Global auction/market search discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by golruul, May 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khal Drogo

Khal Drogo Avatar

We need a function to search vendors globally ingame .

When was the last time you bought something from other people in THIS GAME ? Im sure the devs can better determine the effects of a change like this for the game.

The economy right now is a big bubble representing prices set by a handfull of people established in the big market towns ..a global search function of vendor goods will break that bubble and allow players from all corners of new brittania to participate in the economy ..that means some prices will drop hard ..some maybe will rise ..but at least we will have a reall value for goods and not the legends few people tell us.... this costs xxx because i advertise my goods all day long and i have a prime spot location in a high traffic town . A simple vendor search will basically allow any potential buyer to choose an item based on price + quality and not based on location as it is now. So chill ...im sure we will survive this change .

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2019
    Koneko, Drifa, Ampevelyn and 9 others like this.
  2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Got a couple of solutions.

1.) Search per town
    2.) Search per region
    3.) Search the world

I personally would prefer option 1 or 2.
    Option 3 would take too much fun out of trading imo.
    Making a cut by buying and reselling is part of the fun.
    If they settle for option 3 we can just put up a wow style auction system and be done with it and I somewhat doubt that this is what mostz people want. This game was advertised with local economy. There is not much left of it but imo we shouldn't kill the bit that is left.

3. oplek

oplek Avatar

The notion that people being able to find the goods they want to purchase, would destroy the economy, indicates to me that there's something else very wrong with the economy. It's no longer an "economy" at that point... it's treasure hunting.

Koneko, Drifa, Ampevelyn and 9 others like this.
  4. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Put an auction house up, there's still plenty of meta in playing the auction house game. It puts all lots on equal footing so new players aren't at a disadvantage, nor is there that big of a blocker for them to get into the trading game.

We want to encourage new blood, not gatekeep the game (a sure fire way to keep a small player base).

Amelli likes this.
  5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

That won't work, the people causing the problem are specifically not going to become part of such a thing.

Right. I'm okay with something that at least on the town level would let you see by item type, just to avoid going where you won't find what you are looking for. But I am still concerned that it could take a lot of work to get the database set up to make this work well. Notice how long it already takes to just load one vendor's window? That's why I think the "combine all the public vendors" option is the most straightforward. It would be an easy change, it's something global, it has excessive fees, new players can understand it, and I don't think it would compete unfairly with individual vendors.

Vladamir Begemot and Bedawyn like this.
  6. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Yes pls. I`m sure that we will come to this. Hope it will be sooner, then later. I think 90-95% of the population for this, and only tiny part - against it.

Ampevelyn, Beralith, Amelli and 2 others like this.
  7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

And I think your numbers are off.

Dartan Obscuro and devilcult like this.
  8. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I find it is perfectly legitimate to charge a little extra for the service of offering everything conveniently in one location.

Let's not forget: time is money. Lately I was too cheap to spend 5k on a pattern I really wanted when I found it on one of Mac's vendors. In the end, that decision cost me more than two hours running around searching for an alternative. Yes, I finally got the pattern for 1k, so I saved 4k gold. With a time commitment of 2 hours.

I know, Cotos is an entirely different topic, just wanted to give my view on what Mac just wrote.

9. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Likewise I have bought a number of recipes from Mac knowing full well that if I were to spend the time searching around I could get them cheaper elsewhere. That's Mac providing a service where you can choose whether or not to pay extra for the convenience of having everything in one place. Of course a global AH would make providing that kind of service obsolete.

10. golruul

golruul Avatar

FYI, for anyone reading this, I was not the original poster and did not create this topic. There were several posts before my top post, but somehow I ended up as author of this topic and the previous posts were deleted.

In fact, in my top post I start with a question that was aimed at the previous post by someone else. So that's why it doesn't make much sense.

Amelli likes this.
  11. oplek

oplek Avatar

Seems an ethereal moderator has the time to shuffle/merge responses around.

Oracle Watcher likes this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Your argument was to accuse people of being lazy.

Amelli likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Right now, if you don't have a vendor in a premium location then you don't get to participate. Arguments have been made that you can peddle your stuff on global chat but that's a poor solution.

14. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Market search will break economy just like it did in many game, the only result of this will be a price war until people sell so low to get first view in the search bar that other will get fed up and just leave, is a fact. Just the gold value dropping by 400% last 1-2 year already made people leave in mass.

Having a prime spot in a prime city is just a matter of talking about it much. People that started novia market (myself included) have spammed for months to get people there, have well tought about setting up the town in a certain way just like many other town (crafter town, brit alley, crossroads, owl heads etc). I dont think we have an advantage on anyone else, its just more known. And its possible to anyone to get his shop known to the world using the same way we did, spam it and make people discover it. And global trade chat is actually working. I see alot of people do trade every day, more will do over time.

Tailz, Elwyn and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  15. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Focus should be on new players, let's look on their situation from their eyes.
    They need good armor and weapons to faster earn money and XP, the faster they earn money the more they can spend on armor to earn xp faster or deco to play deco part of the SOTA(its great part of SOTA btw)
    So why to force them to pay hours of the gameplay for nonsense traveling throw the POTs to buy cheaper stuff or stuff which they exactly need.
    Global search feature for sure will drop prices on goods, is it bad for new players? - NO, it is good for them. Does it give them more satisfaction from the game -YES.
    Buying for REAL market prices, not the theory market price like x2-x3 normal price is a GOOD for the economy, the new player will know that even he will decide to sell the goods he bought he will be able to do it and don't lose a huge amount of IGG, another point here that the volume of buy/sell activities will rise significantly, yes profit in a moment will be less, but volume in the economy is MORE important.

Then let's look about disadvantages (I don't see it in a general for overall SOTA population) but I see it for an EXACT group of people who sell on heavy prices motivated by vendor location and etc. Should DEV focus on this group - for sure not, they should dont care about them at all.

No, it would not.
    They will leave, x5 new one will come and would be satisfied. Price war is GOOD for economy x2-x3 prices are BAD for the economy - its the real fact.
    So you for months selling overpriced goods and it is ok for you and you defend this position, even don't want to discuss it lol :confused:

P.S. Guys it is the same situation as price drop for CFV - does it good for the game - yes, does it bad for tiny group of players - yes. Did Devs made it right step with this - YES. They just should make same with global search and dont care about tiny group of players who defend their right to sell overpriced goods

Beralith, Astirian, golruul and 2 others like this.
  16. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I heard that often, alot more will come, yet i only see the number go down. Not sure where your presumption come from.

I sold cheaper for over a year, always seeking other vendor, checking price, and selled cheap, thats how we got the town known. So not sure what you talking about mr Spinok ;p
    I just dont play that market game anymore since price dropped too much (yep, i dont care anymore about selling stuff in game, so i just sell the price which i think is fair, and dont check other vendor price anymore or care about it) But thats because the market went down, i left it. And i know many will take that path if their own market get down too (i only sell rare drops).

But what you just said there is exactly what gonna happen, those that want to sell for a certain price wont be able to anymore, cause all price will be tanked down to nothing. So dont expect new player to make any gold on what they find in game. You think they will stay 5x more?

Elwyn and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  17. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I feel like having a limited search would be a good idea just for the fact that I don't find going door to door when each town has over 100 vendors to load and most people don't name their vendor what is on it or have a plan for their inventory.

I think if you could search for goods but ONLY within the town you are in, it would still promote visiting markets to look for stuff, but cut down on the door to door stuff

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Yes. I copied the quality of your argument by purpose .

As I already said: That isn't true. And repeating it doesn't make it true.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  19. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Remember in this environment, sell and buy orders do not expire. Auction house flipping works because low volume items are sold under priced. Most auction houses limit to 3 or 7 days listing. So seeing a rare item value is hard for people that don't know their real value. But player vendors orders are forever so people will see what others are selling things for. As well as what people are buying things for (see below). Flipping the entire supply of the global market is not easy. Flipping a 3 to 7 day snapshot of the economy is easy.

If the buy orders are published with the sell orders, most auction houses don't have buy orders, then why would you ever sell below the highest buy order?

This helps regulate the sell orders from dropping quickly in short period of time. If they drop over the long term then that just shows the real value of the item and the over supply in the economy.

Port should see this and create mechanics to increase the demand. They don't control the player economy directly, but they can influence how useful different thing are through mechanics. Eg wood price was tanking to the bottom until brewing created demand from casks. Granite was only worth the NPC price until dungeon parts needed it.

Regards
    Spung

Amelli likes this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I also agree that Trade Chat is a double edged sword. While it does give you a way to look for exactly what you need, it also deters (at least me) from using vendors as much. I sell my stuff in trade chat and am more easily able to find somone to buy it. I recently took all my stuff off my vendor that I had advertised quite a bit and verbally advertised the individual goods in trade chat instead and sold it much quicker that way.

Theres also been many times I've jumped on a "looking for item" in trade chat and made a sale that way.

But the other edge of the sword is that for folks who have a well set-up vendor (for instance theres a food vendor I always use) and keep it stocked, I don't even go to trade chat for that stuff because I know right where it is (and have some knowledge of what its worth so I don't get ripped off)

In short, I had ALOT of trouble selling modestly until trade chat was opened. And I think it would help folks in a similar position as me if people could just find what they want easier.

A bigger thing would be to make it so you could partially purchase a psoted order, or just sell to part of a bulk order. That's a bigger issue in my opinion and would solve a lot of problems folks that don't relentlessly farm things face (like HOARDING)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.