Magic resistance skills on the way

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Arkah EMPstrike, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

100 attunement resist does not equate to 100% immunity.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

That is my main concern as well. I really want to see it be the biggest out of the two numbers, so either you have 100 attunement resulting in 50 points, or 100 in the resistance skill which nets you 50 points, but neither being stackable. That is the only way that I see some fairness here.

And for those saying they trained the skills, either A you have a bunch of useable spells now, or B untrain them and put your EXP elsewhere now.

Barugon likes this.
  3. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Ok. I thought you were talking about immunity not attunement.

Boris Mondragon and Barugon like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Let's hope that @Chris has it worked out that way.

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  5. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Why not let them stack with a maximum total resist to each magic tree capped at 80 like @Sentinel2 and I suggested. That way you can “Keep “ the attunement you grinded hours to get and work on a new innate to take your overall magic resist to 80.

@Chris; give this some thought and avoid more people heading out the door while you are trying to both lure new ones and getting others back.

R/Boris/El Pirata/

6. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

The idea is to give people an alternative method to gain resistance not to give people mnore resistance. If you can get more resistance combining both attunement and wardig, nothing has changed. People will be forced to put xp into magic skills they will never use.Even the minimu xp level indicates that it is a bypass for attunement; it isn't going to require any xp in the tree to start leveling it. It requires 0 levels in the preceeding skills to get the skill and to start leveling it. But since its an innate skill you are going to have to use magic from the tree to level it.

(Not directed to any particular person)
    Why does anything new, such as warding, have to be used by everyone. Why can't it be either or, a decision that is made to use attunment or warding for resistance and not both?

Violette Dyonisys and Time Lord like this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

So... If you still need to use magic to level it up, how does that help the players that don't want to use magic? They'll need to use less, maybe, since it's just one skill vs. the whole tree, but "pure melee" is still not going to be an option.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: "In My Player Opinion"
    [​IMG]

I'm an anti-magic player... o_O mostly...
    Keep it simple and stupid and that's the life for me! :D
    Pure melee is never going to be an option :p I wish it different, but that's what it's looking like.
    Yet I will say that when other trees are added to and branches extended, I think there still may be a chance, yet healing will always be magical.
    :rolleyes:~TL~

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  9. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Of course, this is only part of the problem for someone who wants to be a non-magical character. You still can't do that completely, since there is no skill-based healing available outside of Magic trees. Potions don't cut it. We still need a Tactics-based "bandage" equivalent.

10. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Because, while you use magic from the tree to level it up, no xp is required in any of the tree’s other magic skills. The only skill that uses xp is the warding skill. It isn’t the best rap solution, but at least it’s something. If you look at air for example, all the skills stay at 0 xp except for the warding skill. That is the only skill in the tree that levels. Are you pure melee with 0 magic skills. I guess you could argue that it isn’t from a skill perspective but the end result is that you get your resistance.

Now if you don’t want any silly magic skills at all, use the tactics warding skill. Not sure what the negatives are for that one though. Chris didn’t talk about that at all.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you have already trained up the magic skills and the warding is an either/or thing then there's no issue.

12. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

The warding for those that use magic skills while mainly melee gives resistance at the price of attunement. We have two magic skill trees that offer resistance within the tree without attunement cost and add to the attunement, (Fire/Water) why not add resistance trees to the other magic schools. What is disturbing is that this they plan to give resembles the majority of the useless artifacts that give this and take that. Seems there is a negative connotation associated which is unnecessary. R/Boris

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Derp, I forgot about the tactics tree warding. I r smrt!

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

We actually have three - fire, water and air. Those skills will continue to work as they do and are not tied to attunement, so they are outside the scope of this conversation.

15. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

You may think they are outside the scope but I do not so I will continue to post my opinion on this subject. If you do not like my opinions keep yours to yourself.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It has nothing to do with liking your opinion. If you get one of those skill to 100 then you get +25 resist regardless of attunement. It will work whether you choose magic or warding.

17. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother, I understand your point and how it will work. For someone with high attunement already it does not seem to be worth it. i.e. I have 90 attunement in most magic schools and that I assume gives me 45 pct resistance by itself to that school, If I choose warding in that same school then I lose attunement so the math is a bit confusing. For those with no interstest in any magic whatsoever it gives them a way to "ward" themselves but for those that want to use both melee and magic it seems a waste of time. Just my two cents. R/Boris

Barugon likes this.
  18. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

That is exactly the point of these skills Boris, to have an alternative to training magic skills, you have option A. Train magic skills, which will net you attunement and resistance as a side effect, or B. Train the warding skills (or the one from the tactics tree) which will give you resistance without the skills or the attunement.

These warding skills are supposed to be a one or the other kind of thing, to allow players to play the way they prefer, instead of needing to train 10 spells/passives per magic school simply to get the resistance. For someone who NEVER plans to use magic, this is a life saver, meanwhile what you are asking is simply just another skill to train on top of everything else, which would discourage people even more.

Jaesun and Boris Mondragon like this.
  19. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

On the I need to use magic to level the "warding" (or whatever it will be called) skill.

I hope it would tick and invest XP every time a calculation is used that requires that resistance stat. Just as fireproof etc do.

So you level it by being attacked BY that magic it resists as opposed by using magic of the tree it is in.

Regards
    Spung

Boris Mondragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.