let us dye the red sash

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Alioth, May 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

Please make the red sash dyeable. Would be very helpful for borders with deco.

There are already other "red" items like the "red dress" that are dyeable.

Thanks for considering
    @Scottie

2. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Since the Red Dress IS dyeable & then you are asking for the Red Sash to be dyeable (fair call as the Red Dress is already dyeable)....
    Then these items should have the prefix "red" removed from their names, cos the title is completely illogical if they aren't actually red.

3. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

How about let us WEAR the red sash?

Cordelayne, Time Lord and Scottie like this.
  4. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Hmnnnn!
    This may be something I could do... See my response to Lazarus below, as I enquire further about what it means to decorate with a sash....
    Not a bad idea... Quick question, though, does either of these items "default" to being red? For instance, before you try to dye the Red Dress, does it look Red already, by default? If so, changing the name may not be wise...
    If you can't "wear" the Red Sash already (and may never be able to, considering the way things like that work in the "clothing system"), would being able to "dye" it merely provide value because you can "decorate" with it somehow? I'm not sure how sashes are used in decoration...

Cordelayne, Jaesun, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  5. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

@Scottie

Both these items "appear" Red initially.
    I am not in-game now, but as far as I recall, even if you dye the "red dress" After dying it, it is still labelled the "red dress". (Maybe someone else can confirm, or clarify this)

Also, as far as I recall, the "red sash" (from the quest/vendor in the Mine) is just a place-able item & looks like a "folded piece of cloth" (almost like a folded towel).
    So it is not wearable. (it is available ONLY by a Vendor in Owls Nest) & really part of the "Red Sash Bandit" quest.
    Again... I could be wrong on both of my recollections/assumptions of how they are portrayed in-game.

Scottie, Alioth and Time Lord like this.
  6. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

Yes— it is a “fabric bolt” essentially, and off the top of my head is used a few places. One for making a tailoring space look proper. Two, as a border for flooring gaps between pavers or carpets. Also can be used as a surface for chests or tables.

7. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

I get a few every time I kill red sash bandits.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Umm... if you wear the Red Sash, is it even visible on your avatar?

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I use them on top of the stone blocks, since the collision boxes on the blocks make most items placed on top of them appear to sink in quite a bit. The cloth/sashes are thick enough that they don't sink in completely, and objects placed on top of them display properly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Barugon and Alioth like this.
  10. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

@Scottie
    It's one of our only small flat building blocks.

Here are more examples:

Display table
    [​IMG]

Bench cushion
    [​IMG]

Floor edging
    [​IMG]

Cordelayne likes this.
  11. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Ah, I understand now. Thanks for the explanation! ^_^

Unfortunately, I may not be able to change the nomenclature in cases like these, because I recall a choice awhile back in one of the numerous "proper" (or at least accepted) nomenclature discussions concerning items like this, and the final decision was, if an object specifically starts off as a depicted color visually, and is named as such as a result,...then even if dyeing it is allowed, it still retains the name of its original color, because the way our dye system works, the color you dye something is actually affected by any base color it already has... For instance, if you dye something already red with a yellow dye it should become a sort of orange-ish color because of the colors "blending".

So, I suppose, from the standpoint of the chosen nomenclature, in the same way that (if you dye a non-dyed Whatchamacallit green, for instance) it doesn't then display as a "Green Whatchamacallit",...it continues to remain a "Whatchamacallit"..., if you die a "Red Whatchamacallit" blue, then blue mixes with the red in some way to become purple-ish (so it never becomes a "pure" version of blue), and the item still remains a "Red Whatchamacallit" (because the red still remains beneath the added blue dye), but can be inspected to see that someone applied the blue dye to it to make it look purple-ish... It's literally a Red Whatchamacallit (Dyed) in the inventory listing, and in the complex tooltip containing all sorts of data about the item, it specifically will tell you what dyes were used to make it the color it now appears (even if it is a blend)...

We could potentially create a version of the Red Dress that, instead, was all grayscale (or close to some base fabric color that reads as "undyed" to the eye), and then it would simply be called "Dress"... Then, once you dyed it, it would say Dress (Dyed) in inventory (plus the extended details of the dyes you use if moused over)... This sounds more like what you might eventually want, while leaving us the naming flexibility of having dyed items "pre-colored" if we wish...

12. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Sounds like a plan Scottie!

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Many people use these sashes (and stolen bolts of cloth which are available in beige and green) to represent towels and linnen.

One of my biggest deco wishes, if it is ever possible, is towels you can hang from the walls, like cloaks. I decorated countless bathrooms, a public bath house and a sauna, and I always use sashes and bolts of cloth as "towels" and always wish we'd have actual towels in the game.

Jaesun and Alley Oop like this.
  14. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

(also crumpled into a pile that will fit in a crafted laundry basket.)

at least with resizing my striped cloth bolts can be bath towels and hand towels.

15. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

@Scottie - also note, there is an item called "Red Cloth Bolt" which is identical to the "Red Sash"

Jaesun likes this.
  16. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

The red sash is sort of a trophy. You can sell them for bounty cash or display them for demonstrating your bandit killing prowess. You shouldn't be able to dye it.

We should be able to get a craftible and dyable cloth bolt for deco.

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Or craft a different version of the sash that we can dye.

18. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Or simply more versatline dyeable tiles of all sorts and sizes for creative decorating.

AoiBlue and Alioth like this.
  19. Alioth

Alioth Avatar

Where? If you are talking about in Owls Head, I’m pretty sure that’s been turned off forever, at least since release when I started playing. Maybe I am mistaken or missed something (please tell me if so).

20. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Somewhat turned off. You can get full tag price from any owl's head vendors which is much higher than equivilant items (but still not worth it.)

I think they should bring back these bounty quests where you can turn in a specified stack size for tag price or 1.5 times tag price and some XP.
    I would go for 20 red sashes, and 100 corpse wax.

Neither bounty should grant Virtue points due to being unable to distinguish players taking a loss by buying the items and then turning them in to effectively buy XP.

They should also add other daily bounty quests elsewhere in the game.

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.