Magic resistance skills on the way

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

I am still not sure if magic res is working vs mobs, It used to work times ago, hard core pvers will know this better than me for sure. But if it does is pretty relevant for pve.

2. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I mean, I'm not even sure that pve mobs have attunement so it would make most of the suggested changes irrelevant for anything other than pvp

3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It gives the same resistances that celestial blessing and ice shield do. If those work in pve then these will

Dhanas likes this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Well, I will withold judgment until I see the final version of this one.
    But it's nice to see that @Chris is reworking this game one issue after another. Kudos!

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  5. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Really pleased to hear that this is at last getting looked at. Fingers crossed it's done in the right way...

6. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Muggles are a clever people. For Example. We of the magic world still haven't figured out the purpose of the rubber duck. One can only image. It must have been created by a nefarious muggle for sure!

Boris Mondragon and Barugon like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm worried that it'll be like warding gems and jewels and have zero effect in PvE.

8. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Exactly the same worry that I have. Another addition that does nothing for those who just play pve

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019
    Mishikal likes this.
  9. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

It's something promised to players long time ago when Chris reworked combat system and added specializations. Many players like to play as pure warrior character without using any magic skill, and this is something to please their gameplay ( and i am definetly fine with it).
    If warding gem and magic resistance are not working in pve is something wrong and i would bring it to chris's attention, since warding gems are not something designed for pvp only, also magic resistances used to work times ago, i am pretty sure my douse provided me resistance vs dragon's fireball at that time.

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I know warding gems weren't working in pvp but then they were working in pvp at some point later last year. I never really notice a difference in PvE for them but I see everybody use celestial blessing in PvE all the time so figured it was doing something.

But nowadays I say if you don't notice it working, then it doesn't work.

Lazlo and Dhanas like this.
  12. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Semi-recently I noticed damage from Tharsis Vrul's chaos farts has gone back up doing upwards of 400 again. Several releases ago I raised attunement and saw a reduction. Similarly, I don't see any difference between main with high attunement and alt with virtually no attunement on caster damage at brightbone pass.

I have not approached this empirically, but have just noted this casually over average play.

13. sotasota4

sotasota4 Avatar

And even if so?

14. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Hmm, so this new resist gives some of this and takes some of that to then give you some more of that and takes away some more of this right? “Grins”.

Much simpler to do as he said a long time ago and only create a overall magic resist tree in the tactics or focus tree for a flat resistance to all magic trees. More efficiency and less confusion. Make it an innate with xp cost as expensive as specialization and done.

R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever

Gorthyn and Time Lord like this.
  15. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It's been a while since I tested, but the last time that I did, resist from wards, potions, and blessings didn't work in PvE, while attunement resist and resist from some buffs and not others did work.

Would be nice to have some clarity on what is actually intended to work for PvE and what isn't. I'm sure that a lot of people go out of their way for resists that they aren't aware don't actually do anything.

Dhanas and Fister Magee like this.
  16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

o_O Hmm...
    [​IMG]
    YES! :D

17. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The one thing I take from the way it has been described to work is that you will have 2 choices : A. Raise your spells and passives to increase your attunement, which will give you resistance at the same time, or B. Raise the resistance skill, which will lower your attunement but give you the same effect in terms of resistances. This way, mages can't stack both, and thus making it one or the other, not both (which would have served for nothing if it was both).

This is simply a means to get the "Pure warriors" or "Pure Archers" to get resistances without breaking their gameplay and spending millions of exp to train useless skills just to get those resistances.

18. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

The problem come with high end character with 2b+ of exp which can get almost all skill to 120. Those character will simply go resistance in magic skill and have tons of exp in their primary skill (making em stronger in general). But a mage will have to use his exp at 120 in every magic skills so spread that exp more widely than a physical character, making em less strong in their respective specs.

The way i see it: Mage will stay the same but will become less efficient in pvp against character with resistance skills only (which cost less exp in general but give same as if you spent exp into a whole tree to get 10 skill to 100), while physical will get stronger and more focused on their build with all that exp gained from not trying to get all magic skill for resistance.

UNLESS, the exp needed to raise that magic resistance skill in trees cost ton of exp, but then whats the use of it? Better get attunement and be stronger in some of the usefull spell magic have. Like earth etc (which help physical build). Or life for better heals.

So yeah, i dont see this being really good. Will have to see how its done but my faith is kinda low.

Sway, Cordelayne and Boris Mondragon like this.
  19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

20. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

To be clear, if someone reads this that isn’t familiar with how resistances and attunement will interact, the attunement in the resistance tree gets lowered. So fire.warding, which gives the new resistance, will be placed in the air tree. You increase fire warding in the air tree, and it’s fire attunement that gets lowered not air attunement.

Initially the warding skill is 5x skill, that’s what Chris set it to when he was configuring the warding. So it will require a hefty chunk of xp, but not over the top. It will still be less than what would be required to get 100 attunement.

I think it is important to remember the use case for the warding skill, it is intended for people who don’t want to use magic, would use very little magic, or wouldn’t be using magic in a specific tre but would like the resistance. When a player decides that magic in a specific tree is important, the resistance mechanic is going to swing to attunement instead of warding.

Chris acknowledged that certain trees aren’t likely candidates for warding, life being the one he talked about quite a bit. He doesn’t understand why anyone would take life warding, via the death tree, as your life attunement plays a major role in healing. I think he also referenced fire a few times as well. If fire is important to what you want to do, attunement becomes important and fire warding is no longer a benefit. But you could do fire attunement and water warding, if water magic isn’t in the plans.

In the end the player that this is designed for is the player who hasn’t got any plans to use magic.

Boris Mondragon and Gia2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.