Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Soltown - Suspicious Character does not go hostile

Discussion in 'Quests, Conversations, & NPC's' started by Anpu, May 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

05/02/2019 12:06
    Title: Soltown - Suspicious Character does not go hostile
    Reproduction Rate: 1/1
    Blocker?
    Details: When speaking the phrase "come at me" he makes a threatening reply, but does not dis-engage dialogue and go hostile. I was here during the night and have the Amulet quest.
    Steps to Reproduce: Get quest for Amulet, go to this location in Soltown. Click on phrase "come at me". Clicking on come at me speaks the phrase Stop what you are doing. Note, NPC never turns hostile.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 0 @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 16303
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GPU RAM: 8079
    SotA.Win.64.963.Date.05.01.19
    Area: Novia_R1_City_Soltown
    Area Display Name: Soltown
    Loc: (-164.1, 27.1, -11.4)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjFfQ2l0eV9Tb2x0b3dufHwoLTE2NC4wNjYsIDI3LjA2OSwgLTExLjQxOCl8KDAsIDAuNzkyLCAwLCAwLjYxMSl8NDY0LjczMjF8MjIuMDU3MjR8My44MTA4NDU=

2. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Happened for me as well last week. To complete the quest, it forces you to attack first, whether that's in character or not.

3. Amariithynar

Amariithynar Avatar

Weird. Whenever I encounter him and use that phrase he says something to me, goes aggro, then starts attacking while I'm still in dialogue with him (at which point I quickly mop the floor with him).

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah that’s how I remember this working previously.

The last time I tried, saying come at me does nothing. I’ll go try again later...?

5. Amariithynar

Amariithynar Avatar

Do you have the quest from speaking with the refugees? I know that I never encountered him until after I was asked to investigate.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yes I have the quest from the lady to find the amulet.

Of note, he is always there. He is there only at night.

7. Amariithynar

Amariithynar Avatar

Yeah he is always there for me too, when he is supposed to only be there at night.

8. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

This works properly for me, in both my editor and on the live server. Are you still experiencing this problem?

To be specific, the "Suspicious Character" can only spawn at night, but he doesn't automatically despawn when night is over. He'll go away if he's killed, or if no players are close enough for long enough and his spawner is allowed to go inactive. So it's possible that he spawns at night, doesn't get killed, and never despawns because players are nearby and passively keeping his spawner active.

Amariithynar likes this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yes. Yesterday I tried several times saying the stop what you are doing line, but they would never go hostile. I finally just gave up and just killed him and turned in the amulet.

There possibly might be some bug that saying certain things might cause the stop what you are doing line to fail, and they don’t go hostile? But sadly I can’t reproduce this now.

Next time I try this with a new character, I’ll see if I can possibly try to find what may be causing this, if I do observe that again.

10. Sannio

Here's some behind-the-scenes info: The "stop what you're doing" response has an "attack" action attached to it. Sometimes we also attach a "bye" action to ensure the conversation is killed. Maybe the "bye" action cutting off the conversation has become more important over time, somehow. At any rate, that's the only unusual thing I can think of. I'll add that "bye" action and hope not being in conversation anymore will make him realize he should be fighting.

Amariithynar and Jaesun like this.
  11. Sannio

OK, I just added that change. We'll see if that fixes things for everyone who talks to him.

Amariithynar and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.