I love this game so far

Discussion in 'New Player Experience Feedback' started by lexwporter, Jun 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lexwporter

lexwporter Avatar

Hi everyone. I've been playing just over two weeks now, daily, and have really enjoyed myself. I started off initially playing offline as I've never really got into multiplayer - I always preferred quests and long single-player epics. However, due to a bug I couldn't get past 50% in the loading screens, and when I was reading up on it it seemed like the online version might be worth a try.

So I landed in Solace Bridge Outskirts a total novice, and here I am two weeks later with homes set up, gear crafted, skills learned, and quests completed. I'll admit it is a little patchy in places with dialogue and quests, but I find it more interesting the interactions with other players. Most of the time you just see them flying past on a mission, but occasionally something really cool will happen.

As an example, I was hanging out in Soltown and a very flashy party of adventurers came by with a one-man band playing songs - we all did some dancing right there in the street. Another time i ran into someone in the Solace Bridge with an amazing outfit and got some help. I've had a lot of help, there are some very cool people in this game.

I joined a guild, went into some hardcore dungeons with some people, and set up a small shoppe after a stroke of good fortune let me claim a lot in a decent location. In all, its been fantastic and I look forward every day to playing some more.

I would like to see more players, but at the same time it is quite nice to have the freedom to roam the world without it feeling crowded.

As an Ultima player since my youth, I give a big thumbs up for Shroud of the Avatar - thanks very much!

My only advice would be to send a couple of more experienced players along to solace bridge occasionally to inform the newcomers that they can team up in parties, and give some tips. It can be quite cool out there watching people come online and fly off again to some other place, but it seemed like nobody really spoke to each other.

One last thing - I once went back there and found lots of those slightly-transparent skeletons (which I think are dead players before they resurrect?) littered all over the camp. It was like some serious PVP battle had happened. Just another amazing thing you come across in this game. I have a bunch of cool screenshots I might put up sometime.

Lex (Lexius Guillemot)

Grimace2, Hazard, Engel and 25 others like this.
  2. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Very happy you enjoyed your experience so far! The game is ever improving and has an awesome community. I use the same name in game if you ever need any help.

Engel and lexwporter like this.
  3. lexwporter

lexwporter Avatar

I appreciate the offer of help, I will keep an eye out for you. The torment guild deserves a shout-out from me for all their advice and assistance. One thing I have noticed that bugs me is when I try to move a dye into a container, it usually lands on an item that cannot be dyed, but the dye gets used up anyway. A trivial matter, but still bugs me. Otherwise, I plan to make a thread of all my screenshots from my fishing trip/truth virtue quest. There are some beautiful spots out there in Novia, and I am often the only one around. Again, I am torn between wishing there were more players and enjoying the freedom of being the only one around. I get the feeling the world is very large for the number of people in it, but that is surely better than an overcrowded world.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it's not just while they're a ghost, every outlander death leaves one of these markers for several hours. maybe a day, i think?

this is not usual behavior, you've just been unlucky. each item that is taking your dye without actually changing needs to be reported. if it's an easy dye to make, like red from apples, it's trivial, but since some of the fancier dyes cost real money, it has the potential to have a bigger effect.

a quick workaround is to search for something you don't have in the container you're moving them to first, which will show an empty window.

5. lexwporter

lexwporter Avatar

Here is my first gallery for SotA - fishing, Avatar Style! :)

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Welcome! Feel free to ask any questions. The community here is great and always happy to help.

Sean Silverfoot and lexwporter like this.
  7. lexwporter

lexwporter Avatar

I appreciate the offer of help, I will keep an eye out for you. The torment guild deserves a shout-out from me for all their advice and assistance. One thing I have noticed that bugs me is when I try to move a dye into a container, it usually lands on an item that cannot be dyed, but the dye gets used up anyway. A trivial matter, but still bugs me. Otherwise, I plan to make a thread of all my screenshots from my fishing trip/truth virtue quest. There are some beautiful spots out there in Novia, and I am often the only one around. Again, I am torn between wishing there were more players and enjoying the freedom of being the only one around. I get the feeling the world is very large for the number of people in it, but that is surely better than an overcrowded world.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  8. lexwporter

lexwporter Avatar

I just redid the reply post to sean silverfoot, in what I assume is the appropriate format - ie, quoting the message replied to.

9. lexwporter

lexwporter Avatar

I've already lost two yellow dyes which did cost me some gold, but not a vast amount. They just vanished from the inventory after the "this xyz cannot be dyed" message. I suppose I should ask what can be dyed? Is it only crafted items with cloth or leather type materials?

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  10. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Welcome! Sending you an in-game friend req. Hit me up if you need help :)

11. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Welcome - it is indeed a great game and gets better the deeper you go. Hit me up if you need any help or advice!

12. lexwporter

lexwporter Avatar

Thanks for all the friendly offers of help - much appreciated! :D

13. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

As far as I can remember it is right that you generally can expect to be able to dye items made out of cloth and leather and not just the crafted ones also the ones you can buy from NPCs or in the crown shop but even if that is generally true I would expect that there are still some not dyeable items. E.g. being able to dye decorations wasn’t a feature from the start and was more or less implemented with R57. That way the devs are still working to make more and more items dyeable and if something is currently not dyeable just wait some time or write a wishlist-post…I think I read somewhere that they are even working on dyeable houses.
    Oh and dyeable metal is still on the general wishlist but I do not know if or when this will be possible.

lexwporter likes this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'm glad the enjoyment is holding strong!

More is right around the corner. If you have time to do testing on QA, you can get some pretty high end prizes if you luck out.

See you in game when I'm done with vacay!

15. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Welcome to New Britannia Online :)

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome to the game @lexwporter. If i can help in game my in game name is Majoria. Send a whisper anytime. :)

Engel and lexwporter like this.
  17. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

An item's tooltip will say if it is dyeable or not. If it IS dyeable then you'll see a Primary and Secondary Dye entry. If it is NOT dyeable then there is no Primary and Secondary Dye entry. If a dyeable item has not been dyed it will say Primary Dye: None and Secondary Dye: none.

It's worth it to check. There are some odd things that can be dyed, like some swords. All of the Virtue rewards and many of the stretch goal rewards, although clothing, cannot be dyed.

lexwporter likes this.
  18. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

Welcome! Tell your friends! Its fun to group with people you know.

19. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

Nice gallery

20. lexwporter

lexwporter Avatar

I tell everyone who will listen about this game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.