SotAwiki Update Thread

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by Browncoat Jayson, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I think Heavy and Sturdy are two different sets of gear. Honestly, I haven't seen much of them drop since I left the outskirts. I'll see if I have any in my salvage bin.

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

yes, the heavies are two-handed and the sturdies one. i meant that in evaluating the bug report, they may have decided to add a new heavy rather than the missing sturdy, or they may add both.

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Browncoat Jayson, Jaesun and Rentier like this.
  4. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Actually, several of the books can be found in other locations -- I've even gotten several from loot drops, in addition to the one NPC location I know that has several. But if people are adding spoilers for easy quests to the wiki, I won't be among them. :)

Especially when ALL the spoilers are packed together under one spoiler tag, so you can't look up just the one you're having trouble with :-(

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

It's a wiki. It goes with the territory.

Correct, but most of those don't have the right quest flag. So unless I'm sure I usually try to help folks by sending them to the original locations which I know have the right flag.

:confused:
    The students of virtue quest can be called many things, but easy ain't one of them.
    I don't know of anyone who would be able to finish that one without some hints. Even folks who follow video walk throughs are complaining in /u that they can't find them.

Rentier and Jaesun like this.
  6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The books can be very difficult to see, if you don’t know what you are looking for. Like the book in the Approach to the Shuttered Eye. Took me forever to find that thing.......

Rentier likes this.
  7. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Do you mean the original/copy thing? Or do you mean that there are versions out there that don't have the "(copy)" but that the quest still won't accept?

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes, or at least we have seen a bunch of such bug reports.
    *EDIT* SEE MY POST BELOW THIS HAS BEEN FIXED *EDIT*
    They don't have the "copy" tag but their color is off in the list when trying to hand them in.

Since I'm such an oldtimer I have always gotten mine from the original spots so I haven't seen that behavior myself.
    However what I can see in the Lux Library chest where I have collected spares of most books in game is that there are for instance three different "everyone needs courage" without the "copy" part that do not stack together. So they have different GUID and I would guess from the bug reports - different quest flags.

However for instance there seems to only be one "fearful rabbit" book since they all stack. Which lines up with that one only being available from the bunny room - or at least I have never seen it drop elsewhere - not even from the wishing wells.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  9. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Hmm. Well, perhaps I'm not as far along on that quest as I'd thought -- which I wouldn't mind if it didn't mean it's yet another buggy quest. *growl*

Fearful Rabbit is one of the books that most (but not all of) my characters have already, one of the ones I'm classifying as rare but not obscure -- easy to get if you make a practice of studying libraries, but not one of the ones you can pick up in the same safe location every time. Haven't tested turning it in yet -- I don't have any of the books I do classify as obscure yet -- but I've never been to the bunny room, don't even know where it is (or want to know).

(I've also never seen wishing wells do a single thing. :) )

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

On average you need to make the examine>toss coin about 30 times.
    Which usually result in a book and sometimes in a fireworks

They were supposed to be a pair
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Wishing_Well
    http://sotawiki.net/sota/Water_Magic_Cloak
    You can kinda sort get better chances with the cloak and some of the luck rings.
    However I've seen no reports of anything better than books given.

Rentier, Bedawyn and Jaesun like this.
  11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

OK, I did some testing with the books. Seems like the bug reported quest flags have been fixed. So no longer buggy.

I did tests with four different versions of books (don't have all four different version for all of them, but for most).
    OK - the ones with the (copy) in the title does not light up the quest delivery and are not preselected when clicking the wanted list - OK (but I would still like to have that explained by the students in the quest text and the HUD quest hints)
    OK - the ones with value 0 and weight 0, as in originals, do light up the quest delivery and are preselected when clicking wanted list - OK
    OK - fixed - the ones with value 1 and weight 0.1, gained from loot tables are now fixed and light up quest delivery and preselect in wanted list - OK

NotOK - the runic ones are still "copy" and does not work
    A personal opinion here which the devs disagree with, the one that tricks most folks are the runic versions, they do say copy in the runic title and therefore does not work for the quest like the other copies. What I don't like is that they have runic copies of those specific books related to that quest since it confuses players - would be better to use any of the other fables that are not used in quests. Or remove the copy bit and make them work in the quest as a kinda easter egg for those who bother translating. Just that the combo of runic and does not work gives the wrong impression.

Rentier likes this.
  12. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

It actually is. The information is presented in buggy order -- the Students give you the quest item window the first time you ask about the books, before ever telling you the book titles -- but when you close that window, they tell you the books have to be original editions and not copies.

The Runic ones I've found all say that they're a copy though (the second runic word I learned to read, after "For Sale" :) ), so I'd think that's okay. Given, as I said, that they do tell you these days that copies don't count.

Hmm. I tried that this afternoon with the one complete set I had (Courage). I was betting that since they had 0/0 as quest items do, that they would work, and they did. However, they weren't preselected, and I'm not sure what you mean by "lighting up."

I wonder how these came about. Perhaps people using the printing press on the originals? :-( I'm guessing these are the ones I've been pulling out of loot sacks, which I was actually disappointed about -- I thought it was way too easy for what was supposed to be a quest. Or perhaps I just had an unusually lucky fluke with the loot rolls.

13. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The "(copy)" books are specifically non-quest versions that are completely tradeable, unlike many (most? all?) of the quest books. As far as I can tell, that is their purpose in life, to let you keep a free-trade version of the quest books.

14. Alley Oop

all the quest-flagged versions are non-quest-items and tradeable now.

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

In the quest delivery dialog the required objects are outlined in blue on top - if you click those blue lines the objects will be preselected. So it isn't automatic. More like a shortcut so you don't have to go through your full inventory to find something which is nested.
    I don't know if preselected is the correct english term, could be that I do a too literal translation from the correct swedish term.

Yes, they work as designed.
    However like I said it is my personal opinion that it isn't enough that the runic title has copy at the end since it seems to confuse a lot of players. Where it would be better to not have those specific quest items in runic font when there are so many of the non quest related ones which are not. It is just one of those - that is unnecessary - so the type of suboptimal things that bugs me but which doesn't really bother the majority of players.

Not players. It is just the case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand does.
    So one dev made the student quest and placed those books (lets call those originals). Other devs, worldbuilders, had already placed a lot of books in the world with different IDs, but at first they were almost all Lorem Ipsum books. Then another dev filled those book ids with the fable contents (and also the runic font ones) so then we had two different books with the exact name and contents where only one worked for the quests - but at that time the only difference was the weight and cover IIRC - that was fixed so that all the worldbuilder books became (copy) so that one could see the difference in the title.
    Then fast forward a year and another dev wanted to populate the loot drops with books (I think the idea originated from Richard to add flavor) those got weight and value - but couldn't at first be used for the quests - which has now been fixed.
    (So just to add confusion the 'copy' was actually there before the orginal and the loot came in last).

The usual stuff which happens in all projects like this. The only reason we see more of that process is because of the open development model and that we players are the testers but due to the noise to signal ratio from bug/wish reports means the process from finding stuff like that to actually getting it understood, replicated, jirad and then fixed is kinda crooked.

Like Alley says all the books are tradeable nowadays, including vendors. So you see them every now and then on the Ardoris vendor.
    The only limit now is that if you have an original in your inventory then you cannot pick up a second original from those locations. But if you put it in bank or place it at home or trade it away you can pick up another.
    So guilds sends players to those locations with an alt and trade back and forth so that they have plenty of spares for guildies. I thought that was an exploit and reported it but the answer came back that it was by design and if they wanted it locked they would have made them into real quest objects - fair enough - but another suboptimal thing that bothers me. ;)

Rentier, Jaesun and Alley Oop like this.
  16. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Okay, yeah, that would be the correct word. Maybe I just didn't notice the outlining because I was moving too quickly. They were near the top, below the yellow items, which surprised me.

Agreed. My initial assumption was that all the quest books would be in Runic, that's why they were hard to find. When I found some in English, I figured it would just be the hardest in each set that was in Runic. Having copies in Runic too... it doesn't add challenge to the quest, it just adds annoyance.

Thanks for the backstory on the copies!

I'm fine with the tradability. The quest text does encourage you to work together with others. And most of my alts aren't adventurers or even travellers; once I know where a book is, I COULD send them out to fetch it themselves, but it would just force me OOC and so annoy me, so it's better to just let their travelling sister bring it home. Most of the alts don't have enough nonviolent ways to earn rewards, so I'm happy to have this one. If they're weren't tradable -- well, the guildies would still just tell each other where the books were and go guard any noncombatants while they picked up their copies in adventure scenes, while solo players would be disadvantaged unless they were playing adventurers in the right regions.

Spoon likes this.
  17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

That would have been so cool, wouldn't it? That the quest items would be in the runic font and all the other ones are 'copies' of that and thus not part of the quest.
    Much better flavor-wise.

Yea.
    For me it would just be so much more clear for the players if it was one or the other.
    Either have them as proper quest items that are non-trade which you can only pick up in a unique location, or have them as common items with no restrictions whatsoever which if collected can be turned in like you finding them in some library or loot or whatnot.
    It is the mix of both that confuses and aggravates players unnecessarily.

Rentier and Bedawyn like this.
  18. Alley Oop

19. Alley Oop

20. Anpu

Anpu Avatar