Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known] desert wolf encounter resets

Discussion in 'Quests, Conversations, & NPC's' started by Alley Oop, Aug 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

08/03/2019 01:10
    Title: desert wolf encounter resets
    Reproduction Rate: 1/?
    Blocker? no
    Details: killed all the wolves, talked to the bounty hunter, was slowly running around gathering the resources when i got a new wolf spawn.
    Steps to Reproduce:
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4) System RAM: 24053
    GPU: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 4096
    SotA.Linux.64.1025.Date.08.02.19
    Area: RandomEncounter_Desert01/Wolf
    Area Display Name: Desert Encounter
    Loc: (116.8, 135.5, 122.1)
    Debug: UmFuZG9tRW5jb3VudGVyX0Rlc2VydDAxfFdvbGZ8KDExNi43OTMsIDEzNS41MjksIDEyMi4wODgpfCgwLCAxLCAwLCAwLjAwNil8LTEyNi4xOTk0fDIwLjY4NTEyfDE4

Jaesun likes this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Per R65:

• Wave Battle Improvements: Some wave battles may now have one or more waves that repeat for a specific time. If one of these timed waves is defeated too early, it will repeat until the time requirement is satisfied. Also, the timing of wave battle activities should be better synchronized for all players involved.
    I assume this falls into this category? I know it does happen from time to time on the Naughty Brats encounter. The wave ends. Then after a while, another wave *can* happen.

3. Alley Oop

that did apply to this encounter, in that after i killed the first round of low level wolves, a few more of them spawned until i reached the timer for the next wave to spawn, but i don't believe encounters are supposed to reset after the last wave is complete (npc shows up).

4. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Was it another wave of the high level wolves? Or was it spawning the low level ones, and then the higher level wave started?

5. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

@Alley Oop , I have a question for you.

First, some behind-the-scenes info: Every random encounter with enemies has two "layers." There's the incidental enemies who are scattered across the scene. They aren't affected by the wave battle, don't despawn when the wave battle finishes, and don't respawn after you defeat them. And then there's the wave battle which starts with a "first wave" of a few enemies intermingled with the incidental enemies. When you kill the first wave, then the "high threat" wave attacks. Sometimes after the "high threat" wave finishes, an NPC appears to give you a quest.

Since you mentioned the bounty hunter appearing, that indicates the wave battle successfully concluded. This makes me think the "extra" wolf was an incidental enemy. So, here's my question: How possible is it that the extra wolf was actually an incidental enemy that you missed killing, and isn't one that respawned?

Jaesun likes this.
  6. Alley Oop

it wasn't one extra wolf. ALL the starter level wolves came back.

7. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Ah, I misunderstood. Thanks for the extra info! I'll add it to issue #65469.

Jaesun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.