Could a Twitch watcher please explain to Chris that 75% of of players dislike NPC Dialog box?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Jun 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The poll is over 100 players now, which makes it a very relevant and accurate representation of our small population.

7 people didn't care either way so I'm not counting them in that 75%.

Of the relevant players, 3/4 of them Dislike or Hate the dialog box.

This is important, as Chris has publicly said on the stream he's not aware that there is a problem. Seriously?

Then they are forced to yank scenes like Isle of Storms because they are dialog heavy. The next step is for them to throw away the Outskirts and just go straight to homesteading.

How about first fixing the box so it is readable? Functionality doesn't have to change, just make the thing readable and attractive to look at! This is not a MUD!

And not another half assed "move from the corner to the middle". Here we are in 2017 roundly panning that fail. Yet it exists in almost the same form today.

"No money", "no bandwidth" isn't a good excuse, because the dialog box has quite obviously been costing the game money. It gets slammed in reviews. Players quit part way through the tutorial at a large percent because no one wants to read tiny text on a post card.

It is a critical weakness and must be fixed. Hire a contractor from Upwork, spend the money, make reading pleasant, and stop bleeding players due to something that is disliked by 75% of its users.

3/4

of

us

don't like it!

Can someone pass this on to Chris please. One of you big bit guys who also likes the idea of there being a working story interface some day, keep harping on it during his stream please.

Stevvcash, Mishikal, smack and 18 others like this.
  2. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

100% agree.

It's things like this and poltergeist UI windows that are having a big negative effect on players' first impressions.

smack, Amelli and Cordelayne like this.
  3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Someone did. @Vladimir begemot .

Chris has said something like this :
    "I too am part of this 75%, but this is something that A. We've changed several time throughout the game, and every time it is a long process, and never really achieved much, and B. This is the one RG settled on and said "Do this", and when RG puts his stamp on something, it us hard to do something else."

So he is aware that it isn't the best thing around, and there is a part about not making a huge difference in if a new player sticks or not being whether they like the style or not, and dialogue box wont be the deciding factor, but that part isn't fresh in my mind. Yesterday's stream, post 1h (the stream was barely 2h long, or at least the part of the Vlog I was watching).

Jaesun likes this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes so many things get mentioned to improve things in the game and then focus gets lost before it happens. It can be frustrating to say the least. We should get @Sannio to read the thread since he is supposed to be in charge of questing. The journal and dialogue systems is of great importance to changing our system for the future good of the game and that thread really touches on great information and ideas for improvement. So if someone can link the thread here if not done since I'm on my phone ATM. Then hopefully attention is brought to it for great ideas for fixes to the quest UI and quest system.

Astirian likes this.
  5. oplek

oplek Avatar

Might be a good use of veto power. The CEO title was transferred to Chris, after all, even if only on paper.

Edit: I may not know how businesses work.

Amelli and Cordelayne like this.
  6. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

I am part of the 25% who likes it but I dont mind it being changed if it helps the game

7. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

That's because despite the work done to date, it still ain't quite right yet.

I have been dreading an answer like this. :(

smack, GivenUp, Amelli and 2 others like this.
  8. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

"Changed several times". Lol that one. They moved it from the bottom left corner to the middle and pulled a "we are excited to announce!" It was super lazy.

LB also said he would like the font to be bigger and supposedly put a jira in for it during a livestream.

Ah well, I give up. It looks like they don't give a damn about it until they have to use it repeatedly, until then it can be programmer UI. Witness Chris complaining about the mail UI, something we pointed out for ages. And the vendor UI will never get fixed unless he runs a vendor.

Crappy 5 year old programmer UI, with a couple programmer UI patches along the way...

Astirian, smack, GivenUp and 7 others like this.
  10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I believe the opening up the UI elements to modders will offer the best solution, and they know this. Some modders can make some of the best ui I have ever seen in some games.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    smack, Gia2, Cordelayne and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

The mind boggles. With a 21 million dollar MMO, they didn’t even get a designer or someone who understands about aesthetics to have a look at something this important.

The dialog boxes are bad but so too is the inventory screen with all the text jammed together. Actually I think almost all the UI is like this.

I’m not a designer but here are some words they might use : Kerning, Padding, Margins ...

It’s such a fundamental part of enjoying the game I honestly though this was going to be fixed when they tried to improve the UI last year. Instead what happened was the changed from the gold color to grey. The UI needs more work than just looking at the colors to make more usable.

Astirian, smack, Gorthyn and 6 others like this.
  12. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

This is a dead horse, tasty avatars.

smack, GivenUp, Elwyn and 1 other person like this.
  13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

But only 5% of all backers saw and took the poll... hardly enough to warrant a change.

14. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

Even less % of all backers watch the twitch streams, yet plenty more change seems to happen there right now, so why not here?

Xandra7, GivenUp, Cyin and 2 others like this.
  15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Vladamir Begemot
    I'd like to know specifically what changes you'd like to see.
    Post a pic of what you hate about the NPC dialog box, and another pic of an example of what would be better.

Elwyn and jiirc like this.
  16. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

Astirian, smack, Xandra7 and 4 others like this.
  17. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Interesting that LB directs that back to Chris. It’s almost like LB isn’t involved in design anymore, even though Chris went out of his way to state the dialog box was LB’s Design decision.

And the designers should be figuring out how to fix it, not us. We should be able to highlight problem areas and the professional game designers figure it out from there.

Who will lead the charge on this, Chris, LB, or no one? I know which one to bet on.

Amelli likes this.
  18. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

We are only making changes based on backers now? And only based on total number of backers (therefore, no changes should ever be made because only so few are left)? And not that the dialogue box might inhibit new players? Awesome.

Astirian, Amelli, Cyin and 2 others like this.
  19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

How about...

[​IMG]

Astirian, smack, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

If you bought a game your are a backer. Simple and easy. I could of used customer, avatar, purchaser, etc. all are the same in the context of who we are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.