Tracy Hickman novel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blackghost, May 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I explained this in the other (now removed) topic, but I'll try it again here.

During the Kickstarter, Tracy signed on to write a prequel novel. At that time, there was no publishing deal, and the idea was that they would create a PDF version for backers at one level, and run that same document as a self-published novel for backers at a higher level (some of which would be signed by Tracy and Richard). This was "Blade of the Avatar". The PDF version was complete, and anyone who was due it can find it on the Special Rewards tab of their User Account.

Later, they worked with Tor Publishing to provide the book to a wider audience. During those discussions, Tor didn't like that the book had already been distributed as a PDF to many people and would be distributed as a printed copy to many others; so to make the book they were publishing distinct, they wanted four additional chapters written and another editing pass done. The new book, "Blade of Midras", is the first of a trilogy that they agreed to publish. Tracy has completed, and Richard is reviewing, the second book now; this book is NOT part of the Kickstarter rewards.

The distribution rights for "Blade of Midras" does NOT include sending it to backers who are due "Blade of the Avatar". Therefore, to fulfill the original promise, Portalarium still needs to print and distribute the original copy of the book, sans new chapters.

The last update we received was this note from Starr, eight months ago, which was vague and somewhat misleading. It was reinforced there that the distribution rights had not been changed (and then goes on to complain about the artwork, which wouldn't ahve been able to be used as originally intended without the commission of four additional pieces of art, but thats not relevant). They are still planning to self publish.

2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Printed Book: As many of you have noted at the Patron (and above) pledge level one of the rewards is a printed version of the prequel novel “Blade of the Avatar” (aka “Sword of Midras”). ”

@Spoon in that thread you linked me he even says blade of the avatar aka Sword of Midras

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yea he does but that is not accurate. They are not the same thing. There are a bunch of changes/fixes beyond the added chapters in the SoM, which are not in the digital pdf version of BotM that pledgers got. (If you have both you can compare, or just check out the wiki pages).

Where the pledge reward novel simply wasn't printed to be included with the physical rewards, which is what Starr is saying in that statement.

*edit*
    didn't see Browncoat's post above, it has more details
    *edit*

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

While we cannot see it the topic still exists.
    So if you want the text from your great explanation in the hidden topic you could ask one of the devs/moderators for a copy of that.
    I've done a couple of such requests over the years.

Sean Silverfoot and Time Lord like this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

So ToR edited the book?

6. Browncoat Jayson

There was a editing pass done to Blade of the Avatar originally, but it is my understanding that they did their own pass on it as well.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Ah, if tor edited it i get it. I thought it was 100% edits that tracy made then tor put the pictures in the wrong places

8. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

So they double dipped on the distribution? Maybe it was the way it was communicated, but I was always under the impression the PDF was the Early Access "sneak peak" into what would eventually be the completed published novel. This is saying that even when the backers get their book in whatever version, it will be basically the same as printing out the PDF themselves, since the extra chapters and information will not be included.

Glad I bought the Amazon book and got it signed in person.

Cordelayne and Time Lord like this.
  9. Browncoat Jayson

When they got the publishing deal, Portalarium needed to hold on to the current version of the book distribution (because they had already sent the PDF to backers). Thus, the additional chapters in the Tor-published version. Portalarium was not able to secure additional distribution rights for that version (per Starr's comment), thus...

...this is the only version that Portalarium has the right to distribute.

Time Lord and HoustonDragon like this.
  10. Eina Stein

Eina Stein Avatar

DING! DING! DING!

You are correct sir! Tell him what he's won, Bob!

11. Eina Stein

Eina Stein Avatar

But they knew all of this during the transaction. They knew all along that it would screw the backers out of the book and they did it anyway. I mean it's not surprising, but nonetheless should be tallied in with all the other ways they've defrauded their KS backers.

Edit: Ill prob be banned soon but I know of no other way of putting it.

Tiki Pirate and Blackghost like this.
  12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

ANyone know if the book has even been printed to be sent out? I can't wait to get my signed copy.

Blackghost, Time Lord and Eina Stein like this.
  13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

im not sure anyone knew sending out the pdf before the physical book would cause that to happen. Its pretty obvious portalarium isnt trying to screw anyone over.

And its also evident noone here knew sending a pdf out would cause this before the fact.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  14. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Last week, Starr pointed people back to his post from eight months ago, which said Port was taking printing and distribution on themselves, and that they would provide more info when they had an update. So there is no update in eights months, ergo there is no book printed yet - nothing has been done in that time per Starr.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

woulda shoulda coulda...............in my world someone would have received the jfdi by now to get it sorted. It's not my world though....its clown world......anything can happen :):)o_O:):)

GivenUp likes this.
  16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Why even point out a post from 8 months ago? why not just bow a raspberry at the camera when asked the question........virtually the same thing lol

GivenUp likes this.
  17. Eina Stein

Eina Stein Avatar

Cause what? They put out the PDF before they inked the book deal with no intentions of ever sending the book, hoping that it would suffice and everyone would just go buy it at Amazon and be happy.

Im really not sure what problem the PDF caused with sending it to get printed.

18. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Your world probably would have set aside money from when pledges were sold to fulfill the book properly, but this probably didn't happen in clown world, leaving the clown in a bind.

I would hope most people agree that pointing out to the press and players that nothing has been done in eight months was not the best move ever. The only hope is it reminds the company to get this done and hopefully lit a fire under someone's butt, because the topic I would guess will be looked at again and again until addressed. Another press article in two or three months time showing nothing has been done would be unfortunate.

E n v y likes this.
  19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Cause whatever made them unable to get the published books set aside, which most recently was attributed to them releasing the pdf before it was published.

20. Browncoat Jayson

I think you are reading to much into this. They inked the book deal to get the book on store shelves, in front of new eyes, and to get a full trilogy instead of one novel. That's not a bad thing.

The only thing sending the PDF "caused" was that Portalarium retained distribution rights for that version of the book, which was necessary for them to continue providing the PDF and for them printing the physical copy themselves to deliver to backers.

Starr's update from 8 months ago was the first I'd seen that they were trying to secure additional distribution of the updated book, which would allow them to purchase those books from the publisher at a discount instead of printing the book themselves. Even back when the deal first went through, Dallas said they would still be printing the original copy inhouse to send to backers, because it was much cheaper. Granted, that was for new hardback copies rather than mothballed paperbacks, but I doubt there would have been a huge enough discount for Portalarium to risk the additional cost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.