R69 Build 1036 - Heritage items

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hemswal The Descended, Sep 6, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

Quick story.

In Ultima Online, one of the earliest (possibly the earliest) login reward was a holiday bag from Santa. Depending on your karma, you'd get a good bag or a bad bag. They had champagne flutes, a note, maybe lump of coal or candy and the bag had something like "Happy Holidays" on it.

Either way, there were a bazillion of these things. Everyone was dumping them on the ground at the bank. You could collect a thousand of them if you sat at the banks all day. There were stacks of them and people considered them a nuisance.

Anyway, after the holidays, these "incredibly numerous" items went away and people were kinda sick to death of them. People would eat the candy or whatever, and think nothing of it.

Seven years later, I noticed the Champagne Flutes were selling for about $10 worth of gold in game, and people were talking on the forums about them like they were so amazing as home deco. So, nearly worthless reward + time = valuable.

Also, you can consider you can make a ton of free accounts for the Oracle's 500gp, or get multiple subscriptions to get more rewards. I try to keep this activity limited simply because logging in and out of a bunch of accounts is not enjoyable. Maybe someone might want to get 100 of these to trade, but after awhile its probably better to do other things with your time. Plus, its a scheme that is likely to not pay off for a long time.

But, if it keeps a new player engaged, power to them. I don't imagine its something to get upset about if their 100 accounts occupy 100kb of database space in a hundred terabyte world...

Sincerely,

Engineer

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Personally, I don’t have a problem with lower price, no trade Heritage items. That’s fine by me. Because I’m poor.....

It is rather strange they don’t offer a higher priced, but tradeable option? Seems odd to neglect that.

Witcheypoo, Sentinel2 and Cordelayne like this.
  3. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

Use a pattern remover to remove the heritage pattern maybe? "Pattern Remover" is pretty much a store bought item.

4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Haha. Yea that was cool. You could make armor out of the coal ore santa gave you. :)

Datendrache likes this.
  5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I don't think that works very well. One, its a very cheap component, so its not really a "premium". Plus, patterns are cosmetic only, so mixing this with a functional process probably isn't intuitive enough for folks. Theres no reason they can't just create a new item for this specific purpose, and make sure the cost there will always be what they want a tradeable version of their Heritage items to be.

Cordelayne likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The lumps of coal became quite valuable too. ;)

Datendrache likes this.
  7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Its funny you mention this because I walked around with that silly dog in my inventory forever. Couldn't store it in a container, bank is full, and couldn't place it anywhere and well, its a dog.

I finally stuck it in one of the basements just because I had nowhere to put it.

[​IMG]

Am I going to need a basement for unwanted / currently not in use heritage rewards? I can't even put this thing in a container.
    Novia is going to be overrun by mojitos!

Witcheypoo, Bedawyn, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  8. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I agree that it's weird. Why not offer a higher priced item that can be traded? What if I want to gift it to someone, I've never tried it, but does the coto store allow you to buy to gift it to someone else?

9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Dogs deserve better treatment...

Cordelayne likes this.
  10. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Of course! Which is why we need to be able to trade them to people who actually LIKE them :)

I'm still trying to decide whether it's more annoying to have a dog in my basement or a dog in my bank. I should probably just destroy it, but... not liking dogs doesn't make me THAT cruel!

11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i checked, he's immortal.

Cordelayne and Jaesun like this.
  12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That's not true! I almost always prefer the crafted versions of things. The ornate stuff is almost always overly gaudy and gross.

13. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Personally I like to have the option of trading or selling an item. Heritage items would need to be really flashy in some way to grab my attention.

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

True, there are a bunch of crafted beautiful ones. The carved cabinets etc in particular are great.

Jaesun likes this.
  15. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

The Grand Piano! YAS!

16. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

The heritage items are a terrible idea. One of the things that was an idea for this game was the ability to hire someone to decorate your lot for you, for example. And the ability to buy for crowns and sell for gold on vendors, etc, was supposed to be a possibility. Very disappointed to see Port go this route.

Senash Kasigal likes this.
  17. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

This is what the palette system will allow. It unfortunately got pushed one more release though but it will allow people to deco your lot with your no trade items.

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Niiiiicccccccceeeeeeee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.