1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Sword of Midras Printed Copy Reward Replacement

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Not ok and not happy.
    The whole book thing was handled in an unprofessional way - if there would have been clear and true communication along the way, I could accept this. But I do remember the explanation about the book not fitting the box and publishers not able to print to Portalarium’s standards.... etc.

the company did not properly accrue for the pledge rewards and was not able to fulfill them ultimately for lack of funds (better than lack of will)

There’s not a lot I can do about this and it’s not really worth more energy to spend on.
    I guess the second biggest KS game already is a good example on nostalgia driven irrational behavior.

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I have 2 accounts that are citizen or higher, and will be receiving these necessary substitutes.

I am content to look on the bright side and will be happy to move forward - together.

I'm here for the journey, and am happy to know that it will continue.

Thx DS. :)

Jaesun, Beli, Witcheypoo and 3 others like this.
  3. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Virtual items are not a replacement for physical rewards. You are legally required to provide physical rewards or provide a refund to backers to whom you cannot fulfill your obligations. So either source a copy of the book and get it signed for those who don't want pixels, or refund out those backers.

fantalio, arcdevil, smack and 6 others like this.
  4. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

As far as "favors" go, I'd be good with doing yourselves the favor of honoring all commitments going forward - which would mean not making any future promises which are reliant on other entities unless they have been locked down as actually doable. No offense, but you don't need to give fodder to the trolls.

Vladamir Begemot and Jens_T like this.
  5. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Not good enough.

I doubt this was a recent decision. Everything posted so far has been nothing short of procrastination and failing to admit it wasn't going to work. The physical goods were paid for and they weren't delivered. It's as simple as that. We're 5 years past the estimated delivery! There are physical copies being sold on Amazon! Get them signed and shipped out to customers.

6. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Reminder that on advice of counsel any threats of legal action are against policy. Those posts will be removed and the posters banned. Any invocation of legal recourse must be made through proper legal channels and cannot be made in this forum.

7. slash

slash Avatar

Wow. I don't participate here often, but I'm disheartened and disappointed to see the way discussions are "moderated" here (more like censored). This post is probably going to be deleted too, along with all other valid comments by people whose opinions don't fit what the company wants the public to perceive. @Lord British this is very sad, worse than the times of Blackthorn!

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Not to mention that posts like that do nothing more than divide us.
    Let's move forward, together...... ;)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That's not quite true. They would create a rubber master mold from the original sculpt. Then they would cast a bunch of pewter master castings, and use those to create several rubber production molds. They would retain the masters, in order to make additional production molds as they wore out. The process is actually fairly cheap. But the price of tin skyrocketed, so the end product became expensive. Plastic figures are cheap, but tooling costs are very high, making it the reverse- expensive molds, but cheap figures. But since the fidelity was much better, and the molds typically only need to be replaced every few years for injection molding, it was the better method in the long run. Finecast was an attempt to use the old rubber spincaster molds to cast resin. The detail was super crisp, but, well, anybody familiar with GW knows how that turned out.

Ostvel likes this.
  10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I can only speak to what I was told by their VP of External Affairs. :)

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ahhhh maaaaaann I missed the good stuff again. Seriously these are way better than a book.

12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

tbh I’m surprised but in opposition I have been known to voice my options and some times have been very direct I’ve only been moderated 1-2 times look how many posts I’ve made.

I mean I was never a **** about it but I’m very vocal and honest in my options. I’m pretty sure @DarkStarr is not one of my biggest fans.

StarLord and Witcheypoo like this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I can only speak to what I was told by their (now retired) Head of IP Development when my company paid to fly him to the US and help my department in its transition from PVC miniatures to injection molded ABS/styrene. He was the design studio head at the time they made the transition from mostly pewter to mostly styrene and digitally sculpted models, and supervised the process for them. :p

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Rentier likes this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@DarkStarr Please(!) don't overdue the deco in the library to the point where they all look exactly the same.

As an example the Duke Throne Rooms have zero interest to me because of the statues are in everyone one of them, so they all look the same. But if the alcoves had been left empty we could have placed mannequins, statues, lamps, etc in the alcoves, thus giving everyone their ability to make them their own.

We like to deco, we like to customize.

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ya, book r for dummies

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Great reward substitutes. Thanks for resolving this.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

An actual library room? With books built in?? I'm going to have to redesign my dungeon now I think....

18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Aren't they all the same book though? It's been a while, but I recall being disappointed with the quality of that library's catalog.

19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I'm not saying you are wrong my friend. Rather that I can only qualify that which I have been told by someone "in the know". :)

20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

And that might be a "don't over deco"... Perhaps a choice of books built in vs put in our own? Or at least in one part? I know the library is huge, so it might be unfeasible.

On the other hand, if someone really DID fill it out and make the games biggest library, then that would be a lot more impressive than placeholder books. And legitimately get visits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.