True privacy except Fyndoros

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Antrax Artek, Sep 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

At the moment there are several ways to interrupt any kind of privacy when you enter a map, this exaggeratedly spoils the pvp environment and makes your opponents always prepared and ready to run.

How?

-If you added someone on your friend list even against his will you're able to right click on his name and check if the "examine" option is there, that means the player is in the map. This happens regardless of whether you accept or refuse the friend request and can be done even right clicking on names in universe chat.

-Words of power which appears in chat at the casting of any magic skill are read by anyone at a considerable distance, it is quite simple even thanks to the help of external programs to receive a notification that alerts you when someone enters the map.

-Typing names in chat highlights them when that person is in the map.

-Words of power of magic skills warns everyone close enough when you buff up.

-You can tell when someone is online even if they are not in the friends list through the list of mail system names.

-Typing /point name in addition to revealing whether the person is present on the map even if now doesn't reveal his position anymore (this works even with other emotes).

The only possible way to invade the privacy of others should be fyndoro tablets, which have a limited use but the rest should really be fixed.
    I believe the above mentioned methods are what mainly kill the pvp in game combined with the private mode switch.

I sincerely hope that you can take a look at these problems and fix them.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  2. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

3. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

craftymethod likes this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

/points to R70
    :p

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  5. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Wish it wasn't just PVP. I don't understand why only the PVP players are allowed to have privacy, while the rest of us are forced to put up with creepers and stalkers and busybodies. (Fortunately, there aren't a lot of the creepers and stalkers in this game, but it only takes one.)

This issue, the containers thing.... I just find it bitterly ironic that the same groups of people who demanded that I be allowed no privacy as a solo player are now complaining that they don't have enough privacy.

Elwyn likes this.
  6. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

This has absolutely nothing to do with the post, the word privacy was not even suitable but, sincerely speaking, I wouldn't know how to express in English the fact of being rubbed out in advance every time you go to attack someone in pvp.

The subject is completely different and has nothing to do with not wanting to see other players, that is an antisocial behavior that is already encouraged enough in a MMORPG that has the social aspect as its fundamental component, while there is a mode specifically dedicated to single player.

If you wanted to express the concept within the scope of your pve your complaint would have been founded if when you enter a map all the mobs go away because they know in advance that you are entering, or that when you enter a mine all the veins come hide or change zone.

PS: PVP wasn't even mentioned in the main post, since many points affect both and any kind of playstyle.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Barugon likes this.
  7. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

It's not about not wanting to see other players, it's about the ability of other players to see things about you (like where you are, what you're wearing, whether you're online or not) that they've got no business knowing unless they're within clear visual range of you. It's about simply wanting to keep a low profile except when you choose to draw attention to yourself or go into a crowded public area. Privacy is very much the right word, and WHY you want it (whether for PVP reasons, because you've been harassed by creeps [which is common for online women], or simply because you're antisocial) should be irrelevant.

Only in the introduction to it, the conclusion to it, and the thread tag....

You're right, though, that these things DO affect many kinds of playstyles, which is why it's not fair for any fixes to apply only to PVPers, as the R70 "fix" says it does. We should all be allowed to mind our own business, without having OOC tools like /point or Examine or anything else giving others the ability to target us from an unrealistic distance, when we have no way to shield against it.

I assume you have no objection to people interrupting you if they've actually tracked you down the hard way in game. I'm just asking for the same consideration to apply globally, not just to PVPers. If someone wants to know what I'm wearing, they should have to find me the hard way and look -- not use Nearby and Examine to send creep-ass whispers to a stranger who hasn't even left their home.

Elwyn and Antrax Artek like this.
  8. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Personally it seems to me that we have the same idea and we agree, I don't think the changes should be only for pvp but in general, I'm sorry if I gave this impression.
    Also about the /point change i agree, should be extended to everyone.

PS: Sorry i meant, i didn't mentioned in the main thread that these issues should be fixed just for pvp.

Bedawyn likes this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I've long had the same opinion. Folks at risk in a PvP zone or hunting people in a PvP zone shouldnt have thier presence broadcast in roundabout ways.

To add to the list above (and is probably something a 3rd party program could take advantage of), for as long as i could remember, you can type /debug, and the debug messages will periodically broadcast the ammount of players present in your scene, as well as whether or not you are the scene master.

10. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

BTW the problem went from bad to worse with instant teleport scrolls, people can just type your name in chat and instant teleport away when you enter in the zone, doesn't matter if pvp zone or not.

11. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

That was one thing that I found a bit disappointing when I was running in a pvp group, only player had a pre-made message with full of names, that he pasted in chat every time someone new joined the zone, and it would highlight a pvp-ers name if it was that person that joined.

Also, does Fyndoros tablet still work? A guildmate borrowed mine and said he could still not see me using it. I haven't tested it myself yet, but it is something to re-try I think.

12. Restless

Restless Avatar

It’s clear at this point bugs which help pvers escape pvp will not be removed. Ladders and scene exits were supposed to be unusable in combat how many releases ago? Almost a full year now? Right clicking names on friends list and name spamming even in a whisper to yourself I reported in game to List even before the scene exit “fix” and also not movement in a fix.

And you can completely forget about flagged pvp exp in an unflagged group bug ever being fixed as even streamers are telling new players to use it and absolute silence from catnip.

13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I know for a while, there was a bot or something that reported any player vs. player activity based on API data -
    It was funny 'cause Scoffer was killing his alt for skulls for a deco project, and all these PvP folks kept showing up.
    I also know that some PvPers were using API data to determine when players were doing things in particular scenes (ie, player killed monster xx in scene yy) so they'd know victims were about, usually doing the story quests, and were able to 'follow' them through these means even if that person had themselves hidden on friend list and, probably also using some of the methods you describe above to determine if they were present.

I believe there's been a delay put on the API aspects of this now, so it can't be used in this fashion, this to me suggests that the intent is for players not to know this information about what players are where. If that is the intent, then I agree it should be addressed, you should only know someone's there if you actually can see them, or if you're close enough proximity to see if they're fighting something via the combat log (which is pretty close...). Not from an entirely different zone or across the map or by emoting and dancing about. That's silly.

Honestly, though, I think these methods are used to FIND victims more often than they are to AVOID PvPers ....if you're trying to do a quest, you're not going to take the time to point and emote and try to examine people on your list to see if they are there, you're going to run straight for that vault door as soon as you zone in and hope nobody is looking for you or laying in wait.

But I think either way if the intent is privacy, then it needs to be addressed.

Violet Ronso likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Haha, I've done that.

Anpu and kaeshiva like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.