Greagoir Pendragons Guide to GM Taming and other taming skills - updated Current Release

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Duke Gréagóir, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

Hey @Pawz and @Duke Gréagóir
    Have you been able to determine what the new targets are for summoning and beast combat training to maximize the hit points of the pets with the new tier 15 destroyers that are now available in r66?

2. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

So summoning at 126 is 100.3% raising it higher has no impact. Combat training has been changed, it now gives additional levels every 3-4 levels of the skill. on QA I took combat training to 168 and it kept making bear a bit stronger every 3-4 levels of the skill. From my testing I took combat training on live to 156 it gets very costly at higher levels but no longer seems to have a cap as it used to. So in short, you can take combat training into the 170s if you're insane and it will give a small boost to pets. :)

On a side note, when combat training says it has reached a new level, that level will not be reflected on the pet for another level or two. So it says it has reached pet level 39 at a level or 2 before 156 but pet's hp didn't go up until the skill hit 156.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  3. thesometimeslurker

thesometimeslurker Avatar

Has anyone located a lupine destroyer yet?

4. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

I'm not sure it's in the game yet. To my knowledge no one has found one.

Perashim likes this.
  5. thesometimeslurker

Has anyone checked the wolf encounters?

6. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Yes.

7. thesometimeslurker

Hmm, so basically, you guys have found everything except for the new lupine destroyers?

8. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Yeah.

9. thesometimeslurker

Hmm, I'm thinking it's high time I go back to taming. Sounds like more and more taming delights will be coming.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  10. thesometimeslurker

Picked up a young green dragon, wanted a blue one but I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth with these encounters. Plus it's just too cute.

11. Rykert

Rykert Avatar

Very nice guide! I tried to find answer in your guide. I hope you can help me with this ...

Question:

If I have Summoning 76 with +79 Tamed Creature Max Level. I should be able to summon Large Obsidian Bear (79)? or I will need to raise 3 more points to bring it up to Summoning 79? Because I cannot summon Large Obsidian Bear.

12. thesometimeslurker

Anyone find where the new lupine destroyer spawns in Grannus?

Jaesun likes this.
  13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Only the summoning at 79 is needed. The tame creature does not factor in. So you will have to gain three more levels in summoning.

14. Rykert

Rykert Avatar

Thank you so much for the answer!

So what is the purpose of "+79 Tamed Creature Max Level" message in summoning icon? I am trying to understand that...

~Rykert

15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

That factors in the calculations Portalarium included in the game, what that calculation is I have no idea. The max % is +125 Tamed Creature Max when you hit level 200.

Time Lord and Rykert like this.
  16. Jaath Windsong

Jaath Windsong Avatar

Pets have a level, just as you do (your Adventurer Level). Your "+xx Tame Creature Max Level" is the maximum level of pet that you can actually summon. Think of it as a 'gate' or cap to your summoned pets. Most of the internal formulas the game uses are fairly complex, but this one is refreshingly simple.

The first thing you need to know is that the 'maximum' Pet Level of a pet is the Summoning Level displayed on the necklace plus 21 (at least for pets between Level 30 and Level 100...there is a bit of weirdness outside that range...)

So, let us take a look at Three Little Bears; a Bear Patriarch, a Ferocious Brown Bear, and a Ferocious Bear Patriarch. These have, respectively, Summoning requirements of 44, 59, and 79; giving internal Pet Levels of 65, 80, and 100.

If you were to summon each of these bears in turn, you would get a Level 65 Bear Patriarch (because 65 is less than your personal 79 cap), a Level 79 Ferocious Brown Bear (because your Summoning skill of 76 'gated' your potentially Level 80 bear to Level 79), and a Level 79 Ferocious Bear Patriarch (a Level 100 bear again 'gated' to Level 79). You would get that exact same bear (gated to Level 79), even if you summoned an Obsidian Destroyer (a T15, max Level 150 pet). (Please note that the Level of the Obsidian Destroyer is supposition on my part based on the Taming Chance of other T15 pets...because, as Gréagóir mentioned, the maximum possible Level pet anyone could potentially ever summon is 125, as that is 200 Summoning...so no one has any real idea what an Obsidian Destroyer can do...because no one could possibly summon one.)

Since your Combat Training Bonus and the Blessing of the Tamer are applied after the Summoning 'gate', they still get added to your pet, no matter what your Summoning skill is.

You can prove all of this by summoning any two bears, spiders, stags, wolves, crocodiles, etc. that have Summoning requirements that are within 21 points of your "+xx Tame Creature Max Level" (as above). They will have the same number of Hit Points and the same Focus Cost.

Focus Cost can also be calculated, though the formula is quite a bit more complex. In your case (a max Level 79 bear), your Focus cost (with 0 Combat Training and no Blessing of the Tamer) would be between 241.6 at 0 Refresh and 120.8 at GM Refresh. The Combat Training Bonus and Blessing of the Tamer would cause these costs to increase.

I hope that was clear...Happy Taming! :D

17. Rykert

Rykert Avatar

Ahh Interesting! Thank you so much for explaining. Much appreciated!!

Off to Happy Taming!

~Rykert

18. Jaath Windsong

Jaath Windsong Avatar

Update to what I said above...

While everything I said still applies to all pets below T15, T15 appears to now be an exception to the rule. My Ferocious Red Spider, Black Arachnid, and my Ferocious Black Arachnid all had 1316 HP when I wrote the above (like 12 hours ago...) While the Red and Black still are stuck at 1316, my Ferocious Black now has 2196 HP...

There were also changes to Focus Costs last night, halfway through the evening. It would appear that Taming is very actively under review as we speak and any attempt to say anything is certain would probably be wrong within the day. ;)

Let us just hope things swing our way... :D

Rykert likes this.
  19. thesometimeslurker

Just finished up taming a bunch of lupine destroyers, though they are bugged to where their names are "Large Grey Wolf" in the taming necklace and when summoned.

Fortunately, the amount of health it has quickly proves that it is a Destroyer.

20. Portia

Portia Avatar

I have not read the whole thread so perhaps someone already pointed out that "Num Pad 7" does dismiss the pet.