Heartstone Horrors?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Bedawyn, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

When I started playing offline last spring, I unintentionally picked up this quest in Soltown Catacombs (never finished it, since I wasn't prepared at the time). More recently, I've taken two separate characters through Soltown Catacombs looking for the trigger to start it, and I can't find anything anywhere. Has the quest beginning changed recently? Or is there some other problem?

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

the start of the quest is a random loot drop.

3. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

*sigh*

So staff put the time into developing a quest that many people will never know about, because once they've completed the scene the first time, there's no reason for them to go back to a Tier 1 area. I could maybe see it if it was maybe a 1 in 3 drop, so that you wouldn't get it with every mob killed but were statistically unlikely to miss it entirely. But not when I've had two separate characters completely clear out the area.

@Chris, @Sannio, please. As I said in the Ardoris Sewers thread, THIS sort of thing, not who owns the company, not whether there's enough Tier 8-10 scenes, not RMT or negativity in the forums, is what will keep new players or lose them. Please tell me you at least run some sort of stats to see how many players are starting each quest, and finishing each quest, so you can figure out which ones aren't successful and why.

The idea that in order to start new content -- that you presumably want players to engage with or why bother creating it? -- I have to repeatedly grind a scene I've already completed and am overskilled for.... and that ONLY if I happen to find out some other way that the quest even exists? *shakes head in dismay* THIS is what makes me hesitate to spend more time, money, or love on this game.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    majoria70, Grimace2 and Cordelayne like this.
  4. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

It's been a while but I thought there was a wounded soldier at the beginning of the catacombs that started the quest

Jaesun likes this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I think that soldier is in the beginning of the Solania catacombs. (It's been A while, but I think the quest spans both Solania and Soltown catacombs.)

6. Toular

Toular Avatar

If I remember right, there's a Skull Orator in the Soltown catacombs that I think starts the quest. The soldier is just inside of the Solania entrance.

Yes. I just checked my journal and I have "I met a Skull Orator down in the beginning of Soltown's catacombs. He tasked me with ..."

7. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Yes, the soldier is in Solania and is a different quest. The Skull Orator is in Soltown, but that's also a different quest, not the Heartstone Horrors one.

8. Toular

Toular Avatar

Coincidentally, I was watching some of the old dev livestreams today and bumped into one where they are doing a bit of a run-through of this quest:

At around 2 hours, 25 minutes.

Bedawyn likes this.
  9. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Cool, thank you!

10. nikmagini

nikmagini Avatar

@Sannio - I killed bloodbone footmen/archers/mages for more than one hour (probably at least 50 kills) in Soltown Catacombs yesterday night, but I didn't get a single Heart Stone as loot drop. How rare is the Heart Stone drop in Soltown Catacombs supposed to be? Could it be bugged? (I saw in another thread that it was dropping in Tartarus instead)
    Thanks

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Did you have the quest while killing them? It only drops if you have the quest.

12. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks for the posts! Added as issue #66000, but I already looked into it and saw a glitch in the set-up. The fix is already checked in, but won't be in until next release.

13. nikmagini

nikmagini Avatar

@Sannio - I confirm that with R72 the bloodbones in Soltown Sewers are now dropping again the Heart Stone as loot, I got one after killing about 20 bloodbones. Thanks!

Numa, Sean Silverfoot, Sannio and 3 others like this.
  14. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Woo hoo! Thanks for the confirmation!

Sean Silverfoot, Anpu and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.