Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] The quest turn in bug is killing the game because it drives away new players

Discussion in 'Quests, Conversations, & NPC's' started by Vladamir Begemot, Jul 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

https://steamcommunity.com/app/326160/discussions/0/1640916564840519305/

How many never report it? I would wager almost all of them. I've been in the Outskirts talking with players and they can't turn in quests. I tell them to relog and it fixes it. My brother had the same problem. It appears on Steam fairly regularly.

Prioritize this!

Edit: from my last comment, here's another Steam player having the same issue:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/326160/discussions/0/1640916564842860617/

Edit:

ANother

https://steamcommunity.com/app/3261...2860617/?tscn=1563321833#c1642043096898509825

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Agreed. I've seen the same thing on a number of first play twitch streams. It's not a pleasant feeling to tell them to relog and then watch them have to do it repeatedly.

Changing wear people start and removing the oracle from the process isn't going to help anything if anyone cannot progress without relogging.

3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah I keep hearing this happening to people from time to time. I’ve been trying to find a way to replicate it, but have never been able too.

It is becoming a very big problem....

OzzyOsbourne likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

wonder if it would still happen if the outskirts weren't forced multi...

5. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

I'm starting to think it's the npc conversations in general. there will be times when an npc will stop responding mid-conversation for no apparent reason. The Oracle stops responding to my answer to the tests, etc.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

How long has this existed? Couple years now? How many new players have bailed from it? How is it not the most important bug to fix?

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'll take a guess at my own question. Unless someone is experiencing it in single player, then it is a networking issue. Something small gets dropped and the NPC and quest system can't recover. The devs can't replicate it because they don't have network issues, they are practically sitting on the server.

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

10. spainchaud

spainchaud Avatar

I am running my third character through Solace Bridge Outskirts and most of the quests are broken.

Ore quest - Sedgewick would not accept ore, logged out for the night and he took it the next day
    feathers - Sedgewick wont accept them, maybe he will tomorrow
    cotton - farmer wont accept
    wolf head - he claims I killed the wolf, but won't take the head
    Bloody Bones - talk to kids, can't get it started.
    Medicine - talked to Marden and Captain, can't get it started.

Understand that I have finished these quests on 2 characters already, so if I am having problems then new people will be very confused.

EDIT
    I just switched to my main character for a few minute, when I came back the farmer accepted the wolf head and cotton. I am off to see Sedgewick

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

12. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

I added this thread to issue #64975

Jaesun likes this.
  13. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

The trouble fixing this kind of issue is that we only have people's reactions ("this didn't work") and the troubleshooting method ("I relogged and it worked fine"), but what we REALLY need is a solid reproduction case where we can do exactly the same thing as players and have this happen to us every time, or so consistently that it becomes obvious behind the scenes what's happening. Right now, we can't be sure what it is (connection issue? UI issue? computer specs? something else?). So if anyone has any idea for how to force this problem to happen, that would be awesome!

Jaesun likes this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The only clue I can give is that my brother has mediocre satellite internet, so high latency is a fact of life for him.

I'll ask in steam, see if they will post specs there (they probably don't have permission here) and what their internet is like.

15. wizardsmoke

wizardsmoke Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I found steps to reproduce this issue. I am working on a fix now.

Here are the steps to reproduce, using the wood gathering task from Sergeant Sedgewick:

1. Say "help" to Sedgewick. You get the wood gathering task.
    2. Say "hello" or "wood" to Sedgewick. The window opens.
    3. Say "hello" or "wood" to Sedgewick. The window is still open.
    4. Close the window.
    5. Say "hello" or "wood" to Sedgewick. The window does not open (this is the bug).

It is likely that these steps work for any task that requires an item to be given to an NPC.

16. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

I really really hope this helps you narrow it down. Except... it doesn't happen only when you've previously opened a window or when you've spoken while the window was open.

I suspect Shawn and Vladamir are onto something re: NPC network issues. No evidence here, just a gut feeling (which I know is almost useless for your purposes), but to me it really feels like it's connected to the two other unresolved issues where (a) an NPC just walks off in the middle of your conversation -- chat log shows a "goodbye" that you never clicked, and (b) an NPC suddenly stops responding to keywords and you can only continue the conversation by escaping out of it (since they don't respond to goodbye) and then opening it up again.

17. wizardsmoke

wizardsmoke Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This issue has been fixed internally for an upcoming patch this week. Please let us know if the issue persists after the patch.

Thanks for all of your testing and reporting! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.