Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[unplayable] Launcher crashes in Releaseupdate in Ubuntu 18.04

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Tralala, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tralala

Tralala Avatar

HI!

I really like to try this game out, but it seems uninstallable under Ubuntu Bionic:

I just downloaded the Linux version of the SotA-Launcher and installed it on my Ubuntu 18.04 PC.

The Launcher starts, a window appears and instantly an "Update the Patch Client"-run begins.
    "Downloading" OK
    "Unzipping" runs to 99%

Then the Launcher window closes and that was it. No error message.
    And yes: I started the launcher from the commandline, too - still no error message.
    The only output:
    Code:
    Set current directory to /usr/local/games/shroud-of-the-avatar-launcher
    Found path: /usr/local/games/shroud-of-the-avatar-launcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher.x86_64
    Mono path[0] = '/usr/local/games/shroud-of-the-avatar-launcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = '/usr/local/games/shroud-of-the-avatar-launcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono'
    Mono config path = '/usr/local/games/shroud-of-the-avatar-launcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono/etc'
    displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.5
    client has 4 screens
    displaymanager screen (0)(HDMI-0): 1920 x 1080
    displaymanager screen (1)(DVI-D-0): 1024 x 1280
    Using libudev for joystick management
    Importing game controller configs

(All the output above is from before the Launcher window opens. Afterwards there is nothing more.)

Oh - in the Launcher directory there is a file <patcherversion.txt>, with a "95" in it. But on the release page the current release number is 67, and the current build number is 1008.The version that gets downloaded is 147.
    I tried to trick it to just let the update be for now and launch anyways by editing this file and put a 67, a 147, or a 1008 in, but that didn't change anything - still the update gets triggert and after unzipping the Launcher just closes/crashes.

Has anyone had similar problems? And may be a solution or at least some idea on how to deduce the source of the problem any further?? For instance some debug flags one can set to get a qualified crash error message with a reason for failing?

[UPDATE]
    Actually, I just searched for other files created during the update time, and found the downloaded zip file in ~/.SotA.Game.TMP/Downloads/ . There indeed is the file <StandaloneLinuxUniversalPatcher_0_147.zip>.

But copying everything from the zip over the original Launcher directory just yields another crash. This time the launcher window just pops up shortly and then closes.

At least there are some errors being thrown:
    Code:
    Set current directory to /usr/local/games/shroud-of-the-avatar-launcher
    Found path: /usr/local/games/shroud-of-the-avatar-launcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher.x86_64
    Mono path[0] = '/usr/local/games/shroud-of-the-avatar-launcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Managed'
    Mono path[1] = '/usr/local/games/shroud-of-the-avatar-launcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono'
    Mono config path = '/usr/local/games/shroud-of-the-avatar-launcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Mono/etc'
    Preloaded 'ScreenSelector.so'
    Unable to preload the following plugins:
       ScreenSelector.so
    Player data archive not found at `/usr/local/games/shroud-of-the-avatar-launcher/Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystem

The <ScreenSelector.so> exists in Shroud of the Avatar - Launcher_Data/Plugins/x86_64/, but the <data.unity3d> definately is missing. Don't know if it should have been in the zip, but it's not. And it was also not in the data originally installed after installing the Launcher.

[UPDATE #2]

If it's of any importance, here my system stats:
    CPU: AMD FX 4300 Quadcore @3,8 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (via NVIDIA binary driver ver. 390.87)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Jaesun and Alley Oop like this.
  2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

oh good, you can post here!

search also for a file named "sota_log.txt"

3. Tralala

Tralala Avatar

Unfortunately there is no such file. :-/

4. Tralala

Tralala Avatar

[UPDATE #3]

Today I tried the install on an OSX at a friends mac. (No problem there, launcher installs some stuff, then the game runs).

Although I saw, that the Launcher download process actually pulled not only the <StandaloneLinuxUniversalPatcher_0_147.zip> file, but also a much larger one of (if I remember correctly) around 35GB (probably the "main game").
    This definately did not happen during my Ubuntu run.

So I guess, the intended process should be:
    1. download Installer from website and install it
    2. installing Installer yields the Launcher
    3. run Launcher
    4. Launcher pulls "universal patcher"
    5. "universal patcher" pulls "main game" (or Launcher does this as well)
    6. start playing
    My install breaks somewhere between late in step 4. and early step 5. in this process.

5. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

what anti virus program are you using? some dont like the fact the patcher is a p2p

6. Tralala

Tralala Avatar

I scanned the files with clamTK. It saw no problem in them.

And like I said - the first file, the PatcherUpdater, got loaded via p2p just fine...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  7. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

true but the fact its then trying to lay down files produced is sometimes a problem. It maybe worth trying to turn off the av to see if its doing it- Ive not used claimTK but it is problem Ive seen with some AVs.

8. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Most of the normal Linux users do not have clam antivus with scan on access file functionality enabled. This has nothing to do with the AV.
    I have had this issue once when I fully removed SotA and tried to cleanly install it through the official launcher.
    I just do not remember how I fixed it.

@Tralala did you install the .deb or are u using the .tgz?
    I guess the .deb as I see the /usr/local/games path in your posts, it could be something with permissions. Not sure tho.
    I recommend downloading: https://d2sx9mrt4zumaq.cloudfront.net/Launchers/latestPatcherLinux.tar.gz
    Extract it somewhere and use that launcher.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Jaesun, Nick and Alley Oop like this.
  9. Tralala

Tralala Avatar

@liz_the_wiz:
    Yes, on Linux I just scan for viruses on demand and scheduled.
    Not permanently. This is a windows thingy...

@Feeyo:

Yes, I only had the .deb from the website. Didn't know about other ways to get the file.
    But - just tried out your way and the Launcher breaks at exactly the same point.

Is there maybe a link to the main game file, the larger one the Launcher (or Patcher) tries to download?

Maybe if I can install it manually...

10. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Could you try starting the launcher from the command line?
    That at least is a bit more verbose on why it crashes.

else: Do you have steam? You can play SotA also through steam. That will probably fix the launcher issue as Steam uses its own patching methods.

11. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

The 8gb of ram you got make me think youll never be able to run the game properly under linux.

Feeyo likes this.
  12. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Having been a linux user 30 years and working with it, I cant begin to point out how insecure that would be.. Given even if you ran a scan every night a virus would be in and active before you scanned, while there are considerably less for linux, they are out there.

13. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Well normally a user that gets infected will not harm the main OS as much as the virus would have to exploit also the root user to do harm. But yes I agree that on access scanning should always be enabled with clamAV. This is a bit more work as its enabling support for it in the kernel and enabling it in the config. I for one always enable on access scanning.

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  14. Tralala

Tralala Avatar

Discussing anti-vir usage patterns is a nice topic for another forum.
    Lets not wander from the subject at hand.

Jaesun and Alley Oop like this.
  15. Tralala

Tralala Avatar

Got another look at the downloading-/installation-process.
    So - due to lacking disk space of my root partition, I symlinked some directories out to another hard drive. This I did also for the ~/.SotA.GameTMP folder, where the launcher downloads the zipfiles into.
    (Thought, diskspace might be a problem)

So two questions arose:
    1.) Is there may be another directory that gets checked for sufficient free space by the launcher? (And there is just no feedback "not enough disk space in directory /XYZ")
    If so, then which one(s)?

2.) Does the launcher has problems with spaces and/or special chars in directory names? (Although in the above posted output all paths are enclosed in quotation marks)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.