Player Basics - Getting Gold

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Anpu, Aug 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Player Basics - Getting Gold

This guide will go over the basics of how you can gain gold while playing the game, and the various ways you can do that. This is a quick, easy and fast guide to get you going right away.

There are various ways to get gold while in game. I'm just going to go over some easy and basic things you can do, to perhaps at least, get you started. You might be new to the game, or perhaps you are new and received your free POT Row Lot Deed, but have not claimed your own lot yet, because you are probably thinking "How in the HELL can I pay 250 gold a day for that Row Lot property tax!" (just like I did when I first started). Let's go over some basic stuff.

Finishing the 3 Outskirts Areas
    There are 3 different outskirts area, you can go into at any time. Completing all the quests in all 3 of the Outskirts areas is designed to give you a good basic pool of Crafting and Adventure XP, as well as gold and several unique items. You will also be given a specific Title, Virtue Banner and an emote that relates to the virtue associated with each one, when you complete the quests in each of them.

Speaking to the Oracle Daily
    Every 24 Earth hours, you can speak to any Oracle, in a conservatory, and take her test. If you answer her question correctly, you will receive 500 gold and 1000 Experience. Of note, the tax rate for a Row Lot is 250 gold a day. As you can see, you get 2 days worth of taxes from her, every 24 Earth hours.

If you need help in answering the Oracle's daily test question, just read this guide: Player Basics - Speaking to the Oracle Daily

Daily Quests
    There's several Daily Quests you can do once a day. These are all reset at 6:00 PM CST (7:00 PM Daylight Savings Time). Completing these will give you gold, various items, Adventure and Crafting XP and sometimes Artifact items. The rewards for these will vary by difficulty and Tier scene. A complete list of all Daily Quests can be found here: Daily Quests

Storehouse Containers
    Several Storehouse Containers can be found in various cities, and will allow you to turn in a quantity of 4 items to a Storehouse Container Common, and a quantity of 1 item into a Storehouse Container Uncommon once a day for a reward of gold and various items.

Regional Mail Deliveries
    Many Town's on the World Map, have Town Criers that are looking for people to deliver mail. You can do these deliveries as much as you want, and will receive 250 gold per delivery (this is for Regional Mail Deliveries, not the Local ones). This is a perfect way for you to learn and navigate the World Map and to learn where various Towns are located, and get some gold!

To start this. Speak to any Town Crier in a Major Town, like Aerie, Etceter, Central Brittany, Ardoris, Desolis, Harvest, Resolute... etc. This is only for Towns. (Player Owned Town, Town Criers do not offer this).

Click or type the word mail. Click or type the word regional. You will then be given a Mail Package. It will be specifically named for the town you need to deliver it to. Such as "Mail Package for Resolute". The town the Town Crier will send you to is completely random. So it will be random every time. The item you receive will be a yellow, quest item, and will show in your inventory under quest items.

[​IMG]
    In this example, I went to the Town of Xenos and was given a Mail Package for Jaanaford.

Head to the nearest exit out of Town, and head off to the World Map!

Once you are on the World Map, you will need to find the Town you are looking to deliver the package too. You can either look in the in game World Map (Press M key, if the map is not currently shown). You can also use the https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map map. This has all the Towns and other locations on it.

Head into the Town you need to deliver it to. Find the Town Crier and speak to them. A quest window will immediately pop up, requesting the specific Mail Package for that town. Give them the package, and then receive your 200 gold.

[​IMG]
    In this example, I went to the Town of Jaanaford and delivered this package.

And that is it! You can repeat this over and over. It is important to note, while you are making gold, you are not getting any adventure or crafting experience. But you are getting some gold.

Adventure Areas with Humanoids
    And here is where we start one of the fundamental basics of the game. All Humanoid creatures in the game drop gold. And they also drop other various items as well. I encourage you to explore the various Adventure Scenes in the game, and go explore. If you find a scene with a lot of Humanoids in them, kill them and take all the loot they drop. As your pack starts to fill up, you can then leave the area, then head off to a Town, and sell all the loot you have collected to Vendors in Towns. Of note, certain Vendors buy things at better prices than others. Check the wiki's http://sotawiki.net/sota/Tag_Match page to see the people who will more than likely buy stuff at a better price. DO NOTE: Sometimes things change, and this list is only updated by players. Catnip Games can change things from time to time.

The basics of this are the higher Tier the Humanoid, the better the gold and items Humanoids drop. This is not always the case however, so you will have do do some exploring to see what works best for you. Of note, as you kill the various Humanoids, you are getting Adventure Experience with every kill.

Harvesting Resources to sell to Player Vendors
    Many of the various Adventure Areas have resources within each of the Areas. When walking around the World Map you can go near an area and hover your mouse over the area's name and actually see the resources within.

[​IMG]
    In this example, this is a Tier 2 area that show 2 resources in WHITE. This means those resources can be found within the scene, and have an "adequate" amount of those specific resource nodes to harvest. The resources listed in grey however can be found in the scene, but are not plentiful.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Higher Tier Adventuring Areas do not give more resources when harvesting them. You will have to try and find areas that have *more* of a specific resource node you are looking for. For example, the Elysium Mines has the most active Silver Ore nodes you can harvest. Other adventuring areas can also have Silver Ore Nodes, but they will not have as many Silver Ore nodes nodes as you can find in the Elysium Mines.

Higher Tier areas will often have better resources (secondary resources) than lower Tier areas, in general. And some of the resource nodes within them give higher levels of Crafting Experience when harvesting them. Secondary resources are resources like Beetle Carapaces, Tin, Nickel, Pine Resin, and Maple Tree Bark to name a few. You get these when harvesting basic resource nodes. Like when harvesting a Copper Ore node, you might find a secondary resources like Tin. Of note, harvesting resources gives you Crafting Experience each time to are harvesting a resource.

It is recommended you gather and save these resources, and once you have some sufficient quantities of them, sell them to the various Player Vendors that buy them. You will also need to gather quantities of these resources in quantities of around 100 or 50 (in general). Some items are very much wanted and will be bought for much less than quantities of 100 or 50 (like Beetle Carapaces).

Once you have some significant quantities in a resource, head to many of the Player Owned Towns, and check for various Player vendors that are buying resources. Speak to the Player Vendor, then select the BUY tab to see the quantities and price they are buying them for. Be sure to visit many vendors (and take notes) and seek out the Player Vendors that buy Resources for the best price.

Since we have a Player run economy, supply and demand for specific resources goes up and down. This changes all the time. Currently (as of the date from writing this) Beetle Carapaces, Pine or Maple Wood, Tin and Nickle is in high demand, and many people offer to buy it at a very good price. Again, seek the best Player Vendor that has the best price to sell them to.

Conclusion
    This covers just the basics to get you started, as a new player, in getting gold. There are many more ways to also get gold, but I just wanted to cover some simple basics. Following the above advice will get you on the path to getting more gold!

------------
    My other guides:
    Anpu's Guides to Getting Started - The Outskirts and Beyond

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    Lucky1221, StarLord, Xithar and 13 others like this.
  2. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

You might want to test my theory to be sure, but I THINK they changed this so that the timer resets at midnight. So I don't think it has to be 24 hours on the dot. Still once a day after midnight. Again, I haven't tested it but I thought I remembered reading about it and it seems it works that way for me.

Secondly, what an amazing tip for new players. If it's not already, it should be in the player handbook @Chris

Anpu likes this.
  3. Numa

Numa Avatar

I drop by the Oracle after midnight (Austin time), sometimes on the dot and other times an hour or two later - it works either way.

Another great guide @Anpu :)

Anpu likes this.
  4. vulcanjedi

vulcanjedi Bug Hunter

I am pretty sure when playing on a weekend I have talked to the Oracle first thing and gotten the gold then came back later that night and also been able to test and get the gold. Like after 8 or 10 hours of real time.
    vj

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Thanks guys for the feedback. If you can provide me with the exact time the timer on the Oracle is reset and what specific time (in CST Austin), I will add that specific information.

6. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Maybe @Chris can help with that?

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Hey Anpu, your guides are awesome. I just posted a link to them in a comment on Steam, and was thinking it would be great for all the new Steam players (they exist) if your guides were available there. Sorry to double the work load, but if you have the time that would be awesome.

Anpu likes this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Oh thank you! And that would be a good idea. I’ll try to get that in my schedule.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  9. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

@Anpu Another good tip for new players is to speak to the town crier in each town the first time they go into it. You'll have to verify the amount they give. It's either 100gp or 200gp. I do believe the player owned towns are included in this.

Nockie, Elgarion, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  10. Xithar

Xithar Avatar

Like Rhiannon already wrote, speak with each Town Crier once, what I like to add:
    When you use a "Teleport to Zone" scroll the first 2 entries will change daily, sometimes leading to towns you didn't visit before. Unknown towns are marked with a ?.
    Teleport to the Town Crier & speak to him, this gives you 200 gold and adds the town to your teleport locations.

Harbor Containers: Those are like a daily quest, giving gold, XP and some small items as rewards.
    In the habor area of various NPC towns (Kingsport as example) as well as in some other NPC towns (Castle Atos) you find 5 containers to fill with scrap or small items.
    A NPC is always near to them called Harbormaster, use the boxes to see what they need to be filled with.
    Most might be filled with salvaged stuff crafted from items you got from fighting MoBs, like wooden scrap from salvaged wooden weapons etc.
    You may fill 4 "small" boxes and 1 "big" one. If you already filled a type it'll say that the box is already full, which will apply to any boxers of that type. It will reset daily at the same time as the Oracle does.

11. simon1974

simon1974 Bug Hunter

You dont need to speak to the town crier to register the location in your teleport list, just get in the place is enough

Lained and Anpu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.