(NecroThread)Archery "adjustments"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Jul 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Are you using shield of Air?

The reason you are taking focus hits bigger is because shield of Air received a nerf, so your focus transfer ratio should be higher than before.

That should explain it, and now it might simply require to work a bit around the recent nerfs, because Shield of Air was a bit strong.

2. Hsitirb

Hsitirb Avatar

Up until recently I was not using air magic at all - recently started (SoA @ lvl 28 right now) but when I remembered to use it was before engaging as high fizzle rate.
    That accounts for focus drains on hits by trolls and not the actual casting of magic?
    (I'm asking cuz I don't know how it works - before release someone told me to use air w ranged so don't know much about the magic side).
    Thanks

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Well usually you should not be losing focus when being hit unless you are using Chaos Shield, Air Shield, or fighting Petrified Zombies.

If you are losing focus while fighting you are doing one of the above, otherwise there is a bug. Also, since your air shield is so low, it is multiplying the damage you are receiving (1 focus transfer rate = 1:1, any higher than that and you are taking more damage in your focus than you would in your HP, you want it to be 0.7 or less)

4. Hsitirb

Hsitirb Avatar

A flaw in science is to change 2 variables at the same time - I switched from immolation to shield of air about the same time as the latest release.
    The link is a battle with the twins.

I first hover over my buffs and gear so you can see what I've got - since I'm now blades n heavy armour the food buffs are dragon stew n troll normally they were the wolf surprise and stew.

Fighting troll 1 I use immolation (which I was using before the new release) and when hit I'm not experiencing a focus hit. Which is what it was before the new release.

The 2nd troll I replaced immolation with shield of air. The trolls didn't cooperate much, must be camera shy, cuz they wouldn't throw boulders at me but in the last take I put my bow away until I took a couple hits. First boulder did 97 to focus and the second hit (clap) did 185 to focus and third (boulder) did 186 to focus before I took him out.

The trolls aren't as bad as the obsidian wolves - in a pack they do 50ish each and in a matter of seconds I have 0 focus. I chose the troll for the example here cuz the damage is seen easier (singled out - hard to determine when multi attacks from various wolves).

Question - these hits to focus happen when I'm hit not when I attack or cast spells - is it supposed to be that way cuz it really takes me out of the game.

Chatele likes this.
  5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Yes, let me explain what shield of air does :

This means, at your current rate of 1.7 Focus Transfer Rate, you receive 1.7x the damage to your Focus Pool that a mob would usually do to your HP pool. This means if it is hitting you for 30 usually, it is now hitting for 50 in your focus pool.

I think you simply did not understand what it is doing!

StarLord and Sara Dreygon like this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That's the whole point of Shield of Air. It converts health damage to focus damage.

7. Hsitirb

Hsitirb Avatar

Ouch! so there is no error, other than my understanding and I shouldn't use Shield of Air on large mobs until I have it build up. Wow - thanks for the explanation. And to think I was getting frustrated on ignorance on my part.
    Thanks

8. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Yes. Air Shield is valuable when you get it to high levels. Currently my transfer rate is 0.6. (Was 0.4 before the recent nerf). So if I get hit for 100 damage I lose 60 focus.

9. Valyn MacLir

Valyn MacLir Avatar

So, as of this patch, my crit damage has dropped from around 800ish on a very rare absolute top hit... to a little under 400 on a top hit, with literally every archery skill at a minimum of level 115. Overall damage is roughly halved, maybe a little less than half. I'm going to go ahead and say that at this point I really don't see how archery is a viable option for most things, and I'm going to suggest sliding it over into the taming category in terms of usefulness. Maybe a cool backup or an RP option unless you're massively over-levelled for what you plan to do.

StarLord and Mishikal like this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's been a series of changes. There were several bugs that affected damage output that were fixed this release and on top of that, a nerf to free-attack.

Mishikal likes this.
  11. Valyn MacLir

Valyn MacLir Avatar

It seems to me that a 50% damage nerf to free attack might have been a bit heavy handed, in my opinion. But my two-handed sword and polearms friends both seem to do similar damage (+/- maybe 20-50 damage here or there) so I suspect it isn't the damage output bugfixes, but rather the free-attack nerf alone that has crippled it.

Mishikal likes this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The actual nerf equates to about a 12% damage reduction for charging to 8. You were also getting an extra charge, so that's another 20% reduction, so 32% reduction total. I think that just fixing the extra charge bug would have been enough and he didn't need the other nerf. On top of that, you were also getting an extra charge for locked skills up to 6 (it's capped at 6) and there was an across the board boost to mob's armor and there was a nerf to Shield of Air, so yeah, archers were hit hard.

StarLord likes this.
  13. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I'll just say this. The change was liberating, I no longer play SOTA. If you see me on, it's purely to reset my lot timers or to give my wife brief assistance on decoing a lot she's working on. Neither of us play SOTA anymore in any real fashion. Good luck to you all.

Grumpy Krabnevir and Barugon like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Sorry to hear that. I still think it's fun and I stubbornly stick to ranged.

StarLord, Asclepius and Jaesun like this.
  15. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Still seeing a couple of my archer pals kicking ass with charged shot despite the nerf. I mean they're not critting 1300 anymore but 1000s still popping off with no focus cost. This not good?

16. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I mean I went back to archer this release. First off I dont charge the full way (2-3 ticks max, havent seen a difference between 2 or 8 ticks yet) and second I'm 130-115-115 in the inmates that increase damage. I can do more content than ever, in a group doing the aether dragon I pulled agro, when I managed to drop it (was trying to use evasion), the others would die not too long ago, and for me simply using greater and imbued focus pots kept me alive the whole fight... sure my hits are (only?) 400-600 on a crit, but I feel like this damage is insane compared to other play styles at the speed I can dish it out, and sure a fire mage in tartarus can do more, but I get more artis and loot since then (went from 1 arti per week to 5-6 artis per day...)

I still can't figure out how archers feel like their class died...

Black777Lodge and Sara Dreygon like this.
  17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It's not as good as it was two weeks ago. But since I just switched to this build from a "normal" archer build, I'm still doing better than I was.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  18. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I just dont understand why many archers are saying it is outclassed by everything else. Sure ai get less solo exp, but I get WAY MORE solo loot.it is a fair tradeoff IMO

Sara Dreygon and Dhanas like this.
  19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, I also get to use potions of Acumen more now, since doing UT solo gives me a regular supply of lich skulls.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.