The 3 reasons why I don't actually play

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dayero, May 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

They should run some contests to name them. No actual rewards involved, just the fun feeling you helped name someone in game.

I don’t know if that however was some special reward or unique reward for backers though (naming a NPC).

Sean Silverfoot and Sonja like this.
  2. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

1. Combat system is terrible
    2. Combat system is terrible
    3. Combat system is terrible

Log on for a bit of entertainment and kill some stuff for fun..... except, killing things in this game is not fun.

Log on for a bit of PVP..... even worse.

The most basic activities people generally log on for SUCK.

ephialtes, Sean Silverfoot and Sonja like this.
  3. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

What is so terrible about the combat system? It could add a few positional or reactional options but its pretty much like all the others, a set of 10 hot keys that you click.

4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

One good thing about it is that even though it's tab-targeting, it isn't brain-dead about it. I've played games where if you have something selected that is out of range (including friendly NPCs or even yourself), your guy won't even try to auto-attack the mob that's in his face turning it into hamburger. SotA will recognize that you have nothing targeted or your target is out of range, and will steer ranged abilities to something in range. (though sometimes this hits an innocent bystander bunny.)

Just try playing a system like that after playing SotA (hint: LOTRO) and you will see how much worse things can be.

Sonja likes this.
  5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

The tab targeting usually works well, but for the past couple of releases, I've noticed my target changing periodically on its own. Which, depending on what sort of fight I'm doing, can be very problematic. And I'm not talking about the situation where the LoS to my target is lost, and it randomly chooses the next closest mob to attack. I have a clear, uninterrupted LoS on the mob, I've "locked" onto the mob, and the game still randomly targets some other mob when I fire (and my lock gets moved to that mob as well). It's really strange.

Sonja likes this.
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What weapon are you using?

Sonja likes this.
  7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

crossbow

Sonja and Jaesun like this.
  8. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Yes except the 10 hotkeys have

crappy stacking mechanics thrown in
    crappy RNG based effects
    plus a host of other issues lol

If they could improve it to even the level of "substandard mmo" maybe you would see an increase in players.

Lord Baldrith and Sonja like this.
  9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Nothing requires you to use stacking. I don't stack any of my glyphs. For buffs, I use a fixed slot and fully charge it.

10. eli

eli Avatar

If this is a community driven game, and you exclude people who don't enjoy it from your definition of community, your game is fucked.

Lord Baldrith, Sonja and Mishikal like this.
  11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

While not required is true, ask @Sara Dreygon what their first opening move is.....

Sonja likes this.
  12. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Stacking is combos? Or stacking multiple of same type? I have a rolling deck with now 4 fixed keys (used to be 2). I have no problems at all, although I'm not keen on large stacks as if you miss it's waated.

I'll agree that the actual skills, combos, balance, resistance methods all need twerking (re-editing) but I actually find combat mechanism as good as nearly every other game. Perhaps daoc was better.

Sonja likes this.
  13. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

To be honest I like the combat system and using a hybrid of some stable locked slots with some random stacking slots to give more variety to the buffs mainly I can have and to do a couple combos.

As for the grind, if we want to be fair it is the staple of mmos. All mmos got grinds in different forms - reputation grinds, daily quests grinds, dungeon and raid grinds, harvesting grinds, pvp points grinds - the list is endless since there is a variety of mmo games with different ideas to "mask" the grind. Basically games like WoW want you to believe that doing kill x monsters or get x item drops from them quests arent a grind even if done 50+ times or running that single dungeon for the 30th time to get your dungeon points or try for a specific drop but its still a grind

The difference in sandboxes, like SotA, is you get to choose your daily routines(grinds) and even do different ones every day whereas in most theme-parkey games you get railed in pre-decided ones. Also there are more things to bother with like community events or house decoration.

In other words you need to find some things you like within a sandbox game - any sandbox game(I have played lots - EVE, Runescape, Star Sonata, Mortal Online, Elite Dangerous, Darkfall, Perpetuum, Linkrealms, Albion, UO, ArcheAge etc to name a big portion of them) cause unlike themeparks that keep pumping instances and storyline the sandboxes depend more on player chosen content and most dont even have a storyline - pretty much all I can think with story is SotA and ArcheAge. If you cant find things you like it means more likely that sandbox gaming isnt your favorite - we all got different likes and dislikes

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Spoon, Sean Silverfoot, Sonja and 4 others like this.
  14. Snowdog

Snowdog Avatar

a) only care a little
    b) don't care
    c) care a lot
    The crafting grind is terrible and boring. I don't mind a grind if there is something good at the end (hat tip Mac WAB) but this is just overdone and boring, really? I have to make timbers to make planks to make ..no now I need straps? GTF out of here.

In general, I like playing but the dev team is not one I would put up for any awards. sorry guys ..do better

Dhanas likes this.
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

A far better solution is to not open the dialog window with NPCs that have nothing to say. If you click on them, they put the "bark" style "I don't talk to Outlanders" over their head and do not open a window.

Doesn't make sense anyway. "I don't talk to Outlanders." Then they stand there chatting with you for five minutes.

Elwyn, Cordelayne, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  16. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

This community needs to hear constructive criticism. We have a population of 500 on a good day and this is how we find out why.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2019
    Cordelayne and Astirian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.