Tartarus?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mystarr, Jun 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Muhahahaha...!

No, you're not. :D You have a valid POV and I think the people who are raising concerns have a valid POV. Maybe they'll be more conservative about it next time just due to concerns.

But, I don't know; personally, the reason I'm a little resistant to the worries is because the same worries would basically mean there couldn't ever be a hidden but discoverable area in the game, because if something is hidden, that means some players would find it first, and if there are bugs, that means the players who find it first could exploit it first. And that's basically what happened, kind of.

And my feeling is probably what would have happened is if they postponed player access until they made the public entrance is that the bug would have still been there, and they would have still only found out about it after players exploited it.

Nietzsche and Cordelayne like this.
  2. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

how do you think bug hunting works? The people that teleported in didnt know the chest had low % higher chance to drop something. It was corrected. This happens every day in the game by bug hunters who do /bug and write a report. I don't see an issue or understand what the squabble is all about.

3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Except it's not ;)

Look, you know I love exploring and discovering hidden lore and such in the game. It's one of my most favorite things! This is completely different though since the exploit in question was derived from a unique situation; with the potential for tremendous material gain.

With all due respect my friend, this is pure speculation, with absolutely no way to substantiate since it is a hypothetical. While entirely plausible, yes, we will never actually know since things didn't transpire in this manner. :D

Regardless, I appreciate your insight, and willingness to discuss things in a courteous manner. For that I am always grateful :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Cordelayne

Well I agree anyway that there's a "protocol" issue the devs might want to follow or consider following.

Jaesun, Xandra7, arcdevil and 3 others like this.
  5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Well let's see, in my limited knowledge of game development, in an ideal world, it would start by Q/A testers on a Q/A server looking for and identifying any bugs, before the game is eventually implemented on a live game server. However, we know this doesn't happen and bugs are introduced on the live server all the time in Shroud.

The issue here is that this was a unique situation where those players who did take advantage of the exploit were able to keep those gains. I would have no problem, if when the bug was fixed that included the removal of said items from those players; but to my knowledge this was not the case. If it was, I stand corrected.

Let us not forget that in the past players were admonished and even banned for far less. Yet here, because it was a situation inadvertently introduced by a developer, allowing for the exploit to transpire, it's no big deal. It's one thing on Q/A, but on the live server...really? I care more that this is indicative of what seems to be a "laissez faire" attitude towards the development of the game nowadays, than the players actually keeping those items. I am baffled that people aren't more concerned by things like this, but maybe I'm crazy.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Cordelayne

I think if they want that kind of testing on QA, they're going to have to incentivize time spent on the QA server again. They used to give out COTOs based on time spent in QA and they changed that up a bit.

7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I totally agree and again in my limited knowledge, don't most games in development have specific Q/A testers as employees?

Time Lord, Dhanas, arcdevil and 3 others like this.
  8. moko

moko Avatar

This is exactly the problem. Maybe if I‘d be working a cozy desk job I‘d be able to listen to the streams, but as is the only way I‘d have to have time to watch the streams is cutting friends and family time after work. If the streams are now the preferred way to communicate news there needs to be a searchable text form of them. Maybe they could hire someone to do captions that could be just posted in a forum post after the Stream? Maybe technology is even advanced enough to do that automatically?

Dhanas, arcdevil, Cyin and 3 others like this.
  9. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

yep. showing off a developing area is nothing new, even for port. it was done pretty much every telethon, when we still had those.

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

12. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Not quit correct. Chris invited avatars during the stream with the words whoever wants to see the dungeon write me a message and I will teleporting you into the dungeon…I think he picked 5 to 8 and then he said that’s enough. They were running around, fighting one of the bosses and then Chris stream ended. I think the next day he recognized during the stream that some avatars he hadn’t invited the day before where in the dungeon but let them be as I guess he not thought that might hurt anyone.

@Topic
    I guess normally bugs do not generate items with a high value and that way it might be reasonable to just fix the bug and forget about it but if they really gained deeds and similar stuff this is something else. I do not mean to ban them or something alike but at least the unintended gained high value items should have been removed as everything else just says “if you find something probably unintended...use it...you can just win” and every future bug-user can refer to this kind of handling.
    Oh and it might be a good choice for the future to address this issue to such a scene by adding a message on entering the scene that the scene is still in development and all gained progress could be reset to remind avatars that they might not keep everything they gain in "live test areas".

Xandra7, Dhanas, arcdevil and 5 others like this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Oh buuuuhf*ckinghu.
    If this would be "normal" development none of you would even know that there is a dungeon in the making.
    Don't get me wrong, I am as well pissed that they don't do the stand ups anymore and that Chris is to lazy/busy writing down the stuff he is doing.
    But this sepific topic is totally blown out of proportion. By purpose I guess. Which is a wast of everybodys time because there are enough examples where this outrage wouldn't be missplaced Oo

Cordelayne and Bjorn Fellhand like this.
  14. Eina Stein

Eina Stein Avatar

While we are talking about stream only info, did Chris actually give an update on the book? I know its kind of on topic/off topic but any update from the stream viewers would be much appreciated.

Edit: Maybe a community member(twitch viewer) could do a bullet point daily to replace the stand up notes?

15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

You mean like @Arkah EMPstrike is doing it already ;-)?

16. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

And hence forth he shall be known as Sir Earl Atogrim von “Oh buuuuhf*ckinghu” Draken.

:D J/k

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I will carry it as my primary honorific from now on!

18. Promiscuity

Promiscuity Avatar

Really you think this is how it works on all games, players bug hunt in a live production environment?

Cyin, Cordelayne and arcdevil like this.
  19. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

I think that would be like loosing a hive of hornets in a pre-school. If it drops, it dropped. Unless the lucky recipients were gaming the system in an illegal way, taking their goods would be compounding the wrong and REALLY be bad PR. On a separate note, reading back my messages, I think I may have stirred the pot a bit. I have always been one to "Overturn Turtles", figuratively. I do regret that in this case, as it was not helpful to anyone. It inflamed an already sore group of players and at the end of the day, I did nothing to improve the state of the game. This , I think, is the point for all of us. No matter how much we disagree with choices/actions/ etc., I think all of us LOVE this game and want it to succeed. This is evident in the fact that we get as upset as we do. If we didn't care, we wouldn't care. Lets look at the positives here. @Chris is making us a new 10+ tier dungeon to explore and enjoy. The game is still moving forward. It has warts and smells a bit, but I still love it and really enjoy the communication on this forum.
    Lets increase the peace and all just think about how we would feel if the game were gone. That said, I'm going to go hug a tree and then have a long cleansing cry.

20. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

I am happy to have a serious discussion, if I misread your post then no worries. Your last line is "But this sepific topic is totally blown out of proportion. By purpose I guess. Which is a wast of everybodys time because there are enough examples where this outrage wouldn't be missplaced".

"Waste of everybodys time" is what caught me and the "by purpose I guess" - again, apologies if I misread, but it does bother me when someone makes a statement about how all of us should feel. If it doesn't matter to you, that's fine, but blanket everyone/all/nobody statements coupled with assuming a group of people are just trolling the issue are again what I read. Apologies if that was not your intent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.