Chris launchign another round of promotional emails

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, May 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Yesterday chris mentioned he was bout ready to send out another round of re-engage with shroud! emails. He is doing 2 emails one that's like you're already playing the game, and aother email that's more like here's why you should be playing the game. So like one for folks currently engaged and one recruitment email for folks who aren't already playing

2. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Sounds like we can expect one a week then. I predict many are going to flag port as spam with that frequency.

King Robert likes this.
  3. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Something to consider: If Port has ALREADY been tagged as spam by some users, they will never see these... :p

4. Merlota

Merlota Avatar

Pretty much my point. An email a month detailing what is in the patch isn't too bothersome. It at least has real info on changes. A weekly please come back email is a different animal. This could end up driving away those hoping it gets good enough.

FruityTooty likes this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: We need to make this more personal...
    I think they need to link a YouTube vid where Lord British explains why he believes that this is the right time to come back, or get an account and become involved.
    [​IMG]
    He's our star and we need him to be as cool as we know he can be, even if it's a very short video message.
    "Make it feel personal" ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

6. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

Agreed @Time Lord. Otherwise I would question the overall efficacy of this. The short summary of the email is "we did and fixed stuff, please come back and, here... have a cookie". There has to be some acknowledgement of underlying issues and what Port did and some type of apology. Then explaining what they have done to address these issues of the past and prevent them from the future. It's the difference of people who left because they got bored vs people that left because they didn't like what was done.

7. golruul

golruul Avatar

I really, really hope all these mouse cursor issues are fixed. Because if I came back to that I would immediately leave.

Boris Mondragon and Time Lord like this.
  8. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

I took about an 8 month break and just recently came back. No e-mail required. I just wanted to see what had changed, reconnect with old friends, etc. Maybe make the message about that? Its the people that keep me coming back.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Things to mention list should be written out. So many game changing systems have gotten attention during the last few months. I do wish we had our raid system before doing this and a few other things that were game breakers for some. Anyway game changing system need to be mentioned and highlighted. For example:

-Mail system and examples of usefulness such as for trade like a mail order system. You can mail almost anything in the game to anyone. You can send a subject line note only or type a book, a flyer, a note on blank paper to anyone. It is useful to do if a player is offline and you have a question perhaps.

-Teleport to zone and example of usefulness such as that it marks locations as you visit and on using brings up a list of places you have visited so far (it starts fresh just to note. So you must re-mark *discover* again). Then hover over a location on the scroll with the control key to see what is in the scene. Like mines will tell which ore there is in that mine. You can also filter locations like type *mines* in the filter to bring up all mines to check which you want to visit by which ore is in them.

-Looking for Group and examples of usefulness (aka LFG). Alt f opens up looking for group. You can open up groups to role play, groups to do adventure scenes together,new player groups, groups to sync songs with you and much more.

-****Decay has been removed****

-***All players get 2 free deeds and how to get them.**** One thing not known is where to start if you are not a new player. Hopefully new players are getting a pop up of some sort telling them about the option and how to get a new house but not new players need to know this is happening also.

Anyway these are just some things. Fishing can be mentioned as well but if questing was the reason some improvements to some broken things should be mentioned. Recent updates to taming, fishing, and UI changes are great to list too.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  10. kl4nk

kl4nk Avatar

Thats exacly what i did ..

Fenrus MacRath likes this.
  11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

That taming one sounds great.

12. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

So excited about the taming changes!

13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

If you think one mail per week is spam you never received spam ^^ just saying.
    Non the less I see your point.

14. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Any AAA game does the same nowadays, it all depends on your email client, if you use gmail for example these mails go directly to the section dedicated to advertising.

15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Jupp, I know.
    What I was aiming at is.....well, let me give you an example. I registred for a e-college a couple of years ago for work reasons.
    All good and well. But I get FOUR e-mails EVERY MORNING from them showing me their new offers and stuff.
    I get an e-mail at least once a day from several online shops and so on and on.
    (as you can see, i can't be perturbed by spam at all ^^)
    That's spam. A mail once a week is a friendly reminder nowadays ^^

16. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

RELEASE 66, May 30, 2019

Story: The first area associated with Episode 2 will appear! Work on E-mails delayed our work on Episode 2 Landmass.

17. sotasota4

sotasota4 Avatar

Please no, make it feel professional not personal ))

Cyin likes this.
  18. Fungus44

Fungus44 Avatar

I'm guessing like me many folks have set port emails to be non spam as we sit and wait for our 'your pledge box has been despatched' email

*hits refresh button (again)*

Xandra7 likes this.
  19. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Just wondering if the typo in the thread title is an homage to the original promotional email which had exactly the same thing ;)

20. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

As for the emails, they are only going to people we removed from our normal list because they hadn't clicked through in several months. We'll be changing up who gets what in the next week or so and make it so people who have played in the past 30 days get the regular weekly update and those who haven't played and haven't unsubscribed get the "Look at the cool stuff you're missing!" email.

This isn't anything spammy and you'll only get one or the other. Just increasing the number of people who receive something and tailoring it to whether they are players or people we need to entice to play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.