Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Thanks for the native map!

Discussion in 'Release 69 Feedback Forum' started by Feeyo, Aug 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Just a big thank you for the migration to the new map!
    Performance, Questing and adventuring is so much better with this map.

Hope to see more scenes integrated soon. :)

2. Hermetic

Hermetic Avatar

Now we need the ability to add labels, icons etc. to it.

Spoon likes this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes. Works on Linux and doesn't seem to crash.

Feeyo and Jaesun like this.
  4. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I was about to post the same! I keep toggling it on and off, it's brilliant!

Feeyo likes this.
  5. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I'm just wondering if/when:

1. The overland map is going to be populated with all the POTs so people can find them.

2. If POT maps are going to be populated with the houses and lots?

3. If POT owners will be able to add roads and markers.

Belladonna Rose and Jaesun like this.
  6. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I do not think this is going to be possible, means our clients will have to upload their local map changes to port its servers and then share it to the rest of the players?
    But hey maybe @Undone has figured that out already.
    Could be a multicast or websockets protocol implementation that all clients are subscribed too and stream their data.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Jaesun like this.
  7. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Ah well, I will take a wait and see attitude before I start LOUDLY questioning the necessity of this change. I'll wait to see if the overland map is fixed to display POT locations as it did in the past and I'll wait to see if the completely blank POT maps get populated with lot information at a minimum.

Jakub White was a genius with what he accomplished as far as the map system goes. I am interested to see if Portalarium can do genius things with it going forward.

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  8. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Sometimes we need to cancel functionality on a system that is just not working out correctly.
    I for one think the move to the native map implementation is sooo much better then the map we had. And no, not because I am on Linux. But just because its faster, not dependent on external forces.
    No weird "extra" thread spawns for the external binary blob to load a map.
    The map should now even work for the "offline" players. Questing with his map is such an big improvement and probably for the better to implement the newer questing system.

Astirian likes this.
  9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

One reason they had to get rid of the old map system, was because it was loading an external DLL file, and every time Port would report crashing problems, Unity would always point to that external DLL as the problem.

Now that that has been removed (and to nobodies surprise), the crashes people are still getting were not a fault of that DLL. Now the fix to problems falls back on the fault of Unity...

Feeyo and Astirian like this.
  10. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

It is possible, just haven't worked out the best way to do it yet. Not to mention it's relatively low on the priority list right now. The main point of this move was to get rid of the external dependency and increase reliability/speed for our clients.

Feeyo, Echondas and Jaesun like this.
  11. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Exactly! Now you folks can be like, hey Unity fix this crash - we're not using that zfgamebrowser.exe anymore!

Jaesun and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  12. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Fair enough, but are there plans to populate both the overland map and the town maps with useful information, such as being able to look at the overland map and do a search for the exact location of specific towns? Are internal town maps going to be populated with useful information such as the lot layout and who owns the lot?

I loved the old map system that Portalarium purchased from Jakub White. If the answers to my questions above are "no", can we at least have a compromise and keep the external map going so that we can continue to search for towns on the overland map and POT owners can continue to have maps that aren't blank? How hard would that be and how much time would it take to update it with all the POTs that were never added such as Starfield and Myth Lyatharin to name a few?

Belladonna Rose likes this.
  13. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

eventually we will be able to add dynamic lots on POTs etc as we had before. At the moment however we're just piggy backing off of the compass system. We hope to expand upon it at some point for POTs in particular.

The external map is still available here. However, it will no longer be updated with missing maps etc. Dynamic lots should continue to populate as long as our internal processes continue. One of the main reasons we migrated away from that site is that it's very difficult + time consuming to maintain and update.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Would hope that you continue to support an external map, or at least have a way to search out locations in-game.

15. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

That map i still like to use for reference. But with Pots changing locations and such its not not a very viable or reliable backroad for POTs. Still is sufficient for some adventure zones and Npc towns though as majority of those havent changed in a while.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.