Why are we here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drasvar Spiderglum, Jul 5, 2019.

?

Are you still playing this game because of UO notaslgia?

1. yes

21 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. no

117 vote(s)
    84.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drasvar Spiderglum

Drasvar Spiderglum Avatar

Simple question

2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

I came here, in part, due to my Ultima/UO nostalgia. But, it is not why I stayed.

3. Drasvar Spiderglum

Drasvar Spiderglum Avatar

Good answer shawn. I'm asking this because I never played any ultima games (played EQ2 and other MMOs, and D&D since before we had computers), and I'm wondering if this game is really attracting newer gamers, that may have not even heard of UO or RG.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  4. oplek

oplek Avatar

I never played UO myself.

5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I never even knew who RG was, I did play UO (I was my fathers "Woodcutting Bot"), and I remember playing one Ultima game on my fathers Gameboy. The reason I started playing was because my father bought me the Ancestors pack, so I felt like I HAD to play it, and honestly, the way I can shape my Avatar to the combat style I want, and the possibility to change him up whenever hooked me. I tried playing so many MMOs, but I always got annoyed by the fact that I was class limited, and that if I wanted to TRY something new, I had to grind a new character up to the same point my previous character was to simply be able to test it in the same environment, meanwhile with shroud, I just dump a bit of experience in a new skill and I can add it to my pre-existing character, without having to start over. That is what hooked me here.

6. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

I was never playing it because of UO nostalgia as I never played UO. I don't believe in monthly subscriptions. I backed SotA because it was supposedly going to be the spiritual successor to the old Ultima single player games Ultima I - Ultima VII, but I've since given up on it ever becoming even close structurally or otherwise to them, and I'm just playing it for what it is now (a mishmash of a grindy MMO and a not so great single player CRPG) that hopefully manages miraculously to become a great indie story / quest focused CRPG like Pillar of Eternity I and II, Divinity Original Sin I and II, and Wasteland 2 by EP5. In fact, the more Port fails to add EP2 new land mass and its new story and quests the less and less I play it.

7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I play because I like a lot of the basic principles of the game. I've also enjoyed seeing the game be built and its been neat to be able to give feedback during the process. I've made a lot of close friends here and I still enjoy logging on each and every day. Even after all these years there are so many things I haven't tried yet and goals I haven't accomplished that I don't see myself losing interest in this game any time soon. I'm looking forward to the future cause I feel like we've only scratched the surface so far.

8. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

I never seen this game as UO and to be honest it doesnt feel like UO too. It is its own "beast" but very fun to me. Sure it has a lot that can be improved but I love SotA and has a uniqueness on it

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Giant Ultima fan. Played all the single player Ultima games, many, many, times (Serpent Isle is my favorite game).

When this project was announced, I was a bit hesitant about it. I received a free copy, and just decided to play. And here I still am after over a year.

Am I still here because of UO nostalgia? No. I never liked UO.... :oops: I am still here because of the most incredibly helpful, kind and generous community I have ever seen in any game in my life. It’s utterly astounding to be completely honest. Oh and the game is fun too.

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

This. Nuff said.

11. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Ser o no estar, es la pregunta.

I am here because I loved early Ultima. My buddy asked me to back this game (he did) so I did.

I play because I have fun playing with a few others but cannot support the game forever unless they make it rewarding to do so. Pay to win is bad? Works for the NFL, MLB, NBA and World Cup. But what do these billion dollar teams know? To follow the money.

That is why CK does not play now. That and he stunk as a NFL QB. No on runs the option in the NFL for a reason friend. Not even Elway!

Drasvar Spiderglum and Gia2 like this.
  12. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I played and loved the Ultima series. When I heard of this appearing I signed up to UO, as I had no exposure to online gaming prior. About a year in UO gave me a taste; I enjoyed that, but I am loving SotA.

13. Womby

Womby Avatar

I never played UO, so that is not a factor. I appreciate the many opportunities that this game provides for player creativity. How many other games allow you to create your own dungeons and write and publish your own books, for example?

14. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I am here, because of Ultima,
    I am also here, because of so many parts remembering Ultima,
    but I am still here for different reasons ... today I would say: because of the diversity.

As told in other threads, I started with U III ...

As UO came the first time I played it for a while. All was new! Surrounded by so many people from all over the world, ...
    But I left because there was - my opinion - nothing to do for me. (Starter stories, etc. came in as I was just leaving).
    I was not interested in crafting, couldn't understand, how people like to go hours around to mine. I also had no interest in housing and decorations or running wild beating monsters in dungeons without any reason to do so ;)

It changed with SotA: Because of early playing, I tested what was available. Prices were far to high, so I tried to repair and craft stuff by myself.
    I assume, I would have never tried crafting, if I would start today with current loot and gold earning possibilities.

However:
    Now I like to craft my own armor and weapon and to augment my skills and items.

Housing was a thing which came up with Shogun style (Bundles). I really like that style (and of course the whole Perennial Coast).
    And as the bundles were announced to go, I thought: my last chance to get such a wonderful house to place all my trophies.
    I had a plan to build a kind of museum with story related stuff.

And may be, you know, I did it as Chris called out the Housing contest.
    The first Museum of Virtues is still located in Mount Midir, Chris' PO town, and after the contest I did and still do improvements from time to time.

There are different reasons I am here until today:
    1. I like to watch the development of the game. To see how things change - and (of course it never goes fast enough for us) how it gets better ...
    2. I like the story - what happened years ago - what remained and how we can dive into and find small peaces of a former world ...
    It's like visiting pyramids and to have the possibility to find old treasures and scrolls from the past ... what we can't in real life ;)
    3. I like people coming/playing together and talking ...
    4. I like it that I don't have to fear 'red font' people killing me from behind or killing newbies without any reason (well, if you don't count 'to kill' as a reason) ;)
    5. I like the enthusiasm of the team and especially of Chris to try everything to make this game something to remember
    6. I like to be a part of the process. Developer talking to us, listen and try to find a way (nobody is perfect: devs and players) to make this game better with each release ...

And yes, I am here waiting for Episode 2 lands and storyparts and intersting quests, revealing new interesting things.

Last but not least I am here, because I like the lore of the lands, the music, the NPC's you can meet, the (Obsidian) story line, the interesting skill system and given possibilities ... and -of course- those forum members sharing their thoughts :)

15. dayero

dayero Avatar

That is a really bad comparison. This is a game, all of those aren't. Pretty much all people involved there are involved for the money. Question: Would you consider it fun to hire a professional basketball player so you win all the time vs. your friends? Or to cover the pve aspect: would you consider it rewarding to "run" a marathon in ricksha seat?

Drasvar Spiderglum likes this.
  16. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Purely the Ultima/@Lord British connection and mainly the single-player ones so I didn't vote but I did have a blast with UO and Second Age.

Drasvar Spiderglum likes this.
  17. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I never played UO and there can be no nostalgia about the old Ultima series because even in the earliest releases absolutely nothing reminded me of Ultima in the slightest. For me, the game has stood on its own two feet.

18. Ataniiq

Ataniiq Avatar

Never played UO or any of the Ultima games.

I'm here because you can't find anything like this games' challenge, intrigue, depth and potential, in addition to the SotA community being unmatchable.

Looking forward most to the Quest/journal rework, and the crafting changes.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Simple answer, "it's fun".
    ~Time Lord~

20. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

never played UO when it came out... I have no UO attachment whatsoever... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.