1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

wish for ep 2

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Nick, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

Just my little wish for ep 2.

For Ep 1, it was first developed as an MMO, then a RPG game. We've seen how it turned out. So for Ep2, I wish that it is first developed as a single online player with a good storyline.

For the tens of thousands that did not show up at launch, perhaps, they are still waiting for that ultimate single player rpg game that Richard is capable of.

2. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Personally, My wish for the game is to do whatever is required to keep the lights on in the Online game.
    If that means forsaking the offline, then so be it.

Richard had high aspirations/dreams? for what this game could be, Offline, VR, different platforms etc, unfortunately those lofty concepts were way too much for a Niche game with a smaller team. (& smaller player base)
    I feel that this is because Richard had the Mindset "If "I" (Lord Brit) build it, they will come."
    He was hoping this would be the same runaway success of UO, but times have changed in the last 20 odd years...

3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Focus on Basic Core Functionality is my wish moving forward.

4. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Honestly, if they just halted all new stuff for a few releases and concentrated solely on the bug list, that'd be great.

5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Stop implementing new systems, focus on fixing bugs, and quest/story overhaul.

6. Nick

Nick Avatar

A good story telling doesn't need to be complicated. If it needs heavy grinding, then something is wrong.
    Agree that they should fix what's broken and keep things simple.

7. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Everything everyone has posted on this thread!

8. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I know the feeling. The grind is getting to me after all this time. Also, the amount of materials needed to make anything is excessive IMO.

9. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Grind is grind, and don't forget that when we play MMOs we play them obsessively. That's going to get old after a while for everyone! My suggestion would be to try a different game just for a little bit and then come back. It's very refreshing! Plus it gives a new perspective and and new ideas. There are a lot of free ones on Steam to check out. Epic has a free AAA title almost every day to download as well.

Witcheypoo, Jaesun and Sentinel2 like this.
  10. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Understood. Doesn't feel like grind in other MMO games I've played :D

11. ephialtes

ephialtes Avatar

Somehow I was always under the (false) impression that SotA would have a compelling single player experience that would hook some players to continue playing online.
    Just like the strategy that GTA V and RDR 2 used rather successfully.

Paladin Michael and Nick like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Avatar

You are not alone on this. When the game first launched, some of us were going, this is it?

What is past, is past. Most of the tech required is already there.
    A compelling single player experience will not be difficult to achieve. Lets hope they try to build a good story first, and not focus on building more incomplete tech.

13. oplek

oplek Avatar

Honestly, I think they should do away with the episodes. I don't think "episode 2" is even a meaningful phrase at this point.

It went from "A stand alone game with a storyline and gameplay, where some people bought early access before it's all released for eveyrone to buy" to "a set of changes we've decided to procrastinate on, which will trickle in over time for everyone"

Just call it what it is... ongoing development.

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well the thing about episodes is that this is not free. To get Episodes one so far must buy them which is good for the game. Other games like Wow charge for their episodes (they call them expansions) for one example.

One issue with on-going development is perhaps what is left to include with the episode to have players wish to purchase it? I love on-going development as well as a big deal episode release. Both is needed imo.

So if episode 2 for example is coming with for example Mounts, treasure hunting, new lands imo it would help to include a special mount or some item of particular interest.

Episode 2 should be a big deal. I have the episodes with my pledge but I still would love to see something that is saying this will happen. We can and should charge for our episodes imo. I even would like to go further and see special themed bundles on sale like a pirate bundle, mounts bundle etc which could include the episode as well and a chat orb of course. We are still a crowd funded game.

Witcheypoo, Nick and Paladin Michael like this.
  15. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'm not sure how well that's going to work, especially since having gone F2P. Honestly, I suspect they've forgotten that the "early access" is in the web store.

Is there going to be a paywall for entering the Ep 2 continent, when a person is just trying to join their friends? That's going to be detrimental to player retention. Or you can't mount horses outside of the Ep 2. lands, or the individual account can't? If there's craftable horses (let's hope there are), will the person be warned that they can't mount it?

I don't know that having paywall restrictions is going to be that great. If the game is F2P, it should fully embrace it. Generate some good will with the players who want to donate/support the game, and get a shiny armor pattern in the process.

16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What other game allows you free access to additional content?

17. oplek

oplek Avatar

Depending on the specifications, nothing comes to mind. Does it matter? Please make up your mind. Is the goal here to be like all other games, or to do its own thing? Whether it's a good/bad thing to mimic other games seems to be amazingly subjectively arbitrary.

And even beyond all that, how does that contradict the point that it could lead to player retention issues if areas of the game are behind a paywall? WoW may do that, but as people are fond to point out, this isn't WoW, and can't afford player loss. The population is too minuscule for that. It's almost like the context surrounding the game matters.

Then there's Fortnite. It's F2P with a cosmetic-only monetization. Whether has "expansions" isn't much more than a technicality. They're still doing ongoing development. It's not in maintenance mode. It's making a killing. Why not be like Fortnite, or is this one of those random times where no... NO... we WON'T be like that one. Invalid.

18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@oplek

The way it has been discussed before then the early access to episode 2 would be access to the lands and quests.
    Where all features/functions would be available to all.

Also mentioned that early access would be about 12 months and then moved to F2P.

So in the scenarios you outline, then you couldn’t zone to the new lands, but you could use the mounts.

Please note though that that was how they have mentioned their plans. No clue on if they will remain such since no commitments or announcements to that affect has been made.

19. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

What EPISODE 2 means for me:

STORY RELATED (and of course NEW) content --> It's a win situation for the whole game and all users!

@Chris / @Sannio / @Lord British, please consider:

1. Keep the NPC towns free from Player Housing. There are enough Outlander Owned Towns for decoration purposes.
    Let us have UNIQUE story related places/towns to have a unique story feeling ... (--> @Vas Corp Por style like latest Solace Bridge / Highvale Outskirts)

-> Chris said in a stream on Oct. 16, that this is exactly what Episode 2 is considering. @ Chris, I hope you realize it this way :)
    [Having it this way from the beginning, it would have been possible to avoid a lot of trouble with alot of disappointed early backers and of course performance problems.]

2. Give players the online / friends online mode for NPC (= story related) towns!
    So, as promised, EVERY player can play the story the way (s)he wants: alone or with selected friends!

3. Keep the new user interface clear of an input line, unless you have time to program a parser like Infocom!
    Everything else is just cause for annoyance. (early 80s text adventure: what word did the programmer want to know?)

4. Nice to have: let the NPC speak. (If not all texts in voice output, then at least welcome and farewell. No Mickey Mouse voices, please!)

5. Reward the Quester with plenty of XP! The harder a task is, the more XP there should be!

Also reward with some more Crowns! -> Who first got to know crowns and the uses in shop will certainly want to do more shopping ...

6. Reward Avatars after Quests with an ITEM update of their Virtue armor / weapons from Episode 1!
    (would be great! Well, if not: unique Virtue belts, rings, cloaks ...)

7. All story relevant places should be available as a map!

8. Let's make exploring fun! Show us only the spots on the map we've seen / explored! That makes it more interesting :)

9. special story related new enemies.

10. let us take the companions from Episode 1 with us on our jorney! I would also recommend not only in offline mode, but also in SOLO ONLINE :)

11. NO teleportation on new Island! (Magic prevents it, just that easy! ;) We can use horses now :)

12. Let there be Ultima 4-7 feeling ... again ... and win back those early backers who are still waiting for that kind of moment ... it can happen, if you want ...

Remember, please, what Bob's telling: believe, that you can do it - because you can do it :)

devilcult, Witcheypoo, Nick and 2 others like this.
  20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I do understand what you are saying but to do away with all paywalls in a crowd funded game won't work. The crowd funded aspect of this game was not my choice. I would haven chosen to have a regular company like nc soft or anyone who could afford to make it the way it deserved but that didn't happen so we are stuck with crowd funded whether anyone likes it or not. The best thing for the game is to offer great free-to-play content plus desirable buy-able content as well. Doing away with that would be disaster. Some can pay their entertainment money on a few things and some don't have any or want to but taking it away solves nothing. I say give those who can buy a little cool things things to buy. This is not totally a free to play game nor should it be imo. Players will and do get lots of content without spending a dime. I don't see that changing. I also am in the rewards program for this game plus pledging for it in 2013 and I am still happy about that and in this for the long haul.

Witcheypoo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.