Blind vs Fireflies

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Nick, Sep 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

For a solo player, which would be a better choice to use?

2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Blind is good in pretty much all situations, but it's short duration can be annoying. Meanwhile Fireflies will HIGHLY benefit high crit chance/Crit modifier classes like Polearms or bows.

Both are great, and TBH I use both, Fireflies to start the fight, and the blind throughout the fight, but if you have to chose 1, up there is your breakdown.

3. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

Lately my fireflies tend to not hit anything (even at low range), seems higher level mobs have a resistance (e.g. trolls and reapers)

Nick likes this.
  4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I've noticed that too! I thought I was simply out of range for the spell even though I could cast it, guess not!

StarLord, Nick and Boris Mondragon like this.
  5. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I will add my two cents on this as I use fireflies on the elf next to the Rise Dog Run. It helps but I think all Rise elves have had their physical resistance upped without telling us. Takes longer to kill them with Bladed Combat at 157 on way to 160 than when I had it a 151. Good drops also decreased during the last week. R/Boris

Paladin Michael, Nick and Crendel like this.
  6. Chiasma

Chiasma Bug Hunter

I rarely see people using blind on PVE because it only last for 10 seconds.

Most archers use fireflies to increase their critical damage on PVE. It is good against boss creature too as it last one minute.

Nick and Boris Mondragon like this.
  7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I hardly ever fight reapers so I cant say about that, I will go test it. But it has always landed for me on trolls, well on everything I use it on. Even on my alts who it is only at level 80 it has never missed.

Nick and Jaesun like this.
  8. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

Have both and use appropriately would be my advise.

Fireflies is great (assuming most of your damage is coming from physical attacks), but the global cool down and heat cool down is long. So I use stack/charged fireflies for long fights, ie boss fights 5k hp plus. Anything under 1k hp I don't use it at all, as hitting 2 damage glyphs rather than waiting the slow global cool down drops the mob quicker. Mobs 1k to 5k I use a single stack/charge as it is not worth waiting to stack or charge and the heat cool down would mean I would no longer have it available after 3 or so mobs in a row.
    Edit : also fireflies does not seem to get stronger with attunement, so can cherry pick the skill without needing to level most of the tree to make it more effective.

Blind, I use, but never charge or stack, as the duration is short, so for me I found it better to keep replying a one stack.

The above works for my build/decks and play style. May not translate for yours, but that is my experience of the two skills.

Regards
    Spung

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    kaeshiva, Nick, Dhanas and 2 others like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Avatar

Thanks for all the input. I am mostly a dumb fighter, so I've not really looked at other skills. Mostly just body slam and poke the other mob's butt. Started to look at fireflies after folks mentioned about it. Then compared with it blind.

As a blade user, I take on low level mob one at a time, so short duration isn't a problem. What I had trouble grasping is when to use fireflies and when to use blind. I tried both, and the end result seemed the same. (maybe cause my level is too low) Your feedback has been most enlightening. As usual, I'll compile the info into a book then resell to the masses. :)

Perhaps there should be a tactics glyph call 'Throw dirt'. That'll be good for pure blades user like Sara.

Questions, are there any mobs that are resistant to blind and fireflies? like liches or ghosts? Fireflies shouldn't work on fire elemental right?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Jaesun and Mac2 like this.
  10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

not that I have seen, it has worked on everything I have cost it on.

11. Nick

Nick Avatar

Oh well... I'll put in the book as well.

How do you debuff blind or fireflies if you get hit by them?

Mac2 likes this.
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You can’t, as far as I know.

Mac2 and Nick like this.
  13. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

This is correct

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Purify doesn't work? Actually, I'm still trying to figure out what Purify is for (other than a death resist buff).

Nick, Paladin Michael and Mac2 like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Avatar

I'd expect it to at least cure poison. I do recall using it after I accidentally fell into lava to clear the dots.

Jaesun, Paladin Michael and Mac2 like this.
  16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Purify will cure one fire dot, confusion and torpid torment that I know of. It does not cure poisons from other players, either does cure poison pot, there is no way to get rid of those player poisons that I know of.

Jaesun, Paladin Michael and Barugon like this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What about poisons from high-level mobs?

18. Nick

Nick Avatar

Hi, in your opinion, would it be useful for a low level player to use this two skills? Would like to make this a point for new players reading the book. Thanks in advance.

Jaesun likes this.
  19. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I use Blind only in a 1-to-1 deck (like visiting trolls or such things).
    Instead of Blind I use Dazzling Rays in my standard deck, because it mesmerizes up to six enemies...
    I use Fireflies and Confusion parallel, placed them all in one slot ...
    From my experience it helps alot to get enemies "confused" with any skills ;)

Jaesun and Nick like this.
  20. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Purify will cure the poison from spiders, I dont know about the poison from mushrooms. I really only put purify on my main deck bar vs the spider queen, all the other mobs the poisons never really bother me enough to waste the spot on my bar. Ghost corpion dot can be cured by douse or purify, but I use douse cuz its cheaper and way faster cooldown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.