New player question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnD212, May 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnD212

JohnD212 Avatar

I just created a character and I'm still running through the beginning area. What's really annoying me is as soon as I target a zombie I immediately attack without clicking anything. I see lots of discussion about Auto Attack but it tells me I haven't unlocked auto attack yet (though clearly I'm auto attacking). How do I turn this off so I can target something without immediately auto attacking it?

2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Don't think you can switch from auto until you have talked to a trainer about it.

But just in case it helps, you can check out the details in the Help file, top right corner, click the ? button.

You can also find the current version here
    http://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/playerinstructions

Seems it is T to toggle.

You can also use the [Options]
    [​IMG]
    and search through the looooooooooong list to find it.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Lained

Lained Avatar

There's a key to toggle the attack mode, I think by it's default is T though I set mine to Ctrl + T so that I don't accidentally toggle it you can change it under Options > Controls > Toggle Attack.

Player Instructions > Combat > Free Attack
    Edit: Sniped.

Jaesun, Brass Knuckles and Time Lord like this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i don't think any basic skills like free attack and deck building are gated by trainers any more. the instructions may need to be revised.

Jaesun, Brass Knuckles and Time Lord like this.
  5. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

There is actually a pretty good official manual for the game available online, that isn't well advertised, which I only found several months into playing. There is a section on combat you may want to peruse.

Beaumaris and Time Lord like this.
  6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Welcome Avatar @JohnD212 :)
    I'm a player who most always has a new character building and this is what I have to say about "auto-attack". Most of whatever skill gains you are now experiencing have little effect on your over all character's later skill-set or gains. Auto is like just getting your character strong enough to fight or fight-off a bunny. Getting out, onto the overland map, into a major non-player town and find an NPC Skills Trainer should be your current goal.

:rolleyes: All of the advise given by the above players is very informative and should be taken note of.

Once you have found an NPC Skills Trainer, auto-strike (aka) auto-attack and all things auto should become far less even if it's never turned off as your skills take off at a very accelerated pace.

I personally never even use a card or direct strike till I've been through at least a "1 skull" rated area. Then when encountering a 2 skull rated area, that's when gains with card striking/defending skills truly begin becoming
    necessary and helpful.

There are many ways of doing things, but that's mine...
    Forge ahead Avatar @JohnD212 o_O!
    That's my advice,
    :rolleyes:~Time Lord~

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Beaumaris and Boris Mondragon like this.
  7. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Turning auto attack off still requires talking to a trainer to activate the T shortcut (or it did last time I rolled a new alt a couple of weeks ago!)

Also note though that you don't actually need to target stuff to attack it most of the time

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Alioth
    I wouldn't use the direct doc link. It isn't preserved and changes every now and then.

Instead use the one that I used above which always redirects to the latest one instead, like so:
    That way the link will not go broken and if someone comes along at a later date and finds the post it will still function.

Jaesun, Alioth and Time Lord like this.
  9. JohnD212

JohnD212 Avatar

Thank you for all the help. I don't have access to using the T to toggle it off yet as it indicates it has not unlocked yet. I will seek out a trainer once I'm through the starting area. I like to be a little slower in my approach to combat and it throws me off every time I actually target something and I automatically start attacking (even if I wasn't really ready yet).

So far having fun but just trying to get things working so I feel more in control.

10. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia!

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

Thanks Spoon, I am learning things all the time :D
    You had referred to the "current version" but I failed to catch what you had meant as I didn't read the link. I updated my sig so I remember in the future as well. :)

Jaesun, Spoon and Time Lord like this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]:D Good to have you here @JohnD212 !

JohnD212 likes this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yea, I used to always refer to it as the Player Instructions, but when communicating with new players I noticed that they didn't get what I was referring to, so I've adopted to instead always say Help instead when talking to new arrivals. Which instead confuses old timers, hehe.

*edit*
    You might want to include this one as well to your good to have links
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/

Jaesun and Time Lord like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Just a small note that you can leave that area and return later. (I recommend taking screenshots of the map so that you can find your way back). For instance, one can go to a big town to reach a Bank or Trainer or such things, then simply return back to the outskirt to continue adventuring.
    Solace bridge outskirt > Soltown (to the bridge then follow the road south, further south is Ardoris an even bigger town)
    Highvale outskirt > Resolute (to the north)
    Bloodriver outskirt > Aerie (follow the road south then soutwest)
    (You will accumulate a lot of loot in the Outskirt and going to a big town Bank to store resources for later is advisable since selling them to vendors usually gives less money than selling them to players, like wood/ore/fragments etc).

Also a note is that there are three starting areas (Outskirts), where I would recommend doing all three before diving deeper into any of the other ones. This since they are made for low level avatars.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map//?map_id=1&poi_id=6890&openPopup=true&z=4
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map//?map_id=1&poi_id=6891&openPopup=true&z=4
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map//?map_id=1&poi_id=6896&openPopup=true&z=4

You can go from one to the other using the Lunar Rift (stonehenge teleporter) in the scene with the same name as the outskirts. The Lunar Rift destination changes regularly and you can see the timing of the destinations here:
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Lunar_Rift

Jaesun, majoria70 and Time Lord like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome to the game @JohnD212. I'm Majoria in the game if I can help.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Welcome to the game. You might have discovered it already but there is a huge learning curve to this game especially combat. Just give it time and feel free to ask people for suggestions and You will pick it up. I struggled at first but now I love the combat system and deck building.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So cheesy. :)

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Time Lord likes this.
  18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Welcome to the SOTA community!

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.