Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

parry and weapon stats

Discussion in 'Combat, Skills, & Magic' started by Alley Oop, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

07/05/2019 00:41
    Title: parry and weapon stats
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? no
    Details: without hitting the parry skill, but using a weapon that has a parry range, holding one one-handed weapon shows zero parry mod in /stats. holding one two-handed weapon shows zero parry in stats. holding two weapons actually shows a bit of parry, but it's from my offhand defense. using the active parry skill WILL add parry modifier. this seems like /stats is not picking up the base parry from equipment. i can, however, easily see the difference in my dodge modifer from changing armor.

using my 2h sword with 10-31 parry (or any of my previous 2h swords) i can find no instances of my parrying anything in chat logs: searching for
    (attacks Alley Oop and hits, dealing)(points of damage past the parry\.)
    hits no matches since 2015-04-30.

Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4) System RAM: 24053
    GPU: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 4096
    SotA.Linux.64.1005.Date.07.03.19
    Area: The Rise
    Area Display Name: The Rise
    Loc: (8.8, 70.0, 119.7)
    Debug: VGhlIFJpc2V8fCg4Ljc5OSwgNzAuMDA1LCAxMTkuNzI2KXwoMCwgLTAuNzE3LCAwLCAtMC42OTcpfDg4LjQyMDc1fDI5LjM5NDA5fDE4

golruul, Jaesun and Sara Dreygon like this.
  2. golruul

golruul Avatar

Wow.

I always thought parry was rather ineffective, now I know why. Guess Parry will now be joining Fortify Defenses in the dustbin of defense options. Hopefully heavy armor glancing blow (still?) works.

EDIT: Or maybe the design is that you absolutely cannot parry unless you actually use the skill?

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

parry seems quite effective for some people

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  4. golruul

golruul Avatar

Hmm, guess I'll check it out again.

I remember when running a 2H sword and relying on dodge/avoidance, parry didn't seem to be doing much then (as in appear in chat box). I didn't actually use the parry skill though, as my combat bar was already filled with four locked defense glyphs (defense stance/dodge/avoidance/fortify defense). Another reason for not using the Parry skill was because I rarely saw it in the combat logs -- why enhance something that rarely/never appears?

5. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

You are missunderstanding how parry works. You get ZERO BASE PARRY. You ONLY get BASE parry when you lvl up offhand defense passive skill and have an offhand equipped. If you want to have a base more than 0 without an offhand and its passive, you need to actually use the skill "parry". The stats on weapons just tells you how much base damage can be parried, which is increased by your strength but not shown (i think? would be more logical for it to be dex but who knows...). There is no other way to get a BASE parry without offhand. Its meant to be like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.