Make online characters available in offline mode

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by buz, Sep 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buz

buz Avatar

*see title*
    Please!
    I thought this was going to be a feature of the game? I thought it was mentioned during the kickstarter days.
    @DarkStarr @Chris
    :)

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not 100% sure what you mean by online characters. If you mean your player character, that was never planned. Online and offline modes were always intended to be separate. Though there could easily have been some confusion between talk of playing offline and playing in single-player (online) mode.

They did at one point kick around the idea of seeding the offline game with player crafted items but that didn't really go anywhere. That's as far as any potential crossover I ever heard back then.

Cirsee and Jaesun like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

No sorry they are separate games. We've always been told that they were.

Jaesun likes this.
  4. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I would guess this might be more a misunderstanding as SotA is so to say two games.

The offline SotA is your personal world with adjustments to make the game playable as solo avatar like different prices, changed enemy stats or NPC companions you can use as party members.
    Nothing you do in the offline part is influencing the online part and reverse.

The online SotA is the world you share with all the other avatars. This online game was originally divided into 3 modes.
    - Single player online = while still in the online world you get a personal “just for you”-instance on entering a scene. Mostly used to e.g. farm resources without competing with other avatars.
    - Friends only = Similar to single player online you get a separated instance but your friends can join this instance if they are using this mode too.
    - Multiplayer online = As long as the avatar limit is not reached everyone is in the same instance. (Exceptions are avatars who are on your block list as avatars you block will be moved in another instance.)
    All three modes shared the same requirement...to be online. This way the only difference between these modes is the number of avatars you could see/interact with.
    During development the usage of the modes was modified e.g. today I think towns are always set to multiplayer online mode to let the towns look more alive.

Possibly you might had misunderstood the single player online mode as the offline version but as far as I know there was never planed any kind of connection between offline and online.

5. Morgana Pendragon

Morgana Pendragon Avatar

Correct.

"We are going to investigate ways to export your online character to the single player version of the game but the offline character will not be importable into the online version."
    Source: Kickstarter Update #5 (March 12, 2013)

Xee, Jaesun, Bowen Bloodgood and 4 others like this.
  6. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Interesting...never heard about it. :eek:
    I guess there is simply no reasonable way to do that and that’s why it remained just a "we take a look at it" announcement.
    And as you can modify your offline save files I would say the benefit of such a function would be also minimal…or would there be any reason why an online to offline import could be interesting?

7. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

If you could bring your inventory, land, etc. down with you, it would be a great reserve option. Sort of like the QA server -- they use a snapshot of what your character was several days ago, you can advance on QA, but the changes aren't carried back to the main server. If you could save snapshots like that to offline, you'd always have a version of your main character to play if there was ever any (temporary or permanent) reason you couldn't (or no longer wanted to) play online -- without having to start all over from scratch. This would be especially nice since there's plenty of content (such as telethon items) that are almost impossible to get offline. Would also allow you to experiment with new ideas painlessly without waiting for the QA server to go live.

I probably wouldn't use it myself because it was the smushing together of all the characters that drove me online, so that the only way to have truly separate alts is to have separate accounts. But if I was only playing one character or one family, I'd jump at the chance to save an offline version of my online character(s).

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The offline save games are also editable. You could import a godlike character to online......

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The OP was asking for online charaters to be available offline, not the other way around.
    As @Jaesun said, you can edit the save-game (XML format) and manipulate your avatar however you want.

Jaesun likes this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Is that virtuous Avatar? ;)

Jaesun likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't know about virtuous but it's probably good for testing out builds.

Bowen Bloodgood and Jaesun like this.
  12. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

Personally, I wouldn't mind having the ability to copy my online character to an offline game. Not the other way around. Just be able to take the online character that I've put a lot of work into and have a "backup" in offline mode....just in case.

13. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I dont play single but this would be neat option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.