1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Rewards Program Update (and Release 66 Rewards)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

[​IMG]

We have some exciting news about the rewards program! The items previously known as stretch goal items are now exclusive only to the rewards program (versus also available through $5 purchase on the website). These items will now also be delivered immediately upon login during the release each month. Note that logging in during a given month is required in order to claim that month's login rewards. To make this change happen we have to set the number of rewards to a fixed number of items per release (approximately 3) versus a variable number. This change will go into effect with Release 66.

For Release 66 the Rewards are Disco themed and Reward Program members will receive them during Release 66 immediately upon logging in!
    • Hustler Hat
    • Hustle Dance Emote
    • Colorful Mallard Duck Pet
    [​IMG]

Here is the updated wording for the Rewards Program:

The Shroud of the Avatar Rewards Program lets you earn the best rate on purchasing Gold Crowns, AND receive exclusive monthly reward items!

For the low price of $9 USD per month you will receive the following:

• 900 Gold Crowns of the Obsidians every month
    • Exclusive Monthly Reward Items (~ 3 per month)
    • Exclusive Title every 3 months
      • 3 Months: Keeper of the Faith
      • 6 Months: Keeper of the Word
      • 9 Months: Keeper of the Vow
      • 12 Months: Keeper of the Flame
      • 15 Months: Keeper of the Oath
      • 18 Months: Keeper of the Pledge
    • Pick any Dye 12 Pack every 6 months
    • Pick any three of the 7 Obsidian Potions every month, including:
      • Potion of Capacity: Increases carrying capacity
      • Potion of Conservation: Reduces reagent use chance
      • Potion of Expedience: Swift gathering on all gathering skills
      • Potion of Precision: Increases Meticulous Collection to all gathering skills
      • Potion of Preservation: Reduces armor and weapon damage
      • Potion of Reclamation: Increases Salvage and Repair to all production skills

2. Titania Xylia

Titania Xylia Avatar

Well, you've drastically reduced your income from stretch goals, right? We can't spend more on the store and push for the next level of rewards.

3. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

...Chris explained in his stream...

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Titania Xylia likes this.
  4. CICI

CICI Avatar

:) Cool! can we have lv 2 sub/ lv 3 and so on

5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I’ve been buying on alt accounts if the rewards are worth it, I would like to see higher steps in sub rewards and cool yearly rewards like what uo had. I’d pay 14.99 with a new package offer.

These titles that are currently offered are boring (the keeper of The Who cares) I’m hoping they start improving as more time passes doing the sub thing.

The three year reward in uo was fricken awesome and the only way to acquire said item.

6. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Tas will be starting on tiered subs as his next task.

7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    :rolleyes: Yep!

I'd rather see... or would like to additionally see titles for how long one lives have titles.
    I'm not much for the subscription titles, but I'd like to see more competitive options... like in more titles one could "choose from" that they have earned, through whatever, including through subscription titles.
    :D~TL~

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  8. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Do subscribers still get the monthly COTOs if they forget to login - or are those lost too?

9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

in theory, this is fine. in practice, my reaction was:

a: ...oh, another hat that will make me bald. (still bitter about the pirate headwrap being changed after i bought it, by the way)
    b: did they add an extra joint to those fingers? scarey!
    c: what happened to the disco ball mentioned in the livestream announcement?

fewer items means fewer chances to get something we actually like, so the bar is higher.

10. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Im confused, this feels like we are taking away from the subscribed people, are we penalising them for not logging in all the time too?

Astirian, amarious, arcdevil and 7 others like this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek: I do hope not :confused:!
    [​IMG]
    But log-in and subscription bonuses could be different... I'd be OK with that.

12. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Is once a month really that hard?

13. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Some of us pay on many accounts, we are choosing to add to the game that way, it may not seem much but the deal was heres some money we get some trinkets.. which we eventually login and get, sometimes life doesnt allow you to login all the time.

Mishikal, Spoon, StarLord and 2 others like this.
  14. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I’ll talk about this topic on my stream later today if you want a dialog on it.

15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

While I like login rewards, what you've just made here:

This reads like the former stretch goals are now the log in rewards. If that is so, it is more like a "Didn't log in punishment".

A punishment you are dishing out on people who are subscribed.

Imagine player X, a subscriber, is away for a month for some reason, family emergency maybe. Player logs in the next month, notices they didn't get the rewards. Gets angry. Questions why they are subscribing anyway, if they pay the money and don't get the goods. Questions whether they should be subscribing.

Customers questioning their subscription (probably a few doing that right now) is never a good thing.

This is literally incentivizing people to cancel their subscription if they are on a break.

Give a monkey two apples and take one away, and you have one angry monkey.

Subscribe to a magazine and don't read it that month, you still have the magazine.

I suggest considering this twice, three times. Is it really a good idea to not give a subscriber something they feel they should be getting?

16. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I have 7 accounts, 5 I actively play on... seriously not that hard.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  17. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

As a non-subscriber, that is really not interested in a monthly subscription, I'm very disappointed in this decision, as I only ever buy COTOs from the online store when I'm interested in specific monthly stretch goals, so buy forcing me to subscribe to get them you're just losing any monthly money from me in support of SOTA. But I'm guessing Port doesn't really care about losing the little money they get from me, because I'm not a subscriber / big spender anyway, but I'm still unhappy with this decision.

18. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

I suggest considering this twice, three times. Is it really a good idea to not give a subscriber something they feel they should be getting?[/QUOTE]
    THIS is an excellent point

Astirian, Mishikal, Gia2 and 7 others like this.
  19. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Other game companies do the same thing, it helps them a few ways. When we log in once a month, it's likely that we will say hi to friends or they will say hi to us. We will see any improvements to graphics etc. It helps them see likely active player numbers or at least give a metric to help understand their player base. People logging in once a month vs active players. There are many other benefits to Port for doing this.

Frankly it's not too hard to log in once a month for the vast majority of players, lets not imagine it to be a hardship for us, rather let us just deal with it and help out the game that we love so much.

Nawww, Beaumaris, Retlaw and 4 others like this.
  20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It is not a matter of hardness. From a business perspective, don't give your customers a reason to question their subscription.

It's a bad move. You're basically strong arming people to log in to get something they already paid for, rather than enticing people (everyone hopefully) to log in and get something nice.

Mojito + House was a great move.

"You don't get your rewards unless you log in", not a great move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.