I am disappointed that Calan Caitin's thread was deleted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rinaldi, Aug 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Based on when @Calan Caitin was last logged in, it appears that he did not delete his own thread.
    Having read the thread myself, I saw no reason why his thread should have been deleted by Moderators. His thread contained a lot of negative comments about SOTA (from Calan and other players), but I believe those negative comments were not unfounded.

It would be nice to know which forum rule was broken (if any) and what he said that needed censoring. Perhaps send Calan a PM explaining your action (if not done already). It may also be a good idea to PM him to discuss specific issue that could help improve the user experience - seriously, he is a long time player and supporter of the game.

But I guess not having someone more dedicated to community outreach makes it impossible to adequately process feedback.

I want to know when long time players/supporters are becoming dissatisfied and disappointed with Portalarium and why. I would think that Portalarium would want to know why as well.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  2. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Was that the thread attacking specifically Chris?

3. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

you should be used to it by now... LOL... if you have anything to say that might be construed in anyway shape or form as negative then it's best to post it somewhere else because it will disappear without a trace (unless, you saved it in archive.org)... I'm not saying anything negative in this post (waves hands *jedi mind trick*) but it's just the way it is... LOL

4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Let me quote you before it gets deleted! :p

Cordelayne likes this.
  5. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

but I wasn't saying anything negative in this thread (waves hands *jedi mind trick*)
    [​IMG]

6. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

If there was something that was construed as an "attack", then only the "attack" portion of the text could have been deleted and replaced with "[removed by moderator for violating forum rules]". This would leave the rest of the post intact (so we could see the premise of the post), and would have preserved the opinions of the other players who posted in that thread. I have moderated forums before, and I believe my suggestion above would have been a far more appropriate action.

I wish Portaralium would reach out to players who are not part of Port's inner circle.
    And, reach out to players who are not satisfied rather than deleting their threads.
    I think the game would be far better, and much of the community would be far more satisfied.

7. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

There are lots of negative forum posts.

That one was rude, confrontational, and attacked people by name.

Of course they should delete it. If they excised all the rubbish from it, it would be an empty, moderated thread.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It amazes me how often people say stuff like when it is constantly proven to be incorrect.

HoustonDragon, Crendel and Montaigne like this.
  9. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I'm amazed that you're amazed... amazing... LOL

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

People post about stuff they're unhappy with here on a daily basis with 0 issues. You've been around long enough to know that.

11. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

and what does it have to do with my non-negative suggestion... isn't it true that it is far better to post anything that can be construed as negative somewhere else if the poster doesn't want it to disappear... that is a perfectly valid suggestion...

are you saying that none of them disappeared? I know I have poor vision but it's not that bad to totally not see something that was just there... LOL

12. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

err... wait... by any chance that you are seeing posts or threads that have been hidden? are you maybe a secret moderator? you can tell me, I will not tell anyone... promise... LOL
    [​IMG]

13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Dang, I pulled up the forums solely to see what feedback there was on that thread since it was posted. :/ Oh well, back to other games.

14. Dulayne

Dulayne Avatar

This post does not really help with the addition of flippancy and sarcasm. The forum moderators removed it and Rinaldi is exercising his right to air his views on it. Just because things "are the way they are", does not mean people should feel deterred from expressing themasel

City Slicker likes this.
  15. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Yes, if this is true you are spot on. A lot of times, people defend a post and then you read the post (not the case here, obviously, since it was deleted and I didn't read it). Upon reading it you see things that clearly violate the rules. I am for open debate, negative or otherwise, but if you cross a thin line you should expect the consequences. These rules are subjective. So what you think may not be crossing the line someone else obviously does think it crossed the line.

It reminds me of a player who used a very pejorative term toward one of the team members. They complained about being censored, but completely left out the part where they used a pejorative to describe someone. In this instance, you cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Please note, I am not trying to make comparisons. But if there was anything directed at an individual which was construed as a personal attack, then *bam* post deleted. There's nothing wrong about being civil in your discussion.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You are misrepresenting. That is the point. It's not what you say.. it's HOW you say it. If you don't want posts to 'disappear' then don't be rude and disrespectful in HOW you give your feedback regardless of whether or not it is "negative". Your original reply is essentially saying that ALL 'negative' posts get moderated. That is simply not true. You are continuing to suggest here that posts were moderated just because something was 'negative'.

What is true is that it is far better to be constructive and respectful in your posts. If you can do that, then you should have no fear in having posts or threads 'disappear' due to anything you've said.

17. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

so you are saying that it's perfectly fine the way it is now? okay... can't really argue with that... LOL

18. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Wow I can't believe it was deleted. Does everything on here have to be rainbows and unicorns?

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Read the rest of the thread and you'll have your answer. To be clear.. nothing is ever deleted. Just removed from public view. Devs still have access to all threads.

20. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

you can, you just have to be very respectful, follow the forum rules and not hurt anyone's feelings... remember, SotA is a game about the Virtues and it must be upheld in the forums as well... ;)

for example, instead of saying what the deleted thread originally said, the poster should have said (based on what was replied to me) something like below...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.