Trolly / needy / complainy players

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

In some ways I empathize with Chris' comments on some individuals. I have no problem sharing my ideas or saying what I don't like about the game but having people bash the Devs constantly is wearing. Since no one is getting rich off this project.

@Jack SinAssist has a very good point that more time needs to be spent by Dev's playing the game, since they don't have a QA team. Players can only go so far with testing because although we know what we find enjoyable a QA team is more directly connected with the scope and vision of the project.

2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Never be offended at yourself :p~TL~
    I've really enjoyed your more harsh insights at times!

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  3. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I didn't come in here for 4 whole months... and it was a breathe of fresh air!

Now back to our regularly scheduled train wreck...
    [​IMG]

Geaux and Time Lord like this.
  4. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It's obviously the responsibility of the developers to ultimately make the decisions about their own product. They're free to do or listen to whatever they want, but at the end of the day, it's their job to make wise decisions. It's not the fault of the customers if that's not what happens.

5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

This ^^ there is a lot of great feedback on the fourms. Thank god they do listen to some of it or we will still have card combat and armor slugs. But ultimately they own the results.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

One thing they also need to do is play the game solo IMO. Even offline. Not because I expect most players to play offline, but a large amount of a player's time will be in solo gameplay. I mean, I know they test combat, and I know they test social gameplay. But a player needs to be able to get in the game and do everything solo with little interaction with other players (no universal chat, either), and still have fun and compelling reasons to get in the game.

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Just based one what i've seen him do and say, Chris doesnt just take folks' word for it when they do things like ask for stuff, give feedback or report bugs. Every time he gets feedback he will pull and check the data, if it looks like he wants it to he will look into it to see how itll affect the game (or if he can reproduce it if its a bug) and react based on that.

The devs dealing with bug reports also try to reproduce the issue before even submitting it as a bug. I dont think any of them just trust what people say without evidence.

Elwyn, Jaesun, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  8. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

It's a lose lose situation. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I like the game... it's gotten a little too easy for my taste, but I still play it regularly. Better than a lot of the tripe out there that people want it to be like.

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

My opinion:
    The issue isn't so much the dev - player relationship. A lot of things written in this post I have already read since the dawn of internet gaming. You can take this posts and put them 1:1 into the old mankind forum e.g. and they wouldn't look out of place. Players have always felt misunderstood or not listend to by Devs and vice versa.

No in my opinion this kind of long term open development and this whole soft launch thingy are the issue. You can see it through the whole spectrum. SC, CoE, crowfall, sota. This topic could be in a forum of every single of those games.
    For me it is akin to cabin fever. We have been together far too long. At first without a game, after that with a base game and so on. For years we (and I include the Devs here) have been glued together for better or worse. That isn't healthy.
    Now add to the mix that, if you are always here, you stop seeing the progress. It's like when you have an aunt that sees you twice a year. She will always tell you how much you have grown. If you see her twice a week that's a line you will possibly never have to suffer ^^

My biggest grief with all that is that I can not come up with a solution for this deadlock. Maybe this way of development won't last. To me at least it seems it won't with all major games of the big crowdfunding time suffering the very same issues between community and Devs in varying shades of grey.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I totally agree, but mistakes will always happen, they can always be fixed and risk equals reward :)
    [​IMG]

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Time Lord! Welcome back!

Plus: I hope it is that easy ;-) alas I doubt it.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Hopefully it retains its identity and what makes it stand out. I see a few of the YouTube reviewers now generally liking it but noticing the lack of polish.

But they sound fairly open to it.

In general it seems like it's slowly gaining some traction.

It's the only online game where I feel like I can carve out a little spot to "live" in. I couldn't see myself doing that in GW2 or any other shiny plasticky cookie cut game. And I don't play survival games.

It's nice. It's just going through that gangly teenager stage.

Amariithynar, Elwyn, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

It is good to be back if not prematurely. I had planned to return after Thailand's rainy season but the great SOTA God Atos put out the call and thus I compelled to head.

I do share your concern, yet I do see all the bones to hang the meat on are here which I'm sure the office crammed full of programmers is no longer something we must have. Downtown offices or even close to downtown Austin Texas is a very expensive place. I'm still supersized the fire-marshal had allowed so many to be in such a small place for anyone to be eating bean-dip :D Working from home I think was a dandy of an idea for the whole project.

Yet if the game should retreat to just Atos in a closet playing with himself, I'll still be in the game and still totally invested even if his dog starts farting. I have full confidence that Portalarium will achieve it's promised long term game goals down to the finish line and be touting and working on a sequel :eek:~SOTAII Reloaded?~:confused: I'm actually hoping that "Fishing Barents Sea" will join in so we can have a great sea game. I know that Portalarium still has plans for their sea, but that's my hopeful offer-up, as Fishing Barents Sea does have a hell of a Sea faring program "which seems ready as a plug-in to a game like SOTA" as well as their development being a bit slooooooow and possibly struggling for funds or a job to bail their title out from fading away (their development team is down to the bare bones yet with a firm following). It's a really simple game but fun.
    :oops: I'm hoping SOTA's seafaring comes up to meet or rival these standards...

I agree @Astirian :rolleyes: I also think it's always going to be this way due to it's crowd funding development ways which are still ground braking in the industry.
    It's always good to look at the competition and compare. Here's a list which mentions UO as one game's inspiration, but it's not our SOTA :confused:

:oops: Yet take a look at all the graphics, simplistic nature, obvious cookie cutter non-customized housing and most have a game premise as shallow as to loose my interests within a single year, though they do seem interesting. These are all the reasons which steady my opinion of SOTA being a title of longevity and not as shallow as a Donkey Kong.

The only real griping point I have with our game is that whether by story-line, storytelling, or by plan, "our entry way and new player experience lacks anything I want to play again". It's not that it's offensive to my tastes, it's that it just seems adequate which does not contrast with the rest of the game's better content. We seem to be working on the end and the middle and neglecting our beginning.

Thanks for the welcome my good friend! @Earl Atogrim von Draken ;) I'm trying my best to build a new character I could maybe sidekick with you some day soon.
    Check those vids out. There's got to be a better idea somewhere because everything always needs improvement.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Worth pointing out that that took YEARS to get rid of. Many people complained about it. I wrote about it many times.

In one Livestream it became clear that they devs didn't even understand what the problem was, they thought we were talking about Public Vendors the entire time, despite it clearly being stated in the many, many complaints.

That prompted another, "No, that is not what we are talking about at all, please read this repeatedly until you understand" post and comments in the livestream and general hair pulling out few months.

Then suddenly Darkstarr read it, understood what we were talking about, and it was fixed right away.

It's one reason I both look forward to and dread when they finally get around to our vendors. They have no idea what running a vendor is like, and unless they spend countless hours with them, starting well before the design gets worked on, or take the time to read our feedback CAREFULLY, then it will be a half solution.

Amariithynar, Jaesun, Elwyn and 6 others like this.
  15. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Fix Taming!

amarious and Brass Knuckles like this.
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

But yes, also don't let the trolls guide you. I suspect that's why the game launched last year, when it would have been way better to launch now.

Astirian, Jaesun and majoria70 like this.
  17. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

That very well sums up the issues around crafting and what happened as a "solution" in this last release with the changes to wood pulp -- A lack of comprehension of what the full set of underlying issues is, and a half-baked solution that doesn't really address the fundamental problems with the crafting system in SOTA.

Amariithynar likes this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I never thought to say it but I love that we might be getting store bought assets. We have one artist so getting creatures and new art into this game has been extremely slow and has hurt the game imo. I feel we need more variety in the world. Imagine I saw a unity 20 pack of creatures. That would be wonderful to fight some new things.

And of course with additions we need basic systems to also get love like cooking, taming still needs some more interest to it. I loved how tamed creatures in UO had to be cared for or they would be untamed or turn against you for example.

We really imo need a raid system and a few more basic systems and for players and devs to be able to hold contests and events that are not frustrating and disorganized.

And also by trolly, needy players are these players who don't agree with the op's idea of what needs to be worked on? Just because someone has ideas doesn't mean that's all their ideas. For example they could be for all aspects of the game to get the love it needs but that particular day an idea for one part of the game came to mind.

I absolutely understand that we all love playing the game our own way and individually want what we want worked on and sometimes we have no patience for other ideas that might take the devs away from working on our particular interest.

Imo being focused on one thing and not the whole picture won't necessarily bring in longevity. There are still basics missing in this game.

While some don't care about deco or pvp that is no reason not to give a full featured fun experience to both of them. That is the kind of game this is. Every system should get its turn and it's love.

Amariithynar, Time Lord and Dhanas like this.
  19. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

I'm more inclined to believe it was publisher pressure to launch than customer pressure.

Elwyn and Amelli like this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

Wait, what? From this post back in March 2018 just prior to launch.

And during the months leading up to launch, there were many threads / posts telling them the game wasn't ready. I think the post-launch results this past year pretty much sums it up. Much has improved since launch, but they still have a long way to go.

Given the quote above, I'm more inclined to believe the decision was entirely theirs to make. They simply thought they were ready.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.