Unacceptable LAG - Hopes for R70 and beyond...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steevodeevo, Sep 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I've been playing SOTA for years but what is unacceptable is the lag.

Pro Developers should be all over this.

I suspect it is to do with Unity as the selected dev platform which is allegedly a poor platform for dynamic MMO type games.

My worst fear is that we do have pro Devs but the platform choice was poor and despite their best efforts we will have problems forever. I hope not.

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What are you qualifying as "lag"?

[edit] I should qualify that question. There are a number if issues that people lump into the generic term "lag". There are currently two issues that I experience regularly in this game.

The first is hitching. That's where the client will freeze for some (usually short) amount of time. I believe that this is largely attributed to Unity.

The second is a condition where, while I'm in a group, the mobs will halt and take no damage for some period of time. This can last up to a minute (from what I've seen). I believe that this is a server side issue.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    Chatele likes this.
  3. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

Just gonna throw peer-2-Peer hosting is ehhhh

Chatele and Spoon like this.
  4. eli

eli Avatar

Desync is unavoidable, literally, with the server architecture.

If all of the internet cables in the world were perfectly straight and with no routing, there would still be 80ms of lag if there was someone on the opposite side of the world in your zone, which is more than enough to desync. It is literally the speed of light that is the limiting factor. Portalarium would need quantum researchers to overcome it :) that is why most games have separate geographic regions.

On the real internet, you are talking 120ms if you're with an Aussie and both have fiber internet.

The game attempts to hide this by basically ignoring non-host gamestates, which can mean terrible things for PvP.

But if you're noticing it in pve, which should be pretty tolerant to ignoring your gamestate (you might lose a blow or two of actual damage against a mob near death but you'd still get damage numbers), it is not desync.

When you /notice/ things like stutters, it's probably the PC hosting doing something like a virus scan or something IO intensive. Nothing the devs can address.

Cordelayne and Humbert_Humbert like this.
  5. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

I think its cool

edit: Thats probably too vague - But the sync issues, even with fighting PvE, a creature can be displayed as too far away to "hit" but they will strike you and you will take damage.. I wish there was a way to represent this somehow to the end user..

But even without such a magical invention there is the charm of the "dance". Without getting too longwinded I find learning the "sync-dance" to be a quirky kind of enjoyment.

6. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

If it is actual network lag you are experiencing, it probably has nothing to do with Unity.

7. Katu

Katu Avatar

They are using Photon Networking, its separate from Unity.
    They have designed the network architecture, not Unity.

There is single server with peer to peer magic. So many here complain about Steam and its patch sizes, that I feel that US players have mostly 1-10 mb connections, with maybe 1mb upstream. That with p2p, sucks. So even if I play with superfast connections, I still get lag, because other player at US is acting as master client and has dialup.

8. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Thank you for your feedback. Apologies my post was somewhat vague:

My lag comes in most of the forms described above-

I occasionally get the complete freezes, sometimes up to 20 or 30 seconds.
    When entering a POT I can often barely move for up to a minute whilst Deco loads. I usually zone in and then do something else for a minute before trying to run to my destination.
    Performance in POTs is generally flaky for me, running around I stutter.
    Performance on the Overworld can also be stutterery
    In a zone, if I am the only person I get good performance, often very good. In with others it degrades.

I do not have a new computer, but it seems to be a well balanced rig and plays other high demand games at reasonable levels of detail pretty well. Hence I cant yet justify a complete replacement system to potentially enhance one game. That said, I have heard others have performance issues despite having high end systems.

I have the following system -

Windows 10, 64 bit
    Intel i7-4770 CPU @ 3.4GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GForce GTX 760 (192 bit)

Running my broadband speed test (from my provider and independently) my DL speed varies a bit depending upon latency but ranges are as follows-

D/L: 38 to 53 Mbps
    U/L: 18.3 Mbps

I do try to run the game with a decent level of detail as SOTA is a beautiful game when level of detail is cranked up. I could of course dumb down the details but I also run other demanding games at high detail with very few issues.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Cordelayne, Barugon and Feeyo like this.
  9. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Its likely your location. I am in England and i can have fine performance mostly when playing solo but with others it can be slightly worse to unplayable really, especially bad if engaged in pvp.

10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The freezes you get are the hitching. And it’s continuing to get worse and worse.

This however, is a Unity issue. I can only hope the next release which does have a upgraded unity build might address that.

StarLord and Cordelayne like this.
  11. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

probably. I'm UK as well.

12. GMDavros

GMDavros Avatar

I've been finding that SotA has been eating up more memory as time goes on. With 16GB, i'm seeing it consume almost all available memory. If you're doing several things at once it may be pushing you over the edge.

13. dayero

dayero Avatar

the hitching has returned a few releases back on my way more powerful system even with the game on ssd. still i'd say upgrading your gfx card to a 1060 would help get rid of at least some of your issues + make a big difference in all other games. that's around $200-250 and can be done independently from other upgrades. benchmark performance is around 80% higher than your gfx card.
    but i have to agree sota performance sucks right now.

Steevodeevo likes this.
  14. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Holy Moly! I just logged in and I can barely move! It's like I'm playing on my old Apple II GS from my childhood. Is this a common problem now?

I am getting over 20 mbps on both my upload and download and I've listed my laptop specs below. Any suggestions? Thanks!

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz (12) System RAM: 32624
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 GPU RAM: 8031

15. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

What type of harddrive do you have SSD? or older spinning drive? If its an older IDE/SATA non SSD then it will always be slow loading deco sadly.

also your Graphics card is another weak point on that system. 760 is 4 generations old for video cards so it would be running pretty hard in SOTA. make sure to run on fastest with that card. hope that helps.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    Steevodeevo likes this.
  16. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Must be all those mannequins

17. Myke5161

Myke5161 Avatar

Didnt I read (and I've been doing a lot of catch up reading) that they are looking to move off the unity platform to a more specialized engine, sometime in the future?

My techincal experience upon returning to the game is much better then last year, but then again I'm on a much newer computer (AMD 3900x cpu, 1080ti, 32gb ram and 2tb SSD game drive) butter smooth everywhere, staying anywhere from 100 to 120 fps (on a 120hz monitor) except in big player towns (understandable, all those assests!) and Brittany Districts for some reason.

18. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Chris said he'd love to do that but it isn't financially realistic. He estimated an additional $6 million in funding and 2 years to change engines.

Cordelayne and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.