Suggestion to increase adv. area usage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aldo, Jul 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I have a suggestion that will drastically increase activity across all areas of the lands. It is simply to increase node loot tables by one resource every day they are not accessed. For example, an ore node would always give one ore on a successful mining attempt. But if that node has not been accessed in a day, then the successful attempt will yield 2 ore. The increase in yield by days of sitting idle would continue until that node is mined. This could result in one successful swing yielding a lot of ore. All nodes, wood, garlic, ore, oysters and etc would be included. Great fun exploring and adds a sense of anticipation during your travels. The increase in node yield is not player specific, but game specific. That is a node would only give one increase yield a day to the first person accessing it. Finding the out of the way or overlooked nodes would be like a daily treasure hunt.
    @DarkStarr Seeing interest, edited to tag.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    K1000, Crendel, Vodalian and 20 others like this.
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Great idea!

K1000, Aldo and FrostII like this.
  3. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I fear at least currently the game is not working that way. As far as I know if no one is in a scene the scene basically do not exists. E.g. if no one is in Brittany there is also no active scene of Brittany and just if someone is entering Brittany the scene is created.
    There is also the possibility of simultaneously active scenes of the same type for example there could be 10 Tartarus scenes active in parallel.
    I think also the position of nodes are random and not predefined. E.g. there could be 100 node spots and on creating the scene there are randomly used 50 of these spots to create a node while the remaining 50 stay empty.
    This way tracking the usage of single nodes sounds…difficult and might need some heavy rework of the current mechanics.

I guess a more usable solution in the current system could be to count the general harvesting within a scene and adjust the yield for the whole scene but I do no know if that would be a good change as this might result in a swarm of harvesters who are just hopping from scene to scene and not the treasure hunt feature you would like to create.

Aldo likes this.
  4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

The concept is sound and reasonable....
    Whether or not Chris could do it justice is another matter unto itself.......

Aldo likes this.
  5. dayero

dayero Avatar

A scene doesnt need to exist for this to work. You just need a persistent data structure relating to that scene. When the scene is created again you just check all nodes and add the approriate amount of ore to all nodes.

There are a few possible parameters to this idea, like only increase ore on active, mineable nodes, have different increase rates depending on scene difficulty or have it somewhat RNG-ish. For example, instead of just adding ore, you have a loot table for ore nodes like you have now for scene difficulty, except you add a few columns for increased "richness" of the ore vein. For example instead of getting a tier 4 loot chance from a tier 4 scene node, after 3 days you get a tier 7 loot chance. or, if you don't want to increase the probability for rare loot too much, you get 1 tier 4 loot + 1 tier 5 loot. so a mixture of increasing loot rarity and loot quantity.

I think the idea holds a loot of merit and isn't too difficult to realize. well, in theory that is. You have to be a bit careful to not make it exploitable though. For example, if it makes low level scene loot too good, new players would have to compete with players that can just blast every mob in the scene in a nanosecond and have every gathering buff applied, cleaning out the scenes every night right after the ore increase tick happens. So imho the increase should be relatively modest and scale with scene difficulty, so that higher level players are encouraged to stick to tier 5+ scenes.

6. oplek

oplek Avatar

I was thinking about a similar concept, except for the adventure side of things. If a zone hadn't been visited/done in awhile, it'd start to get "rowdy", with higher level creatures and better rewards.

Jaesun, Ziege2 and Aldo like this.
  7. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Good Idea but to implement it we need to kick off the private mode from this game. And I can say to you its great idea too, but private mode has HUGE lobby in this game. So it will be hard to do. Both things are great for the game, but sadly private lobby would not allow it. :(

Vodalian, Aldo and Dhanas like this.
  8. dayero

dayero Avatar

how so?

FrostII and Aldo like this.
  9. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Instead of having to keep track of every node, perhaps just keep track of it by scene / account. The extra nodes would be populated the first time you enter the scene and would not repopulate until after a set time limit whether it is 8 hours or 24 or whatever. There would be less to keep track of in the background although, you would have to go into every scene and add the extra nodes. This would also mean each account would get a chance to harvest the extra nodes and low level avatars wouldn't have to worry about a swarm of high level avatars coming in and stripping everything out.

Aldo likes this.
  10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I don't understand how private mode would make a difference. The nodes would increase in yield until someone harvests them. It makes no difference if that person is in private or multiplayer mode. I think everyone would have an equal chance across the board to compete. There may be an advantage by time zone, which could be addressed by a rolling "day" (perhaps a 23 hour day).

FrostII likes this.
  11. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Too much synchronization between zones will be need. Two guys in 2 different private zone will begin to harvest who will gain increased ammount and who will get normal ? Its just to complicated for devs imho.

12. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Too much synchronization between zones will be need. Two guys in 2 different private zone will begin to harvest who will gain increased ammount and who will get normal ? Its just to complicated for devs imho.

13. dayero

dayero Avatar

actually, it's pretty easy. you just deactivate the whole system for private scene instances. So the ore yield will remain static there.

Vodalian likes this.
  14. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Actually I can see for few last releases, that MOST easiest choices are implemented by the devs it is just a fact. So I understand that they unable to do it. But you can believe.

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

This idea seems like the simplest to implement, with how scene instances are created. Just keep track of the last time a scene was created, or average over the past 10 or so creations, and that could apply a modifier when creating an instance. Synchronization should not be needed, though perhaps having it only recompute once per hour would be better than averaging. Perhaps it could be quantized to simply add to the tier of the scene, maybe +1 to +3. Perhaps it could just have a random chance like 10% every hour to raise the tier of the scene. When creating the scene, put the tier +# in the name, which could also keep you from entering an existing scene of a different tier. Some kind of overworld indicator (like variable flames) could show if it is in effect.

From what I know about how scenes and instances work, this could work:
    - once per hour, a small chance (maybe 10%) to make the scene stronger up to a limit (like +3)
    - the scene name includes the +tier to help keep them distinct
    - also you would see the scene name at the top of the screen display like "Upper Fortus +1"
    - if the +tier scene gets an instance created, it would reset to +0 on the next hour
    -- if this makes it too easy to reset scenes, perhaps add extra conditions like time or activity in the scene, or a 50% chance to reduce the tier by 1 on the next hour instead
    - when the tier is increased, flames would show on the overworld as well as the +tier in its info
    - +tier scenes are distinct from each other, so you always go into a scene of the displayed tier

Data-wise it just needs to keep track of the current +tier for each scene, and whether an instance was created in the past hour.

It could potentially be abused, but mostly in the direction of making scenes "easier", which would only tend toward the normal difficulty that we have now. Abuse would be in the form of trolling by going around and entering scenes to reset them, which should be of little benefit for those doing said trolling. This could also happen as a result of someone simply exploring a lot of scenes. Basically, it relies upon player cooperation (or simply being out of the way where nobody goes) to raise the tier of scenes.
    And that would also work to reduce said trolling, if single player mode (when re-instated) avoided the system entirely. Just add:
    - in single player mode, the entire system is disabled, no flames, no +tier, no tier resets

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  16. Curt

Curt Avatar

For each tier N scene have some way to measure activity, and then compare the relative activity.
    A tier 1 scene than is less than half the average activity of tier 1 scene => give it some boon.

17. Curt

Curt Avatar

We could also have so some quests was activated if certain content is less active.

Let say way more elf's than undead is killed at tier 3. Generate a quest sending you to deal with an undead event (they has grown stronger due to neglect)

18. marthos

marthos Avatar

This is a great idea! There are a ton of zones out there that aren't "optimal" for various reasons, so a system like this can do a lot to encourage players to play those zones. There are a lot of good ideas above on how to do the calculations to determine which zones need attention so I won't bother with my thoughts. Extending the system to include higher tier creatures might be tricky (I like it though) but it should be fairly simple to create an XP modifer or increase loot drops to encourage activity in these zones. From the RP perspective, local NPCs can give updated clues to the players on which zones will have this increased node/loot/xp buff. Perhaps a guard says "I've heard the elves in Cragged Foothills are mobilizing for an attack" or a bartender says "Travelers are saying that the Kings Road is more dangerous than usual"

The best part of this idea is that it creates, to an extent, a living breathing world. Rather than log in and farm the usual spots, it would be better (from an xp/loot perspective) to spend a few minutes talking to NPCs to determine where the best hunting spots are at today. This basic system can get further developed in a lot of ways - to have dynamically generated quests for those areas or have specific artifacts only drop in those scenes. Clues could only be revealed by first tipping a bartender really well or bribing a guard for sensitive info (gold sinks are good). So many possibilities...

Jaesun, Aldo and Vaiden Luro like this.
  19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

ANYTHING that encourages us to actually explore, instead of visiting the same places over and over and over is always a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.