Echoes from the Caverns - where to from here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Asclepius, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Most will now have heard the grim news about Avatar's Radio closing down, for an unspecified period, due to Amber's medical issues and need for surgery. While this is a sad day for the community I along with everyone else wish Amber all the best and a rapid recovery.

That leaves Echoes from the Caverns in a bit of a dilemma. As you may know, this podcast was started by Lord Baldrith in 2014, and since then we have presented an audio version of the weekly newscast for all who want it in that form. There have been special guests along the way, Lord Baldrith dropped out a while ago due to life demands, but it carries on. The broadcast has been presented on Avatar's Radio, for which I have been most grateful, and the podcasts themselves are stored on the Caverns site.

Now. without a radio audience, the question arises - do I continue the podcast? I think the most pressing question is - will there be an actual audience? I am always happy to serve the community, but talking to myself is not much fun, and some people think I'm crazy anyway:)

So to help me decide - if you find the podcast valuable and/or enjoyable, and you would be prepared to download and listen from the website, could you let me know? Just a simple yes, or thumbs-up would be fine - either here, Discord, or Asclepius@thecaverns.net.

If there is a significant positive response, then the weekly ramblings can continue. Otherwise thank you, it has been a pleasure to serve, and Echoes will head into a long vacation.

Thank you community!

2. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

I listen and enjoy it, and appreciate your many years of dedication and effort Aslepius!

PS. As a Merican, I find your Aussie accent simultaneously soothing and official.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Asclepius like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree Asclepius has a fantastic narrating and acting voice.

4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I would have followed the show since the start. Perhaps a monthly podcast which would keep your wonderful voice and the show around, while not becoming a, dare I say it, a "grind"

Best whatever you decide and Thank you!!

Sean Silverfoot

5. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

I am in. Thank you for continuing to do this.

6. Nick

Nick Avatar

Yes.

Out of curiosity, is it possible to have a device in-game that points us to a list of podcast available in caverns? So that we can double click on it to listen it?
    Or craft-able wax cylinders that plays to a link?

*edit* @Asclepius, why not put a poll?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  7. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Thank you all - I feel very warm and fuzzy:)

And good news with an update - Laz has very kindly offered to carry the podcast on WRFB!! So the adventure continues there for the forseeable future - same bat-time, different bat-channel.

This weekend I will be doing the "last" broadcast for AR, so a bit of a farewell effort, but just to make sure it all works WRFB will be carrying it as well. So for real punishment you could listen in stereo:D

@Nick - thanks for the thought - umm, what to do? In actual fact if you go to the Caverns site, on the right column is an index of everything we have done. A couple of hundred or more stories, and similar for newscasts. Don't kno whow an in-game link would work, but if there was support we could pester the devs for it I guess. After all they have little else to do.....;)

8. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

You better not go anywhere buster. LOL. And thanks Laz for keeping our Asclepius busy with his wonderful podcasts. I knew someone would step up and help out. Many well wishes and prayers to Amber for a speedy recovery and return to us.

9. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

Honestly, I listen to the podcast somewhat often. I also like to go back in time and check out the older podcasts.

I have a sneaking suspicion that many of our playerbase are totally unaware of this podcast. I think there are MANY who would be happy to support the podcast if they were just made aware of it.

@Chris @DarkStarr @Lord British

10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I love the podcast, and just realized that I have missed quite a few broadcasts because I haven't been actively playing SotA for a while. I will certainly go back and listen to the ones I missed.

I had missed the news about Amber and Avatar's Radio. I am so sorry she has these health issues and wish her a speedy recovery.

11. Ataniiq

Ataniiq Avatar

Been listening for years :)
    Glad to hear Laz is helping out!

12. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

I'm glad to hear you are continuing. I've been listening to and enjoying the podcasts/newscasts on and off for a few years, typically through the direct blog link (via email notification) but occasionally over at AR. I echo S. Silverfoot's sentiment about perhaps spreading it out to be less of a grind. Anyway, hat's off to you for continuing weekly for so long with solid content. I had put out weekly (and even daily) music podcast content several years ago over the interwebs/rss feeds, but gave it up to divert time to other avenues of my life as it did get quite a bit grindy at that rate.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  13. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Glad this project is going to continue, Asclepius. All your efforts and that great voice are a tremendous boon to the SotA world!

14. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I would love to log into the game, open up some UI that lets me play the latest podcast from various sources.

More player created audio in game/piped through the game can only be good! 10X so if the audio supports story and or lore.

15. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

As someone who has written some books in the game and have had them ready by you, I find you to be a very important person in the grand scheme of the game world. Please continue what you are doing, if able.

16. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

I love hearing you do the show, and the plays and etc

17. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

@Asclepius you know how I feel about your voice. Warm and fuzzy only scratches the surface. ;)

I am delighted that you will continue on WRFB! The information you present about SOTA and the WAY you present it is always wonderful.

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Got to PM Chris. Otherwise he won't see it ;-)

19. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@Asclepius ; I have never had the pleasure of listening to your podcasts and will make the time to do so. I know the effort you put into your work as I did with our group that participated in the “Black Sails” Saga.

How would you like to participate and narrate our next big battle? Nothing in the works yet but once @Chris gives us the “Groups of Parties” option we could entertain the continuation of the Saga or do something fresh for the audience.

R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever.

20. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

@Boris Mondragon - thanks for the offer, sounds exciting. My only issue is usually time - I'm 13 hours ahead of Shroud time, so often miss out on a lot of great community activities. Worth thinking about though:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.