RNG Multiplier

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Crendel, Jun 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crendel

Crendel Avatar

Not sure if this has been suggested, but to improve loot add a multiplier on the drop to the number of avatars in the group.

Facilitates grouping and I probably have killed 5 dragons a week with my guildies for a year and have two heads...so ya I'm a bit selfish to request.

FrostII likes this.
  2. belijaal

belijaal Avatar

Not a bad idea but what about the people who kill 200+ dragons a week? They would benefit from the increased drop rate as well. There are already too many heads on the market.

3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Also, someone could create alts, have them stand off to the side and then solo the dragon and that would multiply their loot by 7 times. I don't think something like that could be implemented without being easily exploited.

4. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I'm not at all sure about this idea, sorry. Solo'ing a dragon is hard and slow. If you succeed you may get a head and the chance of getting it is yours alone. Grouping a Dragon is relatively easy, depending on the` group, so you get a quick kill and can move on and kill more Dragons. More dragons, more heads, but more people so less chance per person per dragon. Seems fair to me..

Fenrus MacRath likes this.
  5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

This is easy to detect and avoid. If they do not make a meaningful contribution, then they shouldn't be considered "grouped". What exactly they decide "meaningful" entails can vary (does at least 1% of the target's health in damage or healing, remains active/non-AFK throughout the fight, and stays within a certain distance of the fight, etc).

6. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

The team isn't big enough to police the community if something like this were implemented.

If you killed a boss 100 times in a day and added in the alts on 10 - 20 of them I highly doubt they would catch it.

It's not worth creating a problem to the economy in my opinion.

You could also just throw in a dot from each alt and you wouldn't be breaking any rules, but you'd collect 8 times the loot.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  7. Browncoat Jayson

It wouldn't require policing, it would be code that would prevent the "bonus" from being generated until a certain situation is met. None of your notes would apply; regardless of how many alts were added, when they were added, or what percentage of the time the were added wouldn't matter, only if they actually contributed to possibly increase the number of drops. And if they needed to so a certain percentage of the bosses' health, based on the numbers in this game, a simple dot would not cut it (although even then, it would at least get them on the creature's agro list, so they wouldn't be "safe"; however, as I noted, being active throughout the battle would take care of those that "throw in a dot" and then sit and wait for loot).

Other MMOs have resolved all of these issues many times over the last 25 years. EQ had "trivial loot code" in place back in '98 (which has been replaced several times with additional layers, designed to get around issues that don't exist in this game). I realize it requires a bit of forethought and some diligent coding, but its not something that would require years of manhours out of this team.

Adam Crow and FrostII like this.
  8. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That sounds really easy to implement ;)

Edit: im not a programmer, but that sounds difficult to do. That being said, I don't want to argue with you, I have a ton of respect for you personally and your opinions. So if that's something we can legitimately do here in this game, with this team, I'm all for it!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  9. Browncoat Jayson

No, not easy. Just not something that would sideline other projects. In fact, if it was done as part of the refactoring of how loot is distributed, it could be a positive change for the game in general.

Adam Crow likes this.
  10. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

I think simply spawning more and tougher creatures in response to a group of more and tougher players nearby should be enough. This is how most other games do this. It's commonly called self-scaling difficulty.

Usually in wave battles, enemy hoard count is boosted based on player count and level for the easy enemies, and then the likeliness to roll the higher difficulty (and thus better loot) boss rounds. The maximum difficulty, type and and count would still be determined by certain spawner attributes. However, you just have a better chance of getting the tougher enemies and maximum number of enemies if you have tough people in your group. Utilizing a logarithmic algorithm this could be adjusted so that each level has a butter zone where you get reasonable difficulty to skill level ratio while still giving higher difficulty yet to higher skilled player groups all over Novia.

I can't repeat enough how much this should only affect parties in regions deemed boss battles, hoard battles or wave battles. In other words, common enemies and single player mode is not affected, nor are regions that are simple spawns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.