Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Responded] Can look into and open all containers everywhere

Discussion in 'Release 69 Feedback Forum' started by Tailz, Aug 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phamyns

Phamyns Avatar

2. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

@Phamyns made a good point - you can't use the remote bank. I can confirm this - the cursor stays silver when trying to access a remote bank on a lot you have no permissions to (which is how it used to be for private chests, ie, any private container on a lot).

Ostvel and Tailz like this.
  3. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

*Ahhhh, I think I understand WHY*

Maybe...
    Guys... There was a suggestion put to the Devs awhile back about creating game tables. *That Lord British also Wants*
    (Poker, Blackjack, Backgammon, Roulette, Liar's Dice, etc.)

But that those tables needed to have a finite number of positions for players to sit, and no matter who the players were, they needed to have access to the interface of the gaming table, and that spectators should be able to watch.

Now I may be completely off the mark here, but we may be seeing this rummage problem, because it's a precursor setup mechanic to introduce those tables.
    Time will tell the tale, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

And if this speculation is true... Then I can see "why" the permissions would be the way they are, and the fix would be to have the containers that you don't want people to be able to look inside of, in a private location, like a bedroom, that only you have access to. Which is a lot like it is in the real world as well.

There... The thought is floated, chew on the idea at your leisure.

-Zeke

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  4. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

Unacceptable!
    Open crafting pavilions have no doors and I will not forced down into a basement to craft and store all my items.
    This was not an issue before and it shouldn't be an issue now, if someone wants access to spectate or play these games they are adding then those people can be added to the lot by the owner as it has always been.
    Please fix this container issue as it is effecting many players in a negative way!
    and... in the real world, lock boxes and other containers are not always in a bedroom... some are even outside the home.

5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

still present in 1035

Tailz and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  6. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

I don't know how or where post this, i had a bunch of chests placed in open areas (no access of any kind).

i don't have any FIRE ATTUNMENT RING left, they have been taken somehow. What should I do?

7. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

still present in 1036
    can we at least get an official answer if this is something being fixed or not?
    @Chris @Lord Subtleton

CatherineRose likes this.
  8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Check the lot log and see who took any items from the chest?

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  9. Justyn

Justyn Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Lord Subtleton thank you for your quick response, but I'm afraid it doesn't address the concern. Unless a chest is marked "public" no one should have ANY access, including view only. If you aren't listed on the lot and/or a container isn't marked as public you shouldn't even be able to interact with it, much less open it and dig around.

Looking at containers as compared to other deco items it seems containers are missing a permission level: Decoration Move: Public / Decoration move: Co-Owner. If you're going to make containers an intractable item, we should at least have the option to make them completely private. If you have amazon deliver a package to your house and it's sitting on your front porch, I presume you don't want your neighbors wandering by and opening it just to see what you've ordered, even if they can't steal it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

So, developers, why do you not have feature specification tests that specifically check for things like this?

It seems to me, that a build shall always fail, if other players can have unintentional access to player containers, lot items, or equipped items. It seems like an absolutely obvious feature test to have a player that does not have access to a container attempt to view, add, modify, and delete items in the container. The build must fail if those actions do not fail.

As a developer, I have known since this game's inception that there would come a time when addition of new features would introduce bugs which allows players to access items they are expected to have no access to. I have always kept my items in private containers behind a locked door. Its a pain in the butt to access my precious loot, but my experience as a developer has shown me that its extremely common for enterprise class software teams to fail to write meaningful tests for their software. Thus it is inevitable that a release will come when players are able to access the loot inside other players containers, lots, or inventories.

Please have a contingency plan to restore the game to a state prior to such looting.

Please add tests to your software development process.

11. Lord Subtleton

Lord Subtleton Developer Emeritus

Thanks go out to everyone who has commented here. We do read the posts, though we may not respond to all of them. There are no open issues currently where a player is able to access an item on a lot where she does not have the proper access. By default, all players have access to interact with decorations placed on any lot. You can deny another player interaction access to your lot by adding that player to your Banned Players list on the Lot Permissions UI. Banned players can still enter your lot, but cannot interact with anything.
    This thread has been moved to the R69 feedback section so that players can continue to post their ideas on this topic.

Jaesun and Barugon like this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Thanks for the clarification but I think there are a number of players who have a problem with anyone seeing into their containers (I'm not one of them). Perhaps you can consider a new permission for who can look into a container?

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  13. Lord Subtleton

Lord Subtleton Developer Emeritus

Privacy settings are something we can definitely consider as a future feature improvement.

Tiina Onir, Jaesun and Barugon like this.
  14. Justyn

Justyn Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Thank you for the response @Lord Subtleton. I believe we are trying to report that there should be an open issue here. No one should be able to to walk on to my lot and interact with anything at all that I didn't make interactable. I shouldn't have to lock my doors or ban people from my lot to keep them from digging through my stuff. I don't think it's a feature improvement, when a feature that has always existed is removed. Reading this back, it sounds a lot more salty than it should, but I don't think it's unreasonable for us to be concerned about this.

Maybe we are missing the point. What was the point of making containers publicly interacatble items? Why was this change made?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  15. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

So for 3 years we all play with privacy and now its all gone? Something you will consider in future features??? LOL rly?
    Why take it away in the first place and without informing anyone of this take away?
    @Lord Subtleton Unacceptable!

16. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

Put it back the way it was. Feedback be damned!

17. Ozzy Questor

Ozzy Questor Avatar

I Had to move my basement hatch to inside my house behind locked door now because people were looking in my chest . What does the Term Privacy mean... It is a pain now and was working fine all the time I have been playing till now.. It will be another loss of players over something like this. In every game I have played privacy of your items was always tied to the storage unit. Not having to be behind a locked door. Undo what was done for the sake of the players.

18. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Ok, I don't want to seem rude, but here goes - you guys broke permissions and now we're reporting a BUG. This is not a request for a new feature, this is reporting something you guys did in your zeal to roll out a buggy permission system without enough testing!

Banning is not the answer to this. That has to be the worst suggestion I have ever seen.

By default ALL containers except "public cache chests" should be private to anyone that has not been granted explicit permissions on the lot, such as co-owner. THAT is how it worked in the past.

Now anyone can look into any container as I explained on this thread - complete with visual aids.

This is a bug and should be treated as a bug.

19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Perfect time to now add a locked chest mechanic to the game.

20. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

If you all want to know at least one reason why you keep loosing membership and players don't stick around... this one really good reason why that happens. If you need an explanation as to what I mean, then I rest my case.
    @Lord Subtleton @Chris @DarkStarr and what ever other devs read these forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.