Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Night is too dark

Discussion in 'Release 2 Feedback' started by deadq, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

yeah I also noticed that nite was too bright and felt that torches were not needed

2. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

I agree that night should be much, much darker.
    Personally I also prefer caves to be very dark unless you have a light source

NRaas likes this.
  3. Echowolf

Echowolf Avatar

Go play Rust and you will appreciate how well you can see in the dark in Sota.

I think the darkness is balanced well.

4. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

As others have said here I thought it was actually too light. It doesn't need to be original EQ dark, but make the use of a torch actually be useful rather than just an accessory. And as a sidenote the glow distance of the torch needs to be further out than it is currently.
    Cheers!

Miracle Dragon and Umbrae like this.
  5. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I used to play NWN on servers that provided no ambient light. So when it was dark your screen was black. It was nice playing in a world where carrying a torch was a life saving event. Of course torches were also blunt weapons will slight fire damage.

More darkness please. :)

6. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Well I'm just jealous you guys get to make it until the night! Mine crashes so much I never make it to nighttime :(

I tried letting it just sit to see what it would look like (since all my crashes seem to happen when I'm walking around, usually going between town sections), but then it timed out and booted me.

I pretty much always crash when I come from the main part of town back across the "greeting bridge" to the starting point.. usually takes 3 reloads to get out of town. And I never did make it successfully to the 2nd town, instant crash going through portal...*sigh* then that character is lost because it restarts me in the portal and crashes again..

So if you guys want to post a screenshot of nighttime, maybe then I can judge on its darkness level, lol.

7. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

That is definitely unfortunate. From my perspective the client was extremely stable, never encountered a crash at all.

Makes me understand why many envy console development, with their standardized hardware.

Hopefully you will fare better in R3. I also hope you have reported your crash issues in the bug forum. :)

8. mmoredfalcon

mmoredfalcon Avatar

Personally I think the nights are perfect. There should be a good difference between the two. You can still see well enouph to travel around.

Mishri and Miracle Dragon like this.
  9. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Yea, the crash reports are supposed be auto submitting, so hopefully they got them - they should have about 50 from me. Although it wasnt creating the crash report log dir's like it did previously so who knows. I'm not too worried about until r4.

10. Kraz123

Kraz123 Avatar

It seemed to me (I could be wrong) that at first the night is very dark, before the moon has had a chance to rise fully. Then it lightens up enough to see. Plus you have torches, which make things in the immediate vicinity quite discernible. I for one think it's great. An adventurer should be prepared with the necessary equipment or suffer the consequences...

11. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

There definitely can be "overkill", just go play DayZ on a server that's at night when it's cloudy or rainy with no moon in the sky and without turning your gamma and brightness up. Pitch. Black. Even worse than original EQ was. Definitely don't want that.

12. Knosu

Knosu Avatar

I tried using a torch but it made it a LITTLE lighter

13. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

MAye yoou will need a lot of torchs to make a light road, Minecraft style. :p

14. smack

smack Avatar

Hopefully in one of the upcoming Releases, we'll get gamma controls. Maybe R5 if we're lucky?

NRaas likes this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I know we're not supposed to debate topics in here, but seriously night and darkness in general were far too uneventful for me in R1 and R2. I know the lighting is still being worked on. But I would hope that night requires a torch to see, and general darkness requires some form of light to see well. Players should not be able to "adjust" the degree of difficulty with their settings. That is all.

smack and Mordecai like this.
  16. smack

smack Avatar

I think some folks will end up adjusting their monitor brightness / contrast levels and that's not an ideal situation as that messes with everything. With in game controls they can control some amount of lighting properly without causing washed out screens entirely. The game will render correctly and not affect the UI and definitely not affect their entire system. I was reminded of this while play testing ESO all weekend and was wondering why the interiors of buildings were too bright and washed out until I realized my gamma settings were too high. Now the taverns in the game look appropriately lit with deep shadows and look so much better. SotA definitely needs this.

17. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I never found a torch to carry.
    Did I miss that?

18. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, there were torches in some of the chests.

19. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I'll look for them the next time I get in.
    And I can see us all turning on/off the lights on the streets.

smack likes this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

I actually did that in Owl's Head, expecting the guards to either yell at me or turn them back on. I'm hoping the NPC AI takes that into account and builds that into their "schedule".

Siriustar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.