Wanted: RolePlayers! Have you seen them?

Discussion in 'Roleplayer's Corner' started by Fei Akhart, Sep 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Chris just said yesterday that the player count has been constant. Perhaps the RPers are just adventuring more, but there hasn’t been any decrease in players so a select few keep spewing

Fei Akhart likes this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

do you think a /rp room in chat in game would help? could be used to find others and organize larger-than-party events.

3. Fei Akhart

Fei Akhart Avatar

That would be a great idea. =)

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  4. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

SotA was my first foray into RP. I dabbled in creating a Quest, which was a lot of fun, but I never followed that up. So that is one form of RP, albeit not truly organic. I approached it as a DM, setting up a scenario and letting it play out with little bits to push the short story along.

Black Sails was my first forum RP interaction. That was a lot of fun as you got to be a bit creative in your story. However, it was difficult because, as mentioned, you have to RP for others.

My all-time favorite was the story we at House Serenite tried to participate in with Vikings. Not sure if that was some of you guys here now, but this is what I recall: OOC our founding guild leader, William Serenite, was in talks with the Viking's leader to set up a "caravan" of supplies needed to stave off disaster. We were excited about this prospect of interacting with a group that I think was new to the game at the time. IC the Vikings came, talked with us about getting help and then discovered that we were heavily into Death Magic. Unbeknownst to me (OOC and, obviously, IC), the Vikings abhor Death Magic or anything of the sort. This led to a quick IC exit from the POT by the Vikings, which itself was a bit odd. In my head, I didn't understand what was going on until it was explained OOC. But to my newbie RP self, I just couldn't understand why potential RP would be cut off so abruptly. Well, I did what any noob RP player might do if they were interested in RP - I hauled ass to their town to RP having them accept our aid despite their misgivings. I wasn't successful. I employed the "think of the children" tactic as a way to implore the leaders to forget our Death Magic obsession and accept much needed aid to avoid starvation. This played out nicely in a small setting where I was surrounded by the principals of the Viking town. To this day, this was my best RP experience in SotA.

Another great bit of RP has come from Khali. That's as much a result of the force of one person (much like the OP) and the use of an entire POT he set up.

These are all great examples of the types of RP to be had, aside from random encounters many have already talked about. And it's great how other RP can tie itself up in Khali, making use of the PvP POT mechanic.

EDIT: With respect to PVP combat and maybe not being proficient enough (I know that at 111 AL I do not feel proficient to participate in PvP), I have participated in some RP in other games that have factions. The way combat was handled was through dice rolls and a "DM" who would call out percentage health left from a player based on the action/roll. This ultimately led to a victor in combat, without actually using game combat. This allowed level 10 characters, for example, to participate against level 100 characters - the thought being that levels didn't mean better in RP, just more experienced combatants who could be felled by lesser experienced characters.

I've dabbled in other games with a bit of RP, but for some reason the setting in SotA seems better suited for RP. So it's a bit of a shame that it cannot happen more organically and/or more frequently. And therein lies the problem as mentioned by someone else - with little population overall it's difficult to imagine RP really taking off in-game.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  5. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

FYI for those interested, there is a #roleplay channel in the official SotA Discord (https://discord.gg/aW5Gka).

6. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I fall in the would like to need to learn to do it properly category. While the story players have created for the black sails is great, I am not drawn to PvP.

Boris Mondragon and Bedawyn like this.
  7. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

The PVP aspect of Black Sails was the culmination of the particular chapter itself. Now according to what I heard Chris will give certain trustworthy folks the ability to (GM) an event and unleash mobs like Cerus did with Travian games. How soon that happens I do not know but it would allow for an RP scenario ending in a PVE battle for those that do not wish to PVP. The main detractors from our Forum inspired PVP battles was the lack of larger parties and unfortunate friendly fire when more than two parties were on either side and you could not tell the difference between your enemy from your other friendly party. Hopefully that gets fixed sometime soon. What we did accomplish with Black Sails was to give the potential RPers a chance to introduce and develop their characters in a forum then bring them to life in game. R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever.

8. Trinity

Trinity Avatar

There were a lot of avatars that only participated in the RP and did not flag for PVP nor attend the battle. But if you want to be AT the battle but not IN the battle, that is possible also.
    For example, the video of the event by Engineer was not flagged and was in the middle of the battle. If you are not flagged PVP you can be in the mist of the action and not worry about PVP.

You should join the Black Sails story. We would love to have you participate. You can learn as you go.
    Before the Black Sails story, I was a RP virgin. To my surprise, no one laughed at my writing and now it is much fun.

9. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

The great thing about it was participation with the in-game PvP was optional. It's my understanding there was RP before and after - but I just heard that third-hand as I was not there myself.

10. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I'd love to see you DM Black Sails. In fact, it'd be cool if each of you (over the course of a very long time) could do parts/chapters wherein you get to DM the event. That's a very rich story you have all provided.

Boris Mondragon and Cirsee like this.
  11. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

Please don't take my message as being against you guys having some cool player created PvP; I have no grudges or issues there. I will have to see about that RP before hand, but I still need classes.. lol

12. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Not at all. Wasn't my intention to make you feel that way. No worries. I'm new to it all as well. I would say it's like swimming, better to just dive off and learn to swim ;).

Edit: Also, I'd say keep track of their forum post and you'll learn when the next event might be (not sure if there are any planned). The before/after would be ripe for RP if there are people there.

Boris Mondragon and Cirsee like this.
  13. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

I just wanted to give a long overdue heads-up: So, I find myself taking an extended break from SotA (though, knowing myself and how it went with other games, I usually don't come back after such "breaks").

Most of my friends either completely stopped playing, leaving big holes in my RP and in my life, or are taking a break as well. There have been no new roleplayers to interact with in a long time. (I mean immersive and consistent in-game interaction, everything else is not my cup of tea).

This game has the most awesome features for roleplay. But even people that used to be immersive roleplayers in other games find it hard to consistently roleplay here, and go a mix of IC and OOC that for me is too immersion breaking to accept.

There's very very much wrong with this game. It's totally frustrating (no-fun PvP, development catering only to same crowd of endgame players, lack of lore, ruined economy, totally joyless crafting system, to mention just a few). But I could handle all that, if there was enjoyable roleplay to be had on a regular basis. There is not. I tried for 2 years, and I am immenseley grateful to the people who joined me on this path. But it is not enough.

You may see me log in occasionally to take care of things. I am always in Discord, and if there's an event that could be fun, or new roleplay opportunities, please drop me a line, and I will gladly hop on and give it all another chance. Until then, don't expect to see much of me.

Gia2, Bow Vale, arcdevil and 3 others like this.
  14. Malek Zandor

Malek Zandor Avatar

That's sad news.
    Thank you for letting me meet you, Helvig.
    I enjoyed our little role-playing games.
    All the best for your future way.
    Malek Zandor

15. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

This is such a bad loss for the game. @Helvig Ingvildsdottir was the glue that held the RP community together. She would rally all to participate in RP events no matter your background. Hopefully thing will improve soon to give players a reason to stay. Be well dearest @Helvig Ingvildsdottir and keep looking out to the sunrise.

16. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Brother Magnus; I am retired from the RP community for the foreseeable future. Do support @CatherineRose and @T r i n i t y in their future Black Sails endeavors. R/Boris/El Pirata.

17. Trinity

Trinity Avatar

@Boris Mondragon The Sails may be BLACK but it is not the same without El Almirante Pirata

:(

18. Vrunk Hrrk

Vrunk Hrrk Avatar

C'mon Magnus, you know your favorite RP was buying fish from Vrunk !!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  19. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I never did get my fish stew!

Where is Vrunk? Sleeping off a hangover?

20. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Black Tortoise is always in character, if you happen to see him on the road or trompsing through the forests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.