Global auction/market search discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by golruul, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golruul

golruul Avatar

Is this a couple players buying everything out in a couple (key) areas or everywhere?

If it's just a couple areas, then a global auction house interface would nullify this.

However, if a couple players have enough gold to buy it out everywhere, then we have bigger issues.

Astirian and Amelli like this.
  2. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

A single/few but in all key locations.
    Since the price jumped you could for a while buy from the off path crown markets and sell to the new actor. So in some locations it wasn’t the actor but rather other opportunists buying all in off places and selling to the new actor.

A global auction house would remove the need for such traders but would make market manipulation easier.

Regarding the wealth, anyone with some cash could have done this. Checking the player marketplace one could easily buy 10-20kk right today.
    Since the gold-per-crown price hadn’t followed the gold-per-dollar price for since the crown cent change there was an opportunity (with risk) of about 25%.
    Seems like that panned out for them.

Thwip and Jaesun like this.
  3. golruul

golruul Avatar

On this point, it would be harder to manipulate the market (because the formerly off-path vendors that no one visited will now be visible and will reduce the price) UNLESS one player/guild can literally buy everything on the market and then flip it for what they want. If that's the case, we have bigger issues.

Also, thanks for the info in the rest of your post. I wasn't aware of that.

Astirian and Amelli like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I personally would like to have a global search function that has details about the items and where the vendors are located. I enjoy going to the location to see the town and decorations. What I don't enjoy is having to open each vendor one at a time, scroll through the items and then move on to the next town in order to find what I'm looking for.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Gandra, Beralith, Neverborn and 10 others like this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I have so far not played a single MMO with a global auction house where this wasn't a regular occurance. Done it myself a couple of times.

The only effective counter is like in EVE where someone could simply make more of whatever is the flavor of the week.

But here in sota there are so many limited resources with the rare drops, the livestream rewards, the expired stuff, the crowns, the tier 3 ingredients, etc, etc. It is a practically made for market manipulation, where the only reason why it doesn't happen more often is that the effort of running around all over is a deterrent.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Alioth, Jaesun and Elwyn like this.
  6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Nah, they'd just do the same thing wholesale game-wide. It seems we do have bigger issues.

I've been trying to run a small-scale in-game exchange with my own stuff. In a normal economy with things bought and sold based on need, if I bought out other exchanges to get my supply, I would lose money. The only way I would make any money is by cleaning everyone else out and becoming the only seller left with any inventory. All it would take is enough IGG to . And that seems to be what is happening, unless they're doing stuff that actually needs that many cotos (some of the bigger dungeons have been like that) and they're simply too cheap to support Portalarium. In other words, I don't even know where they are reselling all those cotos, unless it's the forums or outside RMT.

I wonder if the guild that shall not be named is the one I think it is.

If only there was a way to allow vendor orders to be filled by anyone, but sales only to gulidies. I could do it with two vendors, but that wouldn't work on a row lot. Or maybe I could put one in the basement, but that's a pain in the ass. It still wouldn't solve the problem of the general price increase of cotos.

It won't help, new players need to be able to sell their stuff, that's how the economy is designed, and this is purchases, not sales. If they bought on a throwaway character, they could just give them to an existing character for resale. I suppose there would have to be a way for the throwaway character to get money in the first place, and that could be limited, but I'm not sure if anything short of the old trial account restrictions would work.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  7. golruul

golruul Avatar

Lol. Alright, this is the first legitimate concern that I've read against having a global auction house. Most of the others were all forms of thinly veiled "don't do it because not only would I not be able to gouge other players on prices, the prices themselves will go down resulting in less profit for me".

I wasn't aware this monopolizing was going on because I don't interact with the player market at all.

Amelli and Elwyn like this.
  8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

NO.

This is no different than an auction house, in fact, might as well just get rid of vendors altogether because at that point the only difference is that people have to go to your vendor. This would destroy the economy and everyone would just end up undercutting everyone else and this would ONLY benefit the very wealthiest of players. You think people are going around and buying cheap stuff now? Wait until everyone's stuff is in a price-sorted list with directions to where the cheap stuff is.

@that_shawn_guy I understand your frustration. However, in a free market, this is the chance you take. If you're wholesaling something (selling for cheaper than everyone else) it's an inevitability that this is going to happen. I have had this happen AND I have purchased stuff off others to re-sell too. It was my job in games with Auction Houses, actually.

The only suggestion i can make is to create some sort of consortium of Crown exchanges, if they're willing, to try to level out the prices. Otherwise...free market. It sucks, but it is what it is. At the end of the day, really, all you have to do is match other prices.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Tailz, Cristiano Kimberlin and Elwyn like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You'll note that I didn't say the information should include the price, so how would that happen?

Beralith and Elwyn like this.
  10. Alleine Dragonfyre

You're still setting people up for undercutting in a massive way.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

As it is, I don't participate in the player economy because it's too painful, so I really don't care about this concern (you also didn't explain how).

Amelli likes this.
  12. Alleine Dragonfyre

As someone that gamed the markets in other games extensively, it's quite simple. Find vendors, buy stuff, resell it at a higher markup. It's best to focus on just a few things and OWN the market for these - meaning buy ALL of the supply in the game and sell it at the price you set. Your database for vendors just made my job a hell of a lot easier. It's that simple.

Basically, @Barugon you're arguing for something that will make YOUR life easier, not improve the economy or Shawn's problem. It would make it worse. Capice?

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019
    Cristiano Kimberlin likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I bet that I'm not the only person that is discouraged from buying items from player vendors because of how time consuming and painful it is, so arguments about how a global search function will hurt the economy are bunk. There's also the fact that most other MMOs have some form of global search or auction house.

Drifa, Gandra, Beralith and 7 others like this.
  14. Alleine Dragonfyre

There is a trade channel in-game and on Discord. You would simply ask there. Your not wanting to exert a little energy is not worth destroying the game's economy.

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Not a good solution.

Beralith, Cordelayne and Amelli like this.
  16. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Isn't this fundamental to a free market economy.? A free market without competition doesn't work. Customer choice must exist, and for customer choice you need the information.

There is a reason in real life the mergers and monopolies stop two huge market share companies from merging.

If someone is prepared to under cut you then don't customers deserve to know they can buy it cheaper??

I'm a seller and have no problem with a searchable list advertising what I sell to my customers AND competitors.

Regards
    Spung

Drifa, Gandra, Beralith and 4 others like this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I expect that those who argue so vehemently against a global search function are those who have a vendor in a well established trade town and want to hold on to that advantage. They don't want a fair landscape.

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Or you could say that people that argue for it are lazy. Too lazy to look stuff up, too lazy to search for a better location, too lazy to play the economic warfare game.
    They don't want the honest trader to be rewarded for his/her work.

I guess there are at least two sides to each story if the statement is that plain *shrugs*.

Cristiano Kimberlin likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yeah, too lazy to spend all their gaming time searching for items.

Gandra, Beralith, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Well, in EvE that's part of the meta game.
    You don't have to like it but there are people that actually do like it.
    I wouldn't even disagree with you if you would say this game is possibly to small for a meta game like that.
    But you didn't. You just put a pretty plain accusation into the empty space about "those people". From a political point of view this may be the new big thing as well all know.
    But I am not going to stand for it. I am "on of those people". I never had a prime spot for selling. It doesn't even matter if you have one. Selling in this game is rather easy if you are willing to do a modicum of research. You can even creat your own prime spot for selling if you want to go the extra mile.
    As I said, there are actually people out here that like this kind of meta game. That doesn't make us evil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.