With Episode 2 isn't it about time we had more choices in character appearances?

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Lace, Oct 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lace

Lace Avatar

With the dismissal of the duke heads for those pledges and the inability to follow through with that, isn't it about time that we have a bit more control over character appearances.

Players can spend approximately 5 dollars in IRL cash to change what might have been a whim decision on their character appearance in the new you facilities in game, but it offers absolutely no change in what we had to choose from nearly 5 years ago. If you want to change gender its is what 30 dollars .. really?Catnip/Poratalirum .. really? 30 dollars for a gender change as opposed to 25 dollars for a name change? This seems very wrong when, we have such limited styles to choose from.

I will admit I was a duke and didn't fret about appearance thinking I would eventually be able to customize, but since I cannot, I think these prices, and then choices need some re-evaluation.

While I get these new appearance models would cost dev time to create, I think you could milk that 5 bucks or so in cotos from giving more options. I also feel all dukes should get a free change since we kinda got screwed on this feature and while we got some things, it would be a nice to have. Also please help us understand why a gender change is so costly when outfits already conform to toon gender.... I am truly baffled by this one and don't understand why it is so highly priced as a service voucher.

Thanks for your time if we get a response.

(not being passive aggressive just know not all things are read or considered and not finding fault in that, but not tagging whole dev team unnecessarily)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Literally everyone playing would immediately change their appearance. And then a bunch would do it again the next week.

Jaesun, Violette Dyonisys and Elrond like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And ????

4. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

And that would be easy money for Catnip. I think a majority of the people playing would rather finally look different then the person standing next to them then having another level in a dungeon. Stuff like this is way over due and could help with new player retention when they have much more options of features for their avatar in the beginning.

5. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

This is probably something that could only be achieved when there was a sizeable team, or would take a while otherwise, I hear Chris has been talking with other developers of similar games, perhaps one of them has a system developed they can use? or are those relationships marketting based?

Good luck to em!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Even small variants would be helpful here.
    Just the ability to change the color of the baked in 'hair baubles' which are all for some reason, bright red, regardless of your hair color choice, seems it would be an easy enough thing to add.
    Same thing with hair colors themselves.

I know that new 'styles' would require a lot of work, not only in creating the art, but also making sure that each new hairstyle works with all existing hats/helmets, and I know its not high priority, but character creation is literally the first impression people get from the game and it feels like we're still using placeholder options from 5+ years ago. Cause...we are?
    Color variants on the other hand should be a lot less onerous to actually do.

I would pay -right now- just to make these stupid red things on my hair some other color.

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I saw a quote from a Sims 4 player about how the characer builder is their favorite part of the game.

Might be worth considering, since it may still be the most popular computer game in the world.

8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

And since making characters is fun, they should consider using the same system for us to customize NPCS as well. For a price, as we always say, hoping it will bribe them to make it happen.

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  10. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I remember something going around having elf race with special stats:p That would be nice!

Floors likes this.
  11. Floors

Floors Avatar

Having races would be cool.

It's hard to imagine anything much easier to implement for ep2. I mean you have kobold, elf already, come up with another race only on the serpent isles and make them all available (undead too ?)

And yes the character customization is below par, and is something that might help retain newbs. I think most of them peace out when they realize how much grinding is involved, because this is an old school game for old folks really and most new players play battle royale junk. so dunno if it will make much difference but it will make the game more interesting.

furries ? might appeal to a niche group and is ultima.

kaeshiva likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.