Recap From SotaCon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

It would be cool to get a recap here from someone who went, is this possible?

2. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

3. oplek

oplek Avatar

Asking the hardball questions I see.

"What are your plans for the 5 episodes?"

"Do you have any long term goals or vision?"

CatherineRose likes this.
  4. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Good stuff! But who's that loud girl I keep hearing, dev?

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I loved rune books in uo, always thought it a huge misteak they never made shroud.

6. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Any new episode 2 info? I watched the first 50 minutes of the livestream but finally dropped out after like zero info on ep 2, the new company, etc. It was mainly a bunch of super in the weeds stuff.

Someone said in another thread said there was a bunch of great new ep 2 info from the con - any plan to share it with the plebs? :)

7. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Yes because I heard nothing like that... The stream was boring, nothing exciting. Was disappointed, it sucked.

8. ephialtes

ephialtes Avatar

9. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I was sad that i didnt get to go this year but after what i have seen/heard so far I am not so bummed now. Seems the entire event was a bit lack luster and thrown together. Albeit the tour of Castleton would of been awesome in the daylight. I saw bits of it last year but it was getting dark and hard to see. I never made it to the docks to see the boats and such. Theatre was awesome though. That would of been alot of walking for me to do though. LOL. And i was sad to see they did not have a King's Dinner scheduled. So yeah a bit of a let down i would think. I tried to watch the video of the stream from Friday but having bad connections on their end it was very hard to watch. The one thing i really miss by not going though was seeing the folks who showed up....and seeing some that i met last year. Shawn , Ludgar , Winfield and the devs ....Chris, List and Sannio. I didnt notice if Scottie was there or not. So sorry for folks if they were disappointed. Guess hard to top last years con.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  10. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

She is a dedicated player with a lot of input.

Its awesome to see people with such passion for the game...don’t you think?

I could not disagree more...great event!

Here, enjoying it, and feel like the team has rolled up their sleeves and are ready to do things...

Sure they push back on some things, but they have also accepted and are implementing change and innovation based on some very detailed conversations...

Wish you had made it, look forward to meeting you next time...

11. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

CatherineRose likes this.
  12. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Hopefully i can make it next year.

13. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

That was a poor mic setup that was picking up the audience more than Chris or Starr. Very disappointing.

Chatele and Sulaene Moon like this.
  14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Laz got a good recording of the stream from his own camera and the mixer, I'm sure he will post it in due time.

CatherineRose and Rentier like this.
  15. Datendrache

Datendrache Avatar

I'd like to chime in here. I had to leave early, but now that I'm home filled with impressions and reading the forums, I wanted to state the following:

1) The bombshell before the convention was the acquisition by Catnip Games. @Chris has been amazingly attentive to the ideas of the players. He had his iPad out making Jiras everywhere he went. He got an earful, but in the end he was more inspired, and I'm now more thankful than ever for having him in charge.

2) Yes, the Livestream had issues. However, the hotel chain IT expert was there and was trying to resolve the problems before the livestream started. He stayed with us during the broadcast but couldn't get a hard network line into the conference area. The event organizers were very transparent about what was going on and the concern about the livestream was felt by all the people in attendance who were monitoring, trying to help by relaying questions and trying not to consume bandwidth. Sorry to the people watching via Twitch, but kudos to the people in the convention area for trying their best to help despite the 5 minute streaming delay.

3) The interactions between the Devs and the Players were at an all-time high, with some of the spontaneous discussions turning into exciting new possibilities for events, features, contests, and more. Chris was not the sole developer that was inspired, taking notes, and discussing possibilities. Several "side discussions" started feeling like internal meetings as the team fleshed out ideas on the fly. Looooved it. :)

What I believe is my takeaway from SotACon is that it happened with perfect timing for Chris to plan the next steps for Catnip Games and Shroud of the Avatar. The Developers came together with the Players in a way that had a lot of chemistry. Some of these changes were shared on the Livestream, others with the camera off, and others with the footage that hasn't yet been shown.

Sincerely,

Engineer

16. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

WHAT HE SAID!!!

17. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Hi everyone,

I was only able to attend a very, very small portion of the SOTAICON event; I was there Saturday for part of a session, lunch, then dinner and dance party.

During that time, I learned @Duke Ezekiel Cooper stepped down as the lead planner for SOTAICON. He offered to anyone in the community to take this going forward.

I have volunteered to do this, if the community will have me.

I just posted a new thread about SotACon Austin 2020 and more leading up to it:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...eas-plans-and-coordination-starts-now.159505/

For New Britannia!!

18. oplek

oplek Avatar

The devs writing down unfathomable amounts of Jiras isn't really new. Most never see the light of day again.

19. Curse2

Curse2 Avatar

Perhaps the difference this pass was, they actually had open discussions about most of the proposed Jiras, and seemed to be creating them based upon their "doability"(an industry term). They pushed back on things that did not meet the "doability" test after discussion.

As an example: Taxidermy: The crafting of full scaled replicas of creatures.

They discussed the fact that they have most of what is needed graphically to do this and so forth, amongst the panel members, and will be implementing it.

Redhammer and CatherineRose like this.
  20. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Oh great another new game mechanic/system being build rather then finishing the ones that still need to be completed. 80%/20%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.