1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok, just a follow up to share with everyone that is going bat sh!t crazy about this new development.

We're at the convention this year, and this morning, the VIP's were invited to Castleton with @Lord British

While we were waiting for the VIP's to show up, I was with LB, while he was unlocking the gate to the estate, and I ask him point blank if Portalarium was about to go bankrupt. His immediate response was, "Absolutely not!"

He went into more detail about what was going on and why between the two of us, and even shared the information with the VIP's, and concluded with stating that it would all be covered in this year's convention several times.

I just wanna say this to the community...
    @Lord British is in this game for the rest of his natural born days... @DarkStarr is in this game for the rest of his natural born days, @Chris is DAMN sure in this game for the rest of his natural born days.
    This is their home, same as it's yours, (If you want it to be) and same as mine.

2. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

I believe there should there be a State of the Game post from the new owner(s) - laying out where they are taking the players and what we can expect. Who owns the website, who owns the store, who's getting money spent there, etc. Everyone wants the game to survive, but someone (new ownership) has to sell the community on why we should continue supporting their efforts.

With all due respect, Brickbat

3. oplek

oplek Avatar

In what sense? That could barely be an accurate describer now, let alone the future.

4. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

Looking forward to see how things shake out. I hope for the best for everyone involved. Congratulations to all who this effects positively.
    Condolences to any it does not.

Fight on and come back a legend.

5. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Did you happen to get any tasty episode 2 morsels yet pardner? :)

6. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Congrats to the team on this transition. Keep up the great work!

7. Rince

Rince Avatar

Hopefully this time the money will really be invested in advertising, since the last saving by remote development I could not discover this, at least here in Germany. In my opinion something should change, only to reduce the costs and continue as before has not been enough and will probably not be enough in the future.
    I would be happy if Chris makes the right decisions.

8. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

Disappear into a hole, did he? One that put him beyond the reach of mortal men?

RG is still around, and can still have a great deal of presence here if he and Chris so choose. While this would no longer be in an official capacity his efficacy is not limited to that. He can still act as a source of advice and ideas, some of which may appear in the game in some form. RG and his LB persona can still perk the ears and catch the eyes of the press and gamers alike, which may be helpful should the game be promoted more heavily.

Even with none of that, if he simply chooses to stick around as a player, that in itself contributes to interest for the game in some.

Sean Silverfoot, Ostvel and Astirian like this.
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I support this. There is a lot to support in this topic. That is kinda surprising ^^

Paladin Michael likes this.
  10. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Hmm ok

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  11. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

It's good to hear that development of this game will continue with further support and we will see episode 2. But I also wish @Lord British would focus on a new single player game. Hell, make it isometric with Ultima 7-type story and memorable npcs and dialogue :) I would still continue to play Shroud as an MMO but I need my Ultima fix!

12. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Not to say that they are going bankrupt, but companies that are don't reveal that to the last possible minute and deny it up until then, otherwise they impact a whole lot of things like the price of things they can offload before liquidation. If they were heading that way, it would be incredibly foolish to confirm it to a group of fans.

OzzyOsbourne, MrBlight, Feeyo and 2 others like this.
  13. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Why only once . Bring them back for good..every month ... put back the 5$ crown bundle ( entry) in the store and money will start flowing in ... im just 1 player but used to spend hundreds on those telethons...bring em back and many will do so again.

14. CICI

CICI Avatar

Like a $5 pizza =)

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  15. oplek

oplek Avatar

Seems so. It's been over two weeks since he's even logged into the forums. From my observations, that's typical. At one point it was almost two months.

So I say that he's barely involved, and your response is "but he can be"? Yeah, he's not.

He can. Any evidence that he has? What are his latest contributions?

So more lying. That's typical for marketing, but it's usually not said out loud. It would be dishonest to keep touting him as having something to do with the game, when here in demonstrable reality, he doesn't.

That itself seems dishonest to me. You're not drawing people in because he actually guides the game, as he's not even the creative director anymore. No, we're now down to the pathetic level of "well he can whisper in Chris's ears and maybe possibly some of that will show up." You've got a name brand tricking people into playing. Though, that's how the game got funded in the first place.

But that seems to be the matra - by any means - screw anyone over - as long as the game keeps going.

16. Caernarvon

Caernarvon Avatar

This sounds like great news to me, it sounds like it's a complete win-win all round. Haven't been able to play for a couple of months due to r/l commitments, but I will say the game has been going relentlessly from strength to strength over the last couple of years and to me that's largely down to the energy and passion of Chris, no sleight on LB or DS or any other Port staff at all because things wouldn't be the same without their involvement, but it's clear Chris has been in the driving seat for a long time anyways, and I guess this just formalises that behind the scenes in terms of paperwork and what have you. Looking forward to coming back soon and many more pleasant years down the road adventuring in NB!

17. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

While being jelous about you guys LLCs tax rates.. I genuinelly support this and wish Catnip all the best in this new enterprise. Let's enjoy the ride

18. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

Yep, based on my observations, Lord British seems to be increasingly detached from SOTA.
    • LB's Forum posts from October 2017 to October 2018: almost 50
    • LB's Forum posts from October 2018 to October 2019: 6
    • No LB forum posts in over 7 months.
    I only rarely see him on live-streams.
    In the last 1-2 years, I have only seen him in game during a live-stream in which he participated (which was rare).

These are my personal observations, and I certainly could have missed much of his SOTA related activity.
    Does his activity level in SOTA really matter? I don't know. I think people who enjoy the game will play irrespective of LBs involvement.
    However, I think that it would inspire more confidence if the "spiritual leader of SOTA" were more consistently engaged with the community as a whole.

As far as Catnip acquiring SOTA: my confidence in SOTA has eroded over the years, and this new announcement does not really change the situation for me. The only thing that will begin to restore my confidence in the game is meaningful improvements, including the following: communication with the community, resolve frustrating GUI and game-play issues, etc.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Sea Bear, Feeyo, Cordelayne and 5 others like this.
  19. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

While LB doesnt maintain a concurrent activity rate every year, event happened in his life last year that i dont think i have to remind anyone. When LB do stream, hes actively talking about shroud and new feature hes planning to get in the game.
    I would say he is pretty active for a leader. I saw many leader who dont even help their own employee. I'm not a finish fan of LB like many, i do like him tought, followed his story, i like when he talk like anybody and certainly know that the game wasnt all made by his hand, but i know he make great game i like to play possible, and this is one of it.

20. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

As far as @Lord British and @DarkStarr go, I can only wish them fair winds and following seas as I consider both a class act and have been courteous in my few contacts with them.

I will always remember when I received the first dropped Cutlass of the Swashbucler and it had a minor glitch. The glitch was it did approximately 2 million dmg per hit on sneak attack. I contacted Darkstarr yet within 2 minutes LB showed up and had to be shown how to perform sneak attack. This was my most fun experience in SOTA next to our historic big battles. A shame I was not allowed to keep the “Glitched” Cutlass.

Maybe one day in the near future we can have another big battles and invite them both to be on opposite sides as a farewell gift.

R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.