze @Caree Death Pfauenauge

What should still happen is everyone to have a fair chance to win the remaining categories: "Nostalgic", "Chaotic", "Whimsical", and "Crafted Only".

I believe Pfauenauge could place in two of these categories (Nostalgic and Whimsical), but she already pulled her home. I do NOT know if the Portalarium judges have made these decisions yet or intend to go back to the video. However, if you did pull up your home into a magic mover, you may want to consider putting it back until we get an official "All Clear" from Portalarium/@Chris.

[EDIT: on further review, I see the number of 1 votes that I had were not what I expected, the value was much lower.]

Talking with a few guild leaders, public opinion was formed about the contest voting when players who had their homes voted up or down before they were shown. When the spreadsheet was shown with early voting results to everyone (in the interest of transparency, of course) the players drew conclusions, and presumably acted in their personal interests. The 25% cut from the bottom and top of the voting process was meant to curb the zealous, and I did hear that not every player or even guild understood that the results were being compiled using Statistics instead of an Average.

For the final ten, there probably shouldn't be any 1-3 votes. These are all amazing houses! Good luck to them all!

...and a big THANK YOU to the players that voted faithfully in the contest!

Sincerely,

Engineer

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    CatherineRose and liz_the_wiz like this.
  16. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Now when will they be doing the Themed votes from the Devs. That is the only one i am interested in. There were so many awesome lots out there And other than the voting system i thought Chris did an awesome job overall considering he did it alone with no other Dev help. Frankly putting him in such a crunch time for the dance party was a bit on the rude side. The Contest date and time was already set and then they threw the Dance thing in after. That should of been Friday night allowing Chris enough time to suffuiciently look through all the lots equally. But overall it was done fine. Sorry he crashed at Dirk's lot and was in another instance when he came back. LOL i dressed up all nice and pretty and played music for everyone too. LOL. Well done to all and congrats

17. Summer Breeze

Summer Breeze Avatar

I totally agree. It was a long haul of concentrated work and talking, without any time for a rest.
    Thanks @Chris , for the contest and for the voting stream. You did a great job!

18. Redhammer

Redhammer Avatar

This would have been nice :)

19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I really think a neutral third party is the way to do it.

Plus a great opportunity for more eyeballs next time. The Sims community needs to see Shroud.

CatherineRose and Dhanas like this.
  20. Redhammer

Redhammer Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.