how does anyone even play this game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danburo13, May 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Yeah, no. If nothing else, that is going to steal your main RAM for video memory. So right away you can subtract 2GB from your main RAM. Intel HD with 4 digits maybe, Intel HD with 3 digits, forget it. That's why I suggested running Speccy, just copying the mfg. specs doesn't make everything clear, and they might be incorrect.

WoW is from 2004, SotA is 10+ years newer. I would have no trouble running FFXI on your computer too.

On the Nvidia side I recommend at least a 750ti or GT 1030. (that's not a typo, I have had success with a low-profile heat-sink GT 1030 in a portable small-factor PC) I'd recommend a GTX 1050Ti or 1660.

Wait, doesn't -U mean an Intel mobile CPU? Are you trying to run it on a laptop? With Intel graphics? Getting SotA to run well on a non-gaming laptop isn't easy. The first thing you have to do is get more RAM, then set the graphics to fastest, etc.

Time Lord and Jaesun like this.
  2. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

How does anyone play this game?.... With a computer that has a Graphics card in it that meets the minimum requirements to be honest.

It *is* possible to run it (pretty badly) on a computer using onboard graphics but it won't run well sorry. Its a fairly demanding game.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

They still sell PCs with on board graphics? I don't think I've had that since the late 90s...Is this one of those all-in-one deals?

Time Lord likes this.
  4. RobotBeginner

RobotBeginner Avatar

According to (" https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/directCompute.html "), the benchmark of Intel HD 520 is rating as "563".
    For nowadays 3D games, it is quite hard to run a 3D game with decent frame rate per second with Intel HD 520 graphics card.
    You can try to look for more information about Intel HD 520 like this one "Intel HD graphics 520 - What games can it play?" --> https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/intel-hd-graphics-520-what-games-can-it-play.2496844/

Have you tried to set the graphics setting to Simple, Fast or Fasttest on the video option menu ingame (press ESC and hit video tab)?
    If you haven't tried yet, then you can try and see if it helps.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Geaux and Time Lord like this.
  5. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Apparently it's a laptop, so I suppose you could say that.

563 what? out of what?

I think the point is that he didn't get to the point of starting it at all, something that would be rather unlikely with 8GB RAM and Intel graphics.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Besides very few games out there have as much to load as this game. Imagine one player lot that has 230 lights and a ton of player placed deco and this is just one lot. Imagine a whole town of it. Wow does not have that by any means. What game does? This game can't be compared to games that don't cater to players ideas for years and years and we still have more we ask for. So anyway as mentioned it is a demanding game but lots of possibilities for players to create a nice virtual world.

7. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Original Poster: Your laptop's Graphics Processing Unit is far below the Minimum Recommended Specifications. To be fair, this game is not well-optimized and that is to some degree the fault of the engine and to some degree the fault of the design of the game systems.

One doesn't simply, hop in a Ford Fiesta and do a 10-second quarter-mile.

8. Arturius Magnus

Arturius Magnus Avatar

Dudes, I play a lot this game, love the community AND I have a really REALLY OLD PC, and I play fine, obviously I could play better, but I have no complains if I can play on a:

CPU Q6600 (from 2006)
    RAM 8Gb
    SSD
    Nvidia GT 730
    Windows 10 Pro

9. Arturius Magnus

Arturius Magnus Avatar

Dudes, I play a lot this game, love the community AND I have a really REALLY OLD PC, and I play fine, obviously I could play better, but I have no complains if I can play on a:

CPU Q6600 (from 2006)
    RAM 8Gb
    SSD
    Nvidia GT 730
    Windows 10 Pro

10. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Daaaaaaaaang

11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

But you're not trying to run on Intel integrated video. Really, just having a decent GPU from the past 8 years or so, with its own video RAM, is a long way toward being able to play this game. I don't know what the original poster had been playing on his computer, but it probably wasn't much of anything from this decade.

"What kind of chip you got in there, a Dorito?" - "Weird" Al Yankovic

12. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Personally I'm looking to upgrade my video card to a 1080Ti. Or something around there. Haven't decided whether it will be on the same hardware, or replacing the system entirely. Leaning towards the latter.

The newer Nvidia's look a bit pricy. Either way, I'm currently running a 960GTX. Runs fine for the most part. Some scenes you hit some issues with performance. Xenos for instance is a great one to test.

These days it's difficult to find anything that runs well on older hardware. Unless it's older software that is

:)

13. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

When I looked (in the UK here) a few weeks ago I was able to get a 2080 for about the same price as the few 1080Ti's that were still available. My thinking was that their raw performance is similar but the 2080 brings new stuff to the table that should bring a benefit down the line as games start to support the new features.

Overkill for SOTA ofc (although its good for running 2 clients at the same time) :)

Sentinel2 likes this.
  14. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I'll take a look at it. I'm thinking of using partspicker online to figure something out. I figure I don't need an 8 core this time (hardly anyone uses that many). Maybe a 6. Unless the 8 is on sale that is :D

Scanphor likes this.
  15. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

Take a look at the i5 8400 it's a gem. It's quoted as a 2.8 GHz CPU but runs all 6 cores at 3.8 under load. I built a pc with one of those recently and in real world performance it is only a whisker behind my previous generation i7 7700k.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  16. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

[QUOTE="One doesn't simply, hop in a Ford Fiesta and do a 10-second quarter-mile.[/QUOTE]

Unless using Nitrous of course...

moxiepilot and rebbieforever like this.
  17. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

I was wondering if you had feedback for me as well...and thanks for the Test Link...results below...

My Video Card is freezing up in a hard crash that requires powering the PC off and back on manually, only while SOTA is running, at intervals of 1-3 hours typically. I say only while running SOTA because I cannot reproduce it without SOTA running. It seemed to be the worst during the Scavenger Hunt a week ago, when I was travelling to many different locations in game over a short period of time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I was told by a SotA dev to spend $150 to get a GTX 1050... it wasn't easy since I don't have money at that time...

[​IMG]

fortunately, my daughter gave me $200 USD so I bit the bullet and got a GTX 1050 for around $190 USD last year...

[​IMG]

the GTX 1050 improved a lot of games like GTA 5... it looked a lot better... SotA looks the same and still at the fastest graphics setting and also recently crashed my graphics driver while I was hitching and lagging badly in Ardoris...

also, this is my actual window resolution when I'm playing SotA for long periods... 854x480

[​IMG]

I do increase it to 1280 x 720 when I'm streaming or taking screenshots but, when I'm just playing for very long periods, it's at 854 x 480 for better performance...

I'm not saying everyone here is WRONG... the thing with PC gaming is, everyone has different experiences even with lower or higher spec PCs...

I'm just sharing my experience with the game.... :)

Time Lord likes this.
  19. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

Weird, I got no problems with 1280 x 720 and "Fast" on my two PCs. One has AMD AM3+ Triple Core 3.1GHz and the second has Intel i3 2.4Ghz, they both got 8gb and they both got 2gb cards(AMD for the first and Nvidia for the second). First one has 500GB disk SATA3 and second has 240gb SSD. Their performance is similar with just a bit better load times for the second one. Also the first one has Win 7 and the second Win 10. My connection is fairly good but I am a lot far from their datacenters since living in Greece. I cant multitask a lot with chrome since its a memory hog but it plays decent - max I can have is 3 tabs on chrome while playing but I usually have 2, plus discord and steam

20. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

Assuming the OS is pristine and nothing has been corrupted..
    If you are having that kind of bsod you should check temperatures/APU condition. MB condition.

Elwyn, Scanphor and rebbieforever like this.
  21. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

Agree with Gia2 above

You can download a free temperature monitor like hwmonitor and run it(its a tiny window) on a corner that is visible while you play the game on window. This way you can notice GPU and CPU cores temperature

Gia2 and Scanphor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.