Capturing SotA gameplay. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Screenshot & Video Galleries' started by Fei Akhart, Aug 18, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

I have been trying to find tools to capture SOTA's gameplay to create videos (not streaming) and would like to know if anyone has suggestions.

I am currently trying to use OBS (https://obsproject.com/), but I don't know if it would be the best choice.

Thanks! =)

2. Lained

Lained Avatar

I use Fraps to capture game play, it outputs an AVI and I use HandBrake to convert to MP4 before uploading to YouTube. I've not really tried others as this setup suits my purpose.

ngavarta and Fei Akhart like this.
  3. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

About same as lained, I use this freeware for recording video to mp4 https://srecorder.soft112.com/
    Then use https://www.openshot.org/en/ to cut/edit the movie like i want and turn to format for youtube, there alot of format available in that tool, i really like it. You can make turn any video to flickr, youtube, hd or not you choose the resolution and all, can add fading to intro or outro, cut sound or video exactly where you want etc.

FrostII and Fei Akhart like this.
  4. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

Thank you, guys! I'm testing the tools! ;)

5. Shift

Shift Avatar

if you are using a nvidia Graphics card you can just use the built in Nvidia Shadowplay its awesome for recording videos. You can set it almost like a dvr or have it save for example your last 10 minutes of gameplay so if you do something cool you could hit a keybind and it will save those last 10 minutes its a very strong tool the best thing about it is that most modern nvidia GPU's ( 900 and newer) have a Built in dedicated Encoding chip that causes no performance issues. another thing is that it saves video recorded already in mp4 format so you don't have to waste time converting to another format. its very easy and simple to use. you can even control files sizes ect..

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/shadowplay/

if you don't have an nvidia GPU I do believe that AMD Aka Radeon has an equivalent solution but I'm not sure of the name.

FrostII, Anpu and Fei Akhart like this.
  6. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Google's ShareX is a superior capturing program if you don't have other capture-capable software installed like OBS (for livestreaming) or GeForce Experience (for nvidia gfx card users) Both of those programs are resource hogs.

It'll even make GIFs on the fly. It lets you capture video of specific areas of your screen. I'll admit, this is one of my more secret tools I use for stuff like this here. ;)

All the other tools above require another program to manipulate, crop etc. And you still do to get fancy but this is definitely useful alone for most minor stuff.

I am a paid user of Fraps but it's old and really, really fussy and does nothing compared to other free programs. It also stopped being updated in 2013.

FrostII and Lained like this.
  7. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Anytime :D

The other freeware programs I cannot live without are:

GIMP (Open Source Photoshop)

Inkscape (Open Source Illustrator)

OpenShot (Open Source Video Editor)

Audacity (Open Source Audio Editor)

With those tools, you have a full, pro toolbox for FREE!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    FrostII, Anpu, Manerd and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.